重庆大学22年8月《大学英语(2)》(第1次)

[复制链接]
发表于 2022-8-23 16:49:15 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
一、单项选择题(共 35 题、共 70 分)
The retired couple ( )a rich and colorful life.
A、
make
B、
hold
C、
have
D、
lead
Evidence came up ____ specific speech sounds are recognized by babies as young as 6 months.
A、
that
B、
which
C、
whose
D、
what
I'll never know all that was in his mind, ____.
A、
nor anyone else will
B、
nor won't anyone else too
C、
nor will anyone else
D、
nor will anyone else either
Not until Mary but also John ____ credit for what they have done in search of this case.
A、
do give
B、
are given
C、
has been given
D、
have been given
The manager promised to keep me ____ of how our business was going on.
A、
informed
B、
on informing
C、
informing
D、
to be informed
The experienced lecturer started his speech _____ a series of questions.
A、
at
B、
in
C、
upon
D、
with
The medicine is on sale everywhere. You can get it at ( ) chemist's.
A、
certain
B、
some
C、
any
D、
each
If I couldn't get a scholarship, I might get a job ____ to graduate school next semester.
A、
instead to go
B、
instead going
C、
instead of going
D、
instead go
( ) the bad weather, the football match had to be put off.
A、
In case
B、
Because
C、
On occasion
D、
Because of
Never before had I speak out my mind in public, so when someone asked to sing a song at the party, I felt too ( ) to do so.
A、
unwilling
B、
unfortunate
C、
pleasant
D、
embarrassed
He used to feel confident ( ) language ability.
A、
in term of
B、
in terms of
C、
in a term of
D、
in the term of
Not only was he good at English ( ) at mathematics.
A、
but also
B、
as
C、
and also
D、
so
His music has _____ millions of people around the world
A、
contacted
B、
reached
C、
met
D、
touched
Exceeding speed limits and ____ safety belts are two common causes of automobile death.
A、
failing to wear
B、
don't wear
C、
not having worn
D、
not to wear
The park was filled with people ( ) on their cell phones.
A、
talk
B、
talked
C、
talking
D、
to talk
Xiao Li proposed we postpone the journey to next month and everybody disagree ____ him.
A、
on
B、
with
C、
at
D、
to
Too much work and no time for rest is a ( ) on him both physically and mentally.
A、
cover
B、
burden
C、
revolution
D、
deposit
The local inhabitants will soon run out food because the transportation to the city are ( )by the enemy.
A、
cut in
B、
cut off
C、
cut out
D、
cut down
It has _____ to change your life with sound decision.
A、
probable
B、
possible
C、
continental
D、
potential
I saw him at ( ), not at ( ).
A、
my uncle’s...the Blacks’
B、
my uncle’s...the Blacks
C、
my uncle...the Blacks’
D、
my uncle...the Blacks
Something unexpected happened ( ) our way to the seaside.
A、
by
B、
on
C、
at
D、
in
While working, we should ____ to others.
A、
stop and talk
B、
not stop to talk
C、
not stop talking
D、
stop to talk
I have no cash in my pocket; I have to ( ) some money from the bank.
A、
bring
B、
take
C、
fetch
D、
Withdraw
The telephone ( ) connect you to the absent.
A、
are used
B、
using to
C、
are used to
D、
used to
This is the house _____ windows were broken.
A、
its
B、
which
C、
of which
D、
whose
The family came down in the world and the mother couldn't afford to ____ her children ____ meat and fish every day.
A、
feed... to
B、
feed... up
C、
feed... with
D、
feed... on
I remember my father ____ me to the beach when I was a very small child. We forgot ____ a towel and I felt very cold.
A、
take ... taking
B、
to take ... taking
C、
take ... taken
D、
taking ... to take
The mother regretted ____ her little daughter, for she found that it was her son who broke the vase.
A、
blaming
B、
to have blamed
C、
having blamed
D、
to blame
Go in quietly ____ wake the baby.
A、
as to not
B、
so as not to
C、
so as to not
D、
as not to
To show politeness, we usually greet an American ( ) his or her last name.
A、
to
B、
with
C、
by
D、
In
The servants ____ the silver before the guests arrived.
A、
polished
B、
ground
C、
sharpened
D、
painted
I ( ) by the teacher at the meeting next week.
A、
shall praised
B、
have been praised
C、
shall be praised
D、
am praised
I ( ) see the excellent performance yesterday.
A、
was lucky
B、
was fortunate to
C、
was fortunately
D、
was luck to
( ) you are in the world, when you walk in to our hotel we want you to have best lodging experience possible.
