只需一步,快速开始

查看: 1429|回复: 0

[离线作业] 东北农业大学13春《大学英语》作业题9(difficult)答案

[复制链接]
发表于 2013-8-15 10:08:31 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
东北农业大学13春《大学英语》作业题9(difficult)
Part I Structure and Vocabulary
Directions:
There are 30 incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. choose one answer that best completes the sentence and blacken the corresponding letter on ANSWER SHEET .
1. People with fitting ______ are  more likely to success in reaching them.
    A) results        B) intentions        C) goals       D) desires
2. "Do you know that girl with long hair?" "I don't think so, although she
   ______ me of someone I know.  
    A) remembers      B) recalls        C) reminds       D) suggests
3. "Whose fault? "The accident clearly resulted ______ your carelessness.
    A) in             B) on             C) from          D) for
4. We should draw ______ what is progressive in foreign culture.
    A) on             B) out            C) in            D) up
5. Don't hesitate to ask me for help ______ any difficulty.
    A) in case        B) in case of     C) in a case     D) in the case of
6. I'm sure your mother would not approve ______ that sort of behavior.
    A) to             B) with           C) of            D) for
7. I am running ______ petrol, so I have to stop at the next filling
    station.
    A) out            B) up to          C) up            D) out of
8. ______ raining, we have to stay home for days.
    A) It being       B) Being          C) Because its   D) Because of it is
9. We can not study English well, ______ we practise it from time to time.
    A) so long as     B) if             C) unless        D) since
10. "What will you do during Christmas vacation?" "I don't know, but it's
    about time ______ on something."
    A) I'm deciding   B) I'll decide    C) I'd decided   D) I decided
11. Anne's work was ______ ours.
    A) as good as, if not better than,  B) so good as, if not better,
    C) I'd decided,                      D) I decided,
12. "He helps you quite a lot." "We feel grateful ______ his help."
    A) to          B) for              C) in         D) with
13. "What happened to the flower I gave you?" "The flower would have grown
    well, but I ______ it."         
    A) had not watered                 B) would not water
    C) did not water                   D) should have watered
14. She was proud of her son ______ the first prize in the competition.
    A) to be won     B) being won   C) to have won    D) having won
15. ______ his number for an hour only to hear a signal, she became
    impatient and called the operator for assistance.
    A) Dialing       B) Being dialed      C) Dialed     D) Having dialed
16. They have been looking for the boy all the morning but he is nowhere     
    ______.
    A) to see        B) seen        C) to be seen    D) seeing
17. Many a college student ______ to return to the easy days of high school.
    A) wish          B) have wished   C) wishes    D) has been wished
18. On no account ______ be removed from the library.
    A) reference books may        B) may reference books
    C) reference books can't       D) reference books
19. We propose to ______ our own house to our taste.
    A) present       B) furnish      C) describe     D) equip
20. They showed me some photos and I had to try to _____ the man that I saw coming out of the post office.
    A) place       B) identify    C) watch out     D) see to
21. I want a pair of shoes to ______ my suit.
    A) go with     B) go for      C) go by         D) go after
22. At the end of the term attendance at these classes usually falls ______.
    A) apart       B) over        C) off           D) down
23. In my youth I was capable of spending days ______ playing electric
    train.
    A) at length   B) on end      C) in full       D) in time
24. Roony's steps ______ in the dark and there was a moment of absolute
    silence.
    A) died away   B) died off    C) died back     D) died out
25. Whom do you thin I ______ the other day when I w was shopping in the
    city.
    A) ran off     B) ran on      C) ran out       D) ran into
26. A searcher for art treasures must have patience, and ______, the ability
    to recognize the worth of something when he sees it.
    A) after all   B) all in all  C) above all     D) for all
27. He can use the bicycle ______ he returns tomorrow.
    A) except that   B) on condition that  C) even if    D) considering whether
28. The cause of his early success ______ modesty, hard-working and
    intelligence.
    A) lies on     B) lies to    C) lies in     D) lies by
29. It's only a little way to the station, so we might as ______ walk.
    A) good        B) well       C) now         D) quick   
30. I haven't decided which hotel ______.
    A) to stay     B) to stay at   C) is to stay at   D) is for staying
Part II Reading Comprehension
Direction:
There are four reading passages in this part. Each passage is followed by five question, for each question there are four suggested answers marked A, B, C and D. Choose the best answer and blacken the corresponding letter on ANSWER SHEET.
