只需一步,快速开始

查看: 1185|回复: 0

[离线作业] 东北农业大学13春《大学英语Ⅲ》作业题9(difficult)答案

[复制链接]
发表于 2013-8-10 10:00:19 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
东北农业大学13春《大学英语Ⅲ》作业题9(difficult)
Part I Vocabulary and Structure
Directions:
There are 30 incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. choose one answer that best completes the sentence and blacken the corresponding letter on ANSWER SHEET .
1. The college students in China are _______ from smoking on campus because this will do them no good.
A) discouraged    B) observed           C) obeyed             D) obtained
2. Professor Smith is also the _______ of the international program office. If you have any problem when you study here, you may go to him for help.
 A) detective          B) president      C) manager            D) director
3. We won’t allow any foreign country to _______ in our internal affairs.
 A) devote            B) district        C) interfere            D) wander
4. We can not _______ all the magazines together.
 A) route            B) draw           C) thread              D) bind
5. What he said in the meeting _______ everybody present.
 A) disgusted          B) dismissed      C) disposed         D) eliminated
6. Some lazy men would rather _______ than work.
 A) indicate            B) declare      C) solve                D) starve
7. This boy was _______ for what he had done in the class.
 A) scolded           B) overcome     C) inclined          D) displayed
8. Some states in the United States _______ people to carry guns.
 A) apply            B) charm        C) ignore              D) forbid
9. Carelessness made him fall in his job _______.
 A) interview          B) intention     C) stomach             D) stocking
10. Sometimes it is very difficult to _______ some of the English words. Even the native speaker can not help.
 A) decrease           B) create        C) define           D) delight
11. Students with _______ problems may apply for student loans.
 A) economic          B) financial       C) male            D) economical
12. Both sugar and salt can ______in water.
 A) desert             B) absorb          C) dissolve          D) involve
13. I have not heard anything from him since his _______.
 A) departure          B) fault        C) foundation         D) acceptance
14. Without a proper education, people could _______ all kinds of crimes.
 A) conduct           B) stoop           C) commit            D) sweat
15. Several loudspeakers are _______ from the ceiling and we can hear the speaker very clearly.
 A) connected          B) sustained     C) associated         D) suspended
16. This morning in the class, our teacher lost his _______ at last because he could not stand any more.
 A) temper            B) terror        C) verse               D) contain
17. It is not ---_______ for me to return all the books to the library now because I still need some of them for my research.
 A) continuous         B) difficult     C) convenient           D) sufficient
18. When traveling alone in the mountains, you’d better take a _______ with you in case you get lost.
 A) compass           B) compress       C) compulsive         D) campus
19. As a teacher, you should not _______ the students from asking questions in class.
 A) ruin              B) restrain          C) import            D) impose
20. If you have any problems during your study here, please do not _______ to call me for help
 A) hesitate            B) despair          C) urge             D) request
21.Some people who are successful language learners find it difficult to ___________in other fields.
  A) succeed            B) result              C) achieve      D) score
22.It was___________ many centuries later that the ancient Greeks placed the science of map-making on a sound footing.
  A) not                B) until              C) not until     D) until not
23.Heart surgery causes the costs of general hospital care to ___________.
  A) raise                B) arise             C) rise         D) arouse
24.Keep in __________ that all people are different and some may progress faster than others.
  A) head                B) brain             C) heart           D) mind
25.He keeps on with physical training in winter ___________cold it is .
  A) whatever        B) no matter how     C) whether or not      D) although
26. As you have been, the value of a nation’s currency is a ____ of its economy.
   A) reaction   B) reflection   C) response   D) revelation
27. The computer has brought about surprising technological changes ____ we organize and produce information.
   A) in a way   B) in the way    C) in that way  D) in no way
28. The woman was worried about the side effects of taking aspirins, but her doctor____ her that it is absolutely harmless.
   A) retrieved   B) released    C) reassured   D) revived
29. The shop assistant was dismissed as she was ___ of cheating customers.
   A) accused   B) charged    C) scolded   D) cursed
30. He is the only person who can ____ in this case, because the other witnesses were killed mysteriously.
   A) testify   B) charge   C) accuse   D) rectify

Part II Reading Comprehension
Direction:
There are four reading passages in this part. Each passage is followed by five question, for each question there are four suggested answers marked A, B, C and D. Choose the best answer and blacken the corresponding letter on ANSWER SHEET.
Passage 1
Faces, like fingerprints, are unique. Did you ever wonder how it is possible for us to recognize people? Even a skilled writer probably could not describe all the features that make one face different from another. Yet a very young child—or even an animal, such as a pigeon—can learn to recognize faces, we all take this ability for granted.
We also tell people apart by how they behave. When we talk about someone’s personality, we mean the ways in which he or she acts, speaks, thinks and feels that make that individual different from other.
Like the human face, human personality is very complex. But describing someone’s personality in words is somewhat easier than describing his face. If you were asked to describe what a “nice face” looked like, you probably would have a difficult time doing so.
But if you were asked to describe a “nice person”, you might begin to think about someone who was kind, considerate, friendly, warm, and so forth.
There are many words to describe how a person thinks, feels and acts. Fordin Allport, an American psychologist, found nearly 18,000 English words charactering differences in people’s behavior. And many of us use this information as a basis for describing, or typing, his personality. Bookworms, conservatives, military types—people are described with such terms.
People have always tried to “type” each other. Actors in early Greek drama wore masks to show the audience whether they played the villains or the hero’s role. In fact, the words “person” and “personality” come from the Latin persona, meaning “mask”. Today most television and movie actors do not wear masks. But we easily tell the “good guys” from the “bad guys” because the two types differ in appearance as well as in actions.
31. By using the simile (直喻) of fingerprints, the author tells us that _____.
A) people differ from each other in facial features
B) people have difficulty in describing the features of fingerprints
C) people have different personalities
D) people can learn to recognize faces
32. According to this passage, some animals have the gift of _____.
A) typing each other             B) telling people apart by how they behave
C) recognizing human faces       D) telling good people from bad people
33. Who most probably knows best hw to describe people’s personality?
A) Psychologists.                       B) The modern TV audience.
C) The ancient Greek audience            D) The movie star.
34. According to the passage, it is possible for us to tell one type of person form another because _____.
A) human faces have complex features
B) people differ in their behavioral and physical characteristics
C) human fingerprints provide unique information
D) people’s behavior can be easily described in words
35. Which of the following is the major point of the passage?
A) How to get to know people.     B) Why it