只需一步,快速开始

查看: 1334|回复: 0

[离线作业] 东北农业大学13春《大学英语I》作业题6(middle)

[复制链接]
发表于 2013-8-13 08:40:33 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
作业题6(middle)
Part I Structure and Vocabulary
Directions:
There are 30 incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. choose one answer that best completes the sentence and blacken the corresponding letter on ANSWER SHEET .
1.  The finance minister is not very ______ now since he has raised
    taxes to such a high level.
    A)  famous      B)  well-known      C)  popular   D)  favorable
2.  Many young men like drinking beer, but I don't see what they get
    _______ it.
    A)  at          B)  out of          C)  together        D)  by
3.  Since you know what has happened to my family, I don't think it
    necessary for me to ______ any longer.
    A)  keep it back    B)  keep it out   C)  keep it in   D)  keep it on
4.  The young scientist laughed at some of his ______ colleagues who stuck
    to outdated ideas.
    A)  modern      B)  up-to-date      C)  contemporary  D)  present-day
5.  English learners in China always ______ of their teacher about the
    short cut for language learning.
    A)  acquire     B)  inquire         C)  require         D)  ask for
6.  You'd better be ______ about what happened in your family.
    A)  silent      B)  quiet           C)  peaceful        D)  speechless
7.  What annoys me ______ is that my reading comprehension is always
    wrong.
    A)  most        B)  mostly          C)  almost          D)  at most
8.  The boys usually sit ______ the lecture hall.
    A)  in front of    B)  in the front of    C)  confronting    D)  ahead of
9.  She is leaving her husband because she cannot ______ his hot temper
    any longer.
    A)  put up with     B)  suffer    C)  contain    D)  control
10.  Go away; you are always _______.
    A)  in a way    B)  in way         C)  in ways         D)  in the way
11.  John seldom came here, and ______.
    A)  so did Mary     B)  Mary did too  C)  neither did Mary    D)  Mary does either
12.  Please fill ______ the form ______ ink.
    A)  on...with   B)  in...in         C)  in...by         D)  to...in
13.  Do sit down, ______?
    A)  do you      B)  shall          C)  won't you       D)  would you
14.  His parents _______ last week, the child was left alone.
    A)  died        B)  dying           C)  having died     D)  had died
15.  "Why hasn't she come yet?"       "She ______ your invitation."
    A)  should have forgotten          B)  ought to have forgotten
    C)  can't have forgotten            D)  may have forgotten
16.  I'm sorry ______ you up yesterday.
    A)  to wake     B)  for to wake     C)  waking         D)  for waking
17.  ______ new employee feels insecure during ______ first few weeks on
     the job.
    A)  Many...their    B)  Many a ... her  C)  Many a ... their      D)  Many ... her
18.  This is ______ opportunity _______ by someone.
    A)  too good an ... that will be grabbed    B)  too good ...  not to be grabbed
    C)  a too good ... to be grabbed       D)  too good an ... not to be grabbed
19.  He has read many books, ______ are written in English.
    A)  many of them     B)  many of which   C)  many of those   D)  many ones of which
20.  It is my wish that he _______ it immediately.
    A)  do           B)  does           C)  had done         D)  did
21.  I didn't have enough money; otherwise I ______ it.
    A)will buy  B)would buy    C)will have bought    D)would have bought                                                               
22.  I went yesterday, but I ______ it.
    A)  had better not do               B)  would rather not do
    C)  would rather not have done      D)  had better not do
23.  The reason for his failure is ______ he didn't work hard.
    A)  that         B)  as             C)  since       D)  because
24.   When I found her she was green _______ envy.
    A)  of           B)  at             C)  with             D)  for
25.  For several months the patient has been _______ treatment.
    A)  in           B)  under          C)  by               D)  for
26.  Having gone there and _______ out the truth, she started to cry.
    A)  finding      B)  finds          C)  found            D)  to find
27.  _______ what it meant.
    A)  Little I knew then             B)  Little then I know
    C)  LIttle did I know then          D)  Little knew I then
28.  Uranium has a number of applications, ______ may be mentioned its use in medicine.
    A)which B)and which C)among which D)each of                                                                 which
29.  ______ helps me with my problems.
    A)  My teacher and friend           B)  My teacher and my friend
    C)  Teacher and friend              D)  My friends and teacher
30.  We _______ everyday.
    A)  live home    B)  come to home   C)  arrive at home    D)  go home
Part II Reading Comprehension
Direction:
There are four reading passages in this part. Each passage is followed by five question, for each question there are four suggested answers marked A, B, C and D. Choose the best answer and blacken the corresponding letter on ANSWER SHEET.