Questions 31 to 35 are based on the following passage:
     Jogging has become the most popular individual sport in America.  It has become commonplace to see people of all ages running along city streets, in parks and along special jogger's trails that have been built in some cities.  Many theories, even some mystical ones, have been advanced to explain the popularity of jogging.  The plain truth is that jogging is a cheap, quick and efficient way to maintain (or achieve) physical fitness.
      The most useful sort of exercise is exercise that develops the heart, lungs, and circulatory systems.  If these systems are fit, the body is ready for almost any sport and for almost any sudden demand made by work or emergencies.  One can train more specifically, as by developing strength for weight-lifting or the ability to run straight ahead for short distances with great power as in football, but running trains your heart and lungs to deliver oxygen more efficiently to all parts of your body.  It is worth nothing that this sort of exercise is the only kind that can reduce heart disease, the number one cause of death in America.  Only one sort of equipment is needed--a good pair of shoes.  Physicians advise beginning joggers not to try to run in a tennis or gym shoes.  Many design advances have been made in only the last several years that make an excellent running shoe indispensable if a runner wishes to develop as quickly as possible, with as little chance of injury as possible.  A good running shoe will have a soft pad for absorbing shock, as well as a slightly built-up heel and a full heel cup that will give the knee and ankle more stability.  A wise investment in good shoes will prevent blisters and foot, ankle, and knee injuries and will enable the wearer to run on paved or soft surfaces.
     No other special equipment is needed; you can jog in any clothing you desire, even your street clothes.  Many joggers wear expensive, flashy warm-up suits, but just as many wear a simple pair of gym shorts and a T-shirt.  In fact, many people just jog in last year's clothes.  In cold weather, several layer of clothing are better than one heavy sweater or coat.  If joggers are wearing several layers of clothing, they can add or subtract layers as conditions change.  It takes surprisingly little time to develop the ability to run.  The American Jogging Association has a twelve-week program designed to move from a fifteen-minute walk (which almost anyone can manage who is in reasonable health) to a thirty-minute run.
     A measure of common sense, a physical examination, and planned schedule are all it takes.
31.  The main purpose of this passage is to _______.
    A)  discuss jogging as a physical fitness program
    B)  describe the type of clothing needed for jogging
    C)  provide scientific evidence of the benefits of jogging
    D)  distinguish between jogging as a popular fitness program and a
        specially designed physical exercise
32.  The most useful kind of exercise is one that _______.
    A)  trains the body for weight lifting
    B)  enables a person to run straight ahead for short distances with         great power
    C)  is both beneficial and inexpensive
    D)  develops the heart, lungs and circulatory systems
33.  We can conclude from this passage that _______.
    A)  because of jogging, heart disease is no longer an American problem
    B)  jogging can be harmful if the running is not properly prepared
    C)  warm-up suits are preferable to gym shorts and T-shirts
    D)  jogging is bad for the ankles and knees
34.  The author's tone is _______.
    A)  approving   B)  critical        C)  purely objective  D)  angry  
35.  According to the author, one thing a beginning jogger needs most is
    _______.
    A)  a pair of shoes like tennis or gym shoes
    B)  a pair of shoes different from tennis shoes in color
    C)  a simple pair of gym shorts and T-shirt
    D)  a pair of shoes different from tennis shoes in make
Questions 36 to 40 are based on the following passage:
      Everyone talks about the "five" senses of man.  And it's true that we get our information about the outside world from out sense of sight, hearing, smell, touch and taste.  Researchers tell us that the sense of sight--our visual sense--gives us up to 80% of what we know about the world outside our bodies; while the other senses, the auditory (hearing), the olfactory (smell), the tactile (touch), and the gustatory (taste) bring into our brains information about the other twenty percent of what is happening.  But there are two other senses that we cannot get along without, though they are very seldom given any credit for helping us to survive in this difficult world.  These are the sense of balance, and the kinesthetic sense.
     The sense of balance, without which we would act like a drunkard after a heavy bout with the bottle, is located in the inner ear.  The inner ear contains three curved tubes (the semi-circular canals) filled with liquids.  The shifting of these liquids activates nerve endings in the linings of the canals, and nerve impulses from these nerve endings help our brains to keep us upright.