A、
Whenever
B、
Whatever
C、
Wherever
D、
Whoever
____ for your foolish act, we wouldn't have been suspected by the enemy.
A、
It had not been
B、
If it is not
C、
Had it not been
D、
If it was not
二、阅读理解单项选择题(共 5 题、共 30 分)
A few years ago it was fashionable to speak of a generation gap, a division between young people and their elders. Parents complained that children did not show them proper respect and obedience, while children complained that their parents did not understand them at all. What had gone wrong? Why had the generation gap suddenly appeared? Actually, the generation gap has been around for a long time. Many critics argue that it is built into the fabric of our society.
One important cause of the generation gap is the opportunity that young people have to choose their won life-styles. In more traditional societies, when children grow up, they are expected to live in the same area as their parents, to marry people that their parents know and approve of, and often to continue the family occupation. In our society, young people often travel great distances for their educations, move out of the family home at an early age, marry--or live with--people whom their parents have never met, and choose occupations different from those of their parents.
In our upwardly mobile society, parents often expect their children to do better than they did: to find better jobs, to make more money, and to do all the things that they were unable to do. Often, however, the ambitions that parents have for their children are another cause of the division between them. Often, they discover that they have very little in common with each other.
Finally, the speed at which changes take place in our society is another cause of the gap between the generations. In a traditional culture, elderly people are valued for their wisdom, but in our society the knowledge of a lifetime may become obsolete overnight. The young and the old seem to live in two very different worlds, separated by different skills and abilities.
No doubt, the generation gap will continue to be a feature of American life for some time to come. Its causes are rooted in the freedoms and opportunities of our society, and in the rapid pace at which society changes.
1).
Which one is NOT the cause of the generation gap?____
A、
Young people like to choose their own life-styles.
B、
American society is changing very fast.
C、
Parents place high hopes on their children.
D、
Modern education makes them think differently.
2).
Which of the following statements is TRUE according to the reading passage?____
A、
Parents should be more tolerable towards their children.
B、
The younger generation should value the older generation for their wisdom.
C、
The generation gap is partly created by the older generation.
D、
The generation gap should be avoidable in American society.
3).
In American society, young people often ____.
A、
rely on their parents to make a life
B、
stay with their parents in order to get an opportunity for higher education
C、
seek the best advice from their parents
D、
have very little in common with their parents
4).
The main idea of the first paragraph is that ____.
A、
the generation gap suddenly appeared
B、
the generation gap is a feature of American life
C、
how people can reduce the generation gap
D、
many critics argue over the nature of the generation gap
5).
The word "around" in paragraph 1 means ____.
A、
on all sides
B、
in every direction
C、
near
D、
in existence
Under normal conditions the act of communication requires the presence of at least two persons: one who sends and one who receives the communication. In order to communicate thoughts and feelings, there must be a conventional system of signs or symbols which mean the same to the sender and the receiver.
The means of sending communications are too numerous and varied for systematic classification; therefore, the analysis must begin with the means of receiving communication. Reception of communication is achieved by our senses. Sight, hearing, and touch play the most important roles. Smell and taste play very limited roles, for they cannot receive intellectual expression from fully developed systems of signs and symbols.
Examples of visual communication are gesture and mimicry. Although both frequently accompany speech, there are systems that rely solely on sight, such as those used by deaf and dumb persons. Another means of communicating visually is by signals of fire, smoke, flags, or flashing lights. Feelings may be simply communicated by touch, such as by handshaking or backslapping, although a highly developed system of handstroking has enabled blind, deaf, and dumb persons to communicate intelligently. Whistling to someone, applauding in a theater, and other forms of communication by sound rely upon the ear as a receiver. The most fully developed form of auditory communication is, of course, the spoken language.
The means of communication mentioned so far have two features in common: they last only a short time, and the persons involved must be relatively close to each other. Therefore, all are restricted in time and space.
1).
The author specifically mentions that speech is ____.
A、
less important than the written form of language
B、
assisted by touch, gesture, etc
C、
the only highly developed system of communication
D、
the most developed form of communication based on hearing
2).
Which of the following statements about the ways of communicating ideas and feelings mentioned in the passage is FALSE?
A、
They can be used to communicate over long distances.
B、
They require both a sender and a receiver.
C、
They involve use of conventional signs and symbols.
D、
They utilize the senses for reception.
3).
Which of the following statements about communication by touch is TRUE?
A、
Touch is less important than taste as a means of communication.
B、
There is no well-developed system of communication based on touch.
C、
It is possible to communicate intelligently by touch alone.
D、
Touch must accompany visual communication.