Passage 1
    Less than a month from graduation day, Theresa Casebeer of Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois, had yet to find the right job. The career placement center referred the liberalarts (文科) major to JOB-TRAK, an Internet site listing 45,000 positions.
      Casebeer selected four keywords: Chicago, business, marketing and full-time. Immediately
she found 45 jobs meeting her criteria (标准), including one as an assistant to an administrator at the University of Chicago's business school. Four weeks later she was hired at a starting salary of  $ 32,000.
      "I had no training," says Casebeer, "but the Internet was extremely easy to use. I' d never have known about this job without it."
      Casebeer is one American who clicked (发出卡擦声) her way into a job. Steven Toole is another.
      In 1996, Toole came across an employment site named Career-Builder. He had just been pro-rooted to director of marketing for a company mad wash' t looking for a job. But curious, he decided to "give it a try".
      Toole filled out a profile (个人简历) with the keywords marketing manager and entered his electronic-mail address. Within a week his computer' s mailbox was filling up with available positions. Two interviews later he jumped to a new job. "The Internet is like hiring a personal assistant," says Toole. "Effortlessly you can become aware of opportunities that may elevate your career.”
      Most major newspapers and trade publications have on-line versions of their classified listings, enabling job-seekers to scan for work available across town, in another state or around the world. All 50 states, plus Washington, D. C., and Guam, have their local job banks available on-line, too. "The Internet is a wonderful place to explore, especially when coupled with traditional job search methods," notes Richard Nelson, author of What Color Is Your Parachute?
31. Theresa Casebeer found her job through
    A) the career placement center               C) an Internet site
    B) Northwestern University                 D) University of Chicago
32. When she says "I had no training"-- the first sentence in Para. 3 ,she means she has never been trained
    A) as an assistant to an administrator.    B) on how to use the Internet.
    C) to look for a job.                  D) to work in a business school.
33. Toole attempted to get a job from Career-Builder because he __
    A) wanted to be promoted                 C) wanted to jump to a new job
    B) didn't have a job at the time             D) was curious
34. In the last paragraph, "coupled with" can most probably be replaced by __ with.
    A] compared    C) explored   B) associated   D) combined
35. What is the best title of this passage?
    A) How to find a job on the internet.   B) The internet, a wonderful job-search medium.
    C) How Casebeer and Toole found their jobs.   D) Computer and job openings.
Passage 2
    Many young British doctors drink too much and use cannabis and other illegal drugs, according to a survey released last week.
    The poll of 14 junior doctors in northeastern England, published in a letter in The Lancet medical journal, showed that more than 60 per cent drank more alcohol than the recommended safe limits.
    Over 35 per cent of male doctors and 19 per cent of female physicians also admitted using cannabis and up to 13 per cent also took other drugs.
    "The current drinking habits, illegal drug use, and stress in some junior doctors is of concern, not only for their own well being, but also how they affect patients' care," said Dr. Farhad Kam all of the University of Newcastle, who conducted the study.
    The British Medical Association (BMA) said the findings were consistent with its own research into the habits of the junior doctors.
    The survey was released a day after Dr. Patrick Dixon, a British AIDS expert and author, called for random testing of doctors for alcohol and drug abuse.
      Exxon, the author of "The Truth about Drugs", said that the problem, posed a significant
threat to the public health because patients' lives were being put at risk.
      "With around 10 per cent of all doctors either intoxicated (沉醉) or withdrawing (from drugs or alcohol) we are faced with the fact that significant numbers of doctors have impaired judgment because of addiction," Dixon said in a telephone interview.
      He claimed that more than 1,000 addicted doctors in London were addicts but he said their
colleagues were reluctant to identify them because of fear of retribution (报复).
      "Our estimate is that up to 10 percent of doctors may have a drug or alcohol problem at some time in their working lives," a BMA spokeswoman said.
36. From the first paragraph, we can know
    A) it is quite fashionable to take cannabis in Britain
    B) taking cannabis is against the law in Britain
    C) cannabis is something delicious to eat
    D) there is no limit to the use o{ cannabis
37. What does the word "released" (Para. 6) mean?
    A) Set     B) Given up.           C) Finished.           D) Issued.