      The kinesthetic sense is actually made up of nerve impulses that arise from nerves planted in close contact with our muscles.  These nerve messages are constantly telling us what position our limbs, trunk and head are in.  They serve as a continuous "feedback" system to help us know how to move our various parts, and when to hold them still.  Otherwise, we would lack the coordination to run, jump, dance, twist, or even sit still.  Incidentally, the word "kinesthetic" comes from two Greek words meaning "motion" and "feeling".  The kinesthetic sense gives us our ideas about our own motion.
36.  The best title for this passage is _______.
    A)  Our Five Major Senses             B)  The Overlooked Senses  
    C)  The Most Important Sense          D)  The Sense of Balance
37.  What is the main idea of the passage?
    A)  We get most of our information about the outside world from our
        senses of sight, hearing, smell, touch and taste.
    B)  The sense of sight gives us up to 80% of what we know about the
        world outside our bodies.
    C)  The sense of balance keeps us upright.
    D)  Two important senses which are often over-looked are the
        kinesthetic sense and the sense of balance.
38.  The kinesthetic sense is located in the _______.
    A)  nerves    B)  brain   C)  skin       D)  inner ear
39.  Nerve impulses originating in the inner ear _______.
    A)  keep us vertical                 B)  regulate our hearing
    C)  give us our ideas about our motion
    D)  tell us what is happening in the outside world
40.  People who cannot see are able to get along in the world, but it
     would be probably most difficult to get along if we lost the use of
     the _______.
    A)  sense of smell    B)  sense of touch   C)  sense of taste    D)  kinesthetic sense
Questions 41 to 45 are based on the following passage:
     Good sense is the most equitably distributed thing in the world, for each man considers himself so well provided with it that even those who are most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually wish to have more of it than they have already.  It is not likely that everyone is mistaken in this; it shows, rather, that the ability to judge rightly and separate the true from the false, which is essentially what is called good sense or reason, is by nature equal in all men, and thus that our opinions differ not because some men are better provided with reason than others, but only because we direct our thoughts along different paths, and do not consider the same things.  For it is not enough to have a good mind; what is most important is to apply it rightly.  The greatest souls are capable of the greatest evils, and those who walk very slowly can advance much further, if they always keep to the direct road, than those who run and go astray.  And I know of no other qualities than these which make for the perfection of the mind; for as to reason, or good sense, because it alone makes us men and distinguishes us from the beasts, I am quite willing to believe that it is whole and entire in each of us.
41.  According to the author, the ability to distinguish between the true
     and the false is _______.
     A)  given by nature to all creatures
     B)  given in equal measure to all persons
     C)  more heavily present to some persons than in others
     D)  an unnatural, cultivated characteristic in all persons
42.  The author claims that what sets human beings apart from beasts is
     ______.
     A)  a sense of organization combined with the ability to create
     B)  the ability to adapt to the surroundings
     C)  a sense of reason coupled with a strong sense of practicability
     D)  a sense of reason
43.  The basic idea of the passage may be stated as follows:
     A)  All persons have an equal portion of good will when they are born.
     B)  Great souls are capable of great evils.
     C)  Good sense, in terms of its distribution among persons, may be
         called common sense.
     D)  Good sense is the mark of the truly good person.
44.  According to the author, a good sense is _______.
     A)  the ability to distribute things equally
     B)  the ability to judge correctly and to distinguish the true from
         the false
     C)  the ability to direct our thoughts along different paths
     D)  the ability to always keep to the direct road
45.  By "Good Sense" the author means _______.
     A)  the power to deduce        B)  the power to make a good judgement
     C)  a good feeling for actors    D)  the power to understand

Questions 46 to 50 are based on the following passage:
     Time spent in a bookshop can be most enjoyable, whether you are a book-lover or merely there to buy a book as a present.  You may even have entered the shop just to find shelter from a sudden shower.  Whatever the reason, you can soon become totally unaware of your surroundings.  The desire to pick up a book with an attractive dust-jacket is irresistible, although this method of selection ought not to be followed, as you might end up with a rather dull book.  You soon become engrossed in some book or other, and usually it is only much later that you realize you have spent far too much time there and must hasten to keep some forgotten appointment--without buying a book, of course.