4).
The author explains that he will deal with reception of communication first because ____.
A、
communication actually takes place when the message is received
B、
there are more means of receiving than of sending communications
C、
reception of communication involves use of the senses.
D、
it is difficult to list all the possible means of sending communications
5).
Persons who cannot see, hear, or speak are able to communicate through a system of ____.
A、
gesturing
B、
handshaking
C、
backslapping
D、
handstroking
Some children are backward in speaking. Most often the reason for this is that the mother is insensitive to the cues and signals of the infant, whose brain is programmed to mop up(吸收) language rapidly. There are critical times, it seems, when children learn more readily. If these sensitive periods are neglected, the ideal time for acquiring skills passes and they might never be learned so easily again. A bird learns to sing and to fly rapidly at the right time, but the process is slow and hard once the critical stage has passed.
Linguists suggest that speech milestones are reached in a fixed sequence and at a constant age, but there are cases where speech has started late in a child who eventually turns out to be of high IQ (Intelligence Quotient(智商). At twelve weeks a baby smiles and utters vowel-like sounds; at twelve months he can speak simple words and under- stand simple commands; at eighteen months he has a vocabulary of thirty to fifty words. At three he knows about 1000 words which he can put into sentences, and at four his language differs from that of his parents in style rather than grammar.
Recent evidence suggests that an infant is born with the capacity to speak. What is special about man's brain, compared with that for the monkey, is the complex system which enables a child to connect the sight and feel of, say, a teddy-bear with the sound pattern "teddy-bear". And even more incredible(不可思议) is the young brain's ability to pick out an order in language from the hubbub(喧哗) of sound around him, to analyse, to combine and recombine the parts of a language in novel ways.
But speech has to be triggered(触发), and this depends on interaction between the mother and the child, where the mother recognizes the cues and signals in the child's babbling, (咿咿呀呀) clinging, grasping, crying, smiling, and responds to them. Insensitivity of the mother to these signals dulls the interaction because the child gets discouraged and sends out only the obvious signals. Sensitivity to the child's non-verbal cues is essential to the growth and development of language.
1).
Which of the following is NOT implied in the passage?
A、
The faculty of speech is inborn in man.
B、
Children do not need to be encouraged to speak.
C、
The child's brain is highly selective.
D、
Most children learn their language in definite stages.
2).
Which of the following is true according to the passage?
A、
By the age of a year and a half the child's vocabulary is still under 100 words.
B、
By the age of four children still make many grammatical mistakes.
C、
The author does not believe that children select and analyse their language.
D、
All children of high IQ start to speak early.
3).
It the mother does not respond to her child's signals ____.
A、
the child will never be able to speak properly
B、
the child will stop giving out signals
C、
the child will invent a language of its own
D、
the child will make little effort to speak
4).
The reason some children are backward in speaking today is that ____.
A、
they do not listen carefully to their mothers
B、
their brains have to absorb too much language at once
C、
their mothers do not respond to their attempts to speak
D、
their mothers are not intelligent enough to help them
5).
By "critical times" the author means ____.
A、
difficult periods in the child's life
B、
moments when the child becomes critical towards its mother
C、
important stages in the child's development
D、
times when mothers often neglect their children
Reading time: 6 minutes
Paying Your Way
There were red faces at one of Britain's biggest banks recently. They had accepted a telephone order to buy £ 100,000 worth of shares from a fifteen-year-old schoolboy (they thought he was twenty-one). The shares fell in value and the schoolboy was unable to pay up. The bank lost £ 20,000 on the deal which it cannot get back because, for one thing, this young speculator does not have the money and, for another, being under eighteen, he is not legally liable for his debts. If the shares had risen in value by the same amount that they fell, he would have pocketed £ 20,000 profit. Not bad for a fifteen-year-old. It certainly is better than delivering the morning newspaper. In another recent case, a boy of fourteen found, in his grandmother's house, a suitcase full of foreign banknotes. The clean, crisp, banknotes looked very convincing but they were now not used in their country of origin or anywhere else. This young boy headed straight to the nearest bank with his pockets filled with notes. The cashiers did not realise that the country in question had reduced the value of its currency by 90%. They exchanged the notes at their face value at the current exchange rate. In three days, before he was found out, he took £ 200,000 from nine different banks. Amazingly, he had already spent more than half of this on taxi- rides, restaurant meals, concert tickets and presents for his many new girlfriends (at least he was generous!) before the police caught up with him. Because he is also under eighteen the banks have kissed goodbye to a lot of money, and several cashiers have lost their jobs.