38. According to Dr. Dixon, alcohol drinking and drug abuse
    A) put the health of the drinkers and users at risk
    B) had negative influence over the younger doctors
    C) presented a great threat to the public health
    D) was a pretty new social phenomenon in Britain
39. The word "impaired" (Para. 8) means
     A) irresponsible     B) weakened           C) false        D) paired up
40. The colleagues of the addicted doctors were unwilling to identify them because they
     A) did not want to lose friendship      B) lacked self-confidence
     C) didn't want to get punished         D) didn' t want the addicted doctors to be punished

Passage 3
Lord Woolf, the most senior judge in Britain believes that the civil courts are a nightmare for those trapped in their procedures. The average High Court case takes more than three years from the legal document to trial. Many personal injury cases take twice as long. The costs of these legal cases are out of proportion to the stakes. Lawyer's fees in personal injury cases amount to more than half the claim. Some multinational (跨国的) companies complain that the British court system is slower and more expensive than any other.
     The new Lord Chief Justice, Lord Bingham, describes the excessive costs of civil litigation (诉讼) as a cancer eating at the heart of the administration of justice. His point is that when justice is expensive, most people do not have access to it. These days, only the very rich or the very poor (whose costs will be paid by the state) can afford to go to court. Rising costs, therefore, also means   a growing burden on the taxpayer: public expenditure on civil legal aid has increased a lot since  1983.
       Cases have allowed to run on and on because, at present, the lawyers set the pace, and they  have no interest in seeing a quick result. Lord Woolf's remedy is to shift control of litigation (诉讼) from lawyers to judges.
       Quicker, cheaper justice is in almost everybody's interests; but there will be opposition from  two sources. The Treasury (财政部)is worried that, even though the court costs per case should  fail, the costs to the state of the system as a whole will probably rise: there will have to be more judges, more staff members in the court, and the court system will need to be computerized. But  such objections can be easily met. Higher court costs could be passed onto the litigants who would still pay less overall because their lawyers bills would be so much smaller.
       Opposition may also come from lawyers. Some of them will complain that handing power to the courts will restrict their ability to represent their client's interests. If justice is cheaper, it will also be rougher. Such an outcome is possible, but it is far from inevitable. In any case, the finest legal system in the world would still not provide justice if most people do not have access to it.
41. Lord Woolf describes the British court system as a nightmare because
     A) many people are trapped in its procedures
     B) it takes at least 3 years before any court decision is made
     C) it is expensive and inefficient
     D) it is irresponsible and indifferent
42. As a result of the high costs of civil litigation,
     A) the poor are actually not protected by law
     B) few people in Britain go to court
     C) justice is hardly existent in Britain
     D) most people can not afford to go to court
43. In order to avoid the delay of cases, Lord Woolf suggests that
    A) lawyer' s fees be reduced        B) judges take over the control of litigation
    C) lawyers no longer set the pace    D) the court prescribes a time limit for each case
44. Lord Woolf's remedy is opposed to by lawyers because __
    A) the cheaper a thing is, the poorer the quality will be
    B) the court will restrict their ability to represent their client' s interests
    C) the costs to the state of the system as a whole will probably rise
    D) the lack of money and time will result in a decline in the quality of their work
45. Which of the following is closest in meaning to the last sentence of the passage?
    A) In dealing with any legal cases, the finest legal system is not necessarily the most efficient if people do not have faith in it.
    B) It is not always the case that the best legal system is still able to provide justice even if most people do not have access to it.
    C) Whatever happens, the finest legal system in the world will not do people justice if people do not go to court.
    D) No matter how good a legal system is, it would not be able to perform its duty if people are denied access to it.

Passage 4.
     What kind of human being will the future spaceman be?
     Will he need bones of steel and powerful muscles to resist rocket thrust, the lungs of a glass blower (玻璃吹制工人), a mighty heart, the 'calmness of an acrobat (杂技演员), unconscious death urges, or a schizophrenic (患精神分裂症的) drive toward isolation? Popular ideas of a spaceman tend to be funny composites of fiction and fact.
     A more realistic portrait emerges from the young science of bioastronautics, the newest and strangest of medical disciplines. The astronaut may be described as a youngish man of high intelligence who is normal to an abnormal degree. On earth he may well have been a high diver, high jumper, pole vaulter (撑竿跳运动员 ), or acrobat. He must be highly motivated, carefully
trained, and he must want to come back.
      His heart and lungs must be healthy but need not be exceptionally developed, for his cabin will be pressurized. Huge muscles may actually be disadvantageous, for he will have almost no way to get exercise, and he will find that the strength of a year-old child is adequate in the weightlessness of space. A firm body and a short, strong neck will help him to withstand the tremendous forces encountered at take-off. Most important physically, his digestive system must be one that will not be upset by weightlessness; he must not be subject to motion sickness.
46. All the following are popular beliefs about the future spaceman EXCEPT that __
    A) faced with isolation, he is brave enough and not liable to go mad
    B) he needs to have a strong death complex
    C) he must have strong bones and powerful muscles
    D) he must be cool-headed
47. Which of the following will NOT be considered by the author as a more realistic image of the future spaceman?
    A) He must have superior intelligence.        B) He is young~
    C) He should have a strong desire to survive.   D) He doesn't get upset easily.
48. Bioastronautics is mostly related to __
    A) literature                            C) biology
    B) the science of medicine                 D) disciplines and regulations
49. "normal to an abnormal degree" (Para. 3) means" ".
    A) seemingly normal but actually abnormal
    B) so ordinary that he is undistinguished in every way
    C) extremely healthy, and there is nothing abnormal with him
    D) so normal that no one believes it is true
50. To the future spaceman, what is most physically important is that
    A) his vital capacity must be as great at a glass blower's
    B) he must have a short and firm neck
    C) his heart must be comparatively large
    D) his digestive system should not be upset by weightlessness
Part III Cloze
Directions: There are 20 blanks in the following passage. For each blank there are four choices marked A), B), C) and D) on the right side of the paper, you should choose the ONE that best fits into the passage. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
A transformation is occurring that should greatly _51__ living standards in the developing world. Places that _52__ recently were deaf and dumb are rapidly acquiring up-to-date telecommunications. Many developing countries are planning to invest vast sums of money __53_ their telecommunications networks to allow them to compete, _54__ the transfer of information, with developed countries. They believe this will __55_ foreign and domestic investment. How fast these nations should push ahead is a matter of debate. China is making one of the boldest leaps __56_ carefully weighing costs and choosing _57__ technologies. Over the next decade, it plans to pour some $100 billion into telecommunications equipment. _58__, China’s backwardness is an advantage, because the expansion occurs __59_ new technologies are becoming cheaper than copper wire systems. Telecommunications is also a key _60__ Shanghai’s ambition of becoming a top financial center. To offer peak performance in providing the electronic data and paperless trading, Shanghai plans to be as electronically advanced _61__ the City of New York. Some experts fear __62_ that some developing countries are trying to do _63__ too soon. Vietnam, __64_ particular, __65_ being extremely underdeveloped and lacking enough telephones of any type, is determined to invest in the most expensive, newest technology. For countries that have lagged __66_ for so long, the temptation to move ahead in one jump is hard to _67__. And _68__ the mistakes they’ll make, they’ll persist--- __69_ one day they can cruise alongside Americans and Western Europeans __70_ the information superhighway.
51.A) boast   B) bloom   C) boom   D) boost
52.A) until     B) are       C) for     D) by
53.A) for     B) in   C) on   D) at  
54.A) with    B) for    C) in respect of  D) regard of
55.A) promote   B) progress  C) process   D) project
56.A) forward   B) by    C) ahead    D) for
57.A) for    B) at     C) by    D) between
58.A) In a way   B) In memory   C) In prospect    D) In consideration
59.A) since   B) like    C) just like    D) just as
60.A) with   B) to     C) point   D) question
61.A) more   B) than    C) like   D) as
62.A) however   B) in stead    C) consequently   D) therefore
63.A) much more   B) too many   C) much too   D) much
64.A) in    B) on    C) for    D) with
65.A) since    B) therefore   C) while   D) however
66.A) further   B) behind   C) by   D) far
67.A) resist   B) stop  C) recover  D) catch
68.A) now that   B) in spite   C) despite of   D) despite
69.A) when   B) while   C) so that   D) by then
70.A) on   B) with    C) for    D) by
Part IV Writing
In this part, you should write a composition on the basis of the Chinese outline given to you. The topic has been given to you “On Private Schools”. Your composition should not be less than 120 words. Remember to write it neatly.
On Private Schools
4. 私立学校出现的原因。
5. 这些学校的优缺点。
6. 我最喜欢的学校。

QQ|手机版|小黑屋|网站地图|无忧答案网 ( 冀ICP备18010495号-1 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-4 17:52