     This opportunity to escape the realities of everyday life is, I think, the main attraction of a bookshop.  There are not many places where it is possible to do this.  A music shop is very much like a bookshop.  You can wander round such places to your heart's content.  If it is a good shop, no assistant will approach you with the inevitable greeting:  "Can I help you, sir?"  You needn't buy anything you don't want.  In a bookshop, an assistant should remain in the background until you have finished browsing.  Then, and only then, are his services necessary.  Of course, you may want to find out where a particular section is, but when he has led you there, the assistant should leave politely and look as if he is not interested in selling a single book.
      You have to be careful not to be attracted by the variety of books in a bookshop.  It is very easy to enter the shop looking for a book on ancient coins and to come out carrying a copy of the latest best-selling novel and perhaps a book about brass-rubbing--something which had only vaguely interested you up until then.  This volume on the subject, however,happened to be so well illustrated and the part of the text you read proved so interesting that you just had to buy it.  This sort of thing can be very dangerous.  Apart from running up a huge account, you can waste a great deal of time wandering from section to section.  Book sellers must be both long-suffering and indulgent.
46.  In a good bookshop, _______.
     A)  nobody takes any notice of you      B)  the assistant greets you in a friendly way
     C)  you feel that you are in a music shop  D)  your heart is contented
47.  An assistant should help you ________.
     A)  as soon as you have entered the shop   B)  just before you finish browsing
     C)  only when you have finished browsing  D)  when he leads you to a particular section
48.  It is very easy to enter a bookshop and buy _______.
     A)  a book on ancient coins          B)  a best-selling novel on brass-rubbing
     C)  a book that vaguely interests you   D)  a book that unexpectedly interests you
49.  According to the author, the best way to escape the realities of
     routine life is _______.
     A)  to chat with a friendly assistant in a bookshop
     B)  to wander in the streets
     C)  to buy a best-selling novel to read
     D)  to stay reading books of various kinds in a bookshop
50.  The best title for this passage may be _______.
     A)  Don't Waste Your Time in a Bookshop    B)  Bookshop and Its Assistants
     C)  On Buying Books                    D)  Keep Your Appointment
Part III Cloze
Directions: There are 20 blanks in the following passage. For each blank there are four choices marked A), B), C) and D) on the right side of the paper, you should choose the ONE that best fits into the passage. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
The book The History and Geography of Human Genes is _51__ on the combined _52__ of more than 50 years into the genetics of humans. It __53_ from this book’s _54__ that, if we disregard the different __55_ physical features between different races, then we are all very __56_ under the surface. Taken as a __57_ the genetic differences __58_ groups are much less than _59__ between the individuals in those groups __60_ “races”. Scientifically there is no _61__ that one race is _62__ any way genetically _63__ to any other. The book has also _64__ the paths that humans in the past __65_ when migrating around the world. And it appears _66__ Africa is the very _67__ of mankind. Biologically the _68__ differences we see between __69_ populations are largely adaptations over time __70_ the environment, caused by moving to different climates.
51.A) base  B) basis    C) based   D) basic
52.A) search   B) research   C) place   D) replace
53.A) appears   B) disappears   C) covers  D) recovers
54.A) founding    B) finding   C) foundation  D) findings
55.A) external    B) internal    C) extraordinary    D) ordinary
56.A) like   B) same    C) similar   D) identical
57.A) result   B) rule    C) consequence   D) whole
58.A) behind   B) beside   C) between   D) beyond
59.A) that   B) this    C) those   D) these
60.A) from   B) or    C) of    D) over
61.A) evidence   B) confidence   C) residence   D) correspondence
62.A) by    B) through   C) from  D) in
63.A) super   B) superior   C) superficial   D) superb
64.A) treated   B) treasured    C) trailed   D) traced
65.A) took   B) talked   C) past   D) crossed
66.A) when   B) where   C) that  D) which
67.A) origin   B) history  C) genes   D) end
68.A) video   B) vigorous   C) violent   D) visible
69.A) moderate   B) modern   C) modest   D) moral  
70.A) in   B) to    C) within   D) of
Part IV Writing
Directions: For this part, you are allowed 30 minutes to write a composition on the title: Motorcycles and City Traffic. You must write your composition in no less than 120 words on Composition Sheet and remember to write it in readable handwriting. You should base your composition on the following outline (given in Chinese):

1.近年来中国城市中的摩托车
  2.摩托车的优点和缺点
  3.你对我国城市中摩托车发展前景的看法

QQ|手机版|小黑屋|网站地图|无忧答案网 ( 冀ICP备18010495号-1 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-4 15:12