Should we admire these youngsters for being enterprising and showing initiative or condemn them for their dishonesty? Maybe they had managed for years with tiny amounts of pocket money that they got from tight-listed parents. Maybe they had done Saturday jobs for peanuts. It is hardly surprising, given the expensive things that young people want to buy, such as fashionable running shoes and computer games, if they sometimes think up more imaginative ways of making money than delivering newspapers and baby-sitting. These lads saw the chance to make a lot of money and took it.
Another recent story which should give us food for thought is the case of the man who paid his six-year-old daughter £ 300 a week pocket money. He then charged her for the food she ate and for her share of the rent and household bills. After paying for all this, she was left with a few coins for her piggy bank.. "She will soon learn the value of money," he said. "There's no such thing as a free lunch. Everything has to be paid for and the sooner she learns that the better." At the other extreme there are fond parents who provide free bed and board for their grown-up children. While even the most hard-hearted parents might hesitate to throw their children out on the streets, we all know of people in their late twenties who still shamelessly live off their parents. Surely there comes a time when every- one has to leave the parental nest, look after themselves and pay their own way in life. But when is it?
1).
The writer's attitude to the example of the two boys who cheated the banks is ____
A、
positive
B、
questioning
C、
neutral
D、
negative
2).
It can be concluded from the article that the writer believes that ____
A、
parents should give more pocket money to their children
B、
children should leave the parental nest as soon as possible
C、
grown-up children should support themselves
D、
children should learn to be economical
3).
The reason why the man paid his daughter £300 a week pocket money and then required her to pay for her living expenses was that he wanted her to learn ____
A、
to bear the hardships of life
B、
how to live comfortably on her own pocket money
C、
the value of money
D、
how to save money
4).
One of Britain's biggest banks recently ____
A、
received a telephone order to buy shares for a twenty-one year old
B、
lost a lot of money because the shares they bought fell in value
C、
bought quite a lot of shares for a customer and caused him to lose money
D、
lost money as its young customer did not have the money to pay his debts
5).
According to the passage, the young customer would have ____
A、
earned £ 20,000, if the shares had gone up in value by the same amount they fell
B、
paid his debts, if he had had the money to do so
C、
continued to cheat banks, if he had not been found out
D、
to go to prison, if he did not pay the money back
Sylvester and I are watching television advertisements because we need information for a class research project. We have to discuss realism and fantasy ( 幻想 ) in television advertising, and so we are looking for examples of distortions ( 歪曲 ) and falsehoods in television commercials. The question we are asking is, "Is the commercial true to life, or does it offer an unreal picture of the product? "
Sylvester is keeping track of the distortions, and he already has quite a long list. He says that all housewives seem to live in lovely homes, dress beautifully, and love their household chores. They smile and boast about floor waxes and proudly display their dirty laundry, dusty tabletops, and filthy ovens. In addition, he has never seen men doing housework. Sylvester thinks that this view of family life is filled with distortions.
I am keeping track of the people who appear in the advertisements. I have found handsome men courting the All-American Girl, and they are always recommending brand X toothpaste or brand Y cologne. I see teenagers and children surrounded by their friends, having wonderful times at parties and at school, and they are usually enjoying large harmonious family gatherings. I think that these advertisements are also filled with fantasy.
Sylvester and I have concluded that much of American life is pictured unrealistically in commercials. Teenagers do not always have fun at parties, and very few people love doing chores. People do have problems, but few of these are ever shown in commercials. Instead, we watch Cinderella ( 灰姑娘 ) discover a miracle floor wax, finish the kitchen chores, and waltz off to the ball. Our heads are filled with these fantasies, and they also suggest that, for any problem, brand Z will provide the instant cure. Sylvester and I will have very few facts and a lot of fantasy to write about in our research reports.
1).
The author thinks that life of teenagers shown in commercials is ____.
A、
interesting
B、
wonderful
C、
unrealistic
D、
true to life
2).
The most suitable title for the passage would be ____.
A、
A Class Research Project
B、
American Life As Shown by TV
C、
Beautiful Commercials
D、
Distortions in TV Advertisements
3).
Sylvester and the author have come to the conclusion that commercials ____.
A、
truly reflect American life
B、
lack in fantasy
C、
seldom give expression to people's real problems
D、
give great fun to children
4).
Judging from the context, Sylvester and the author are most probably ____.
A、
classmates
B、
teacher and student
C、
father and son
D、
research workers
5).
Sylvester has found that in advertisements housewives ____.
A、
are sad and tired
B、
enjoy doing their housework
C、
have their husbands help them
D、
never touch dirty things

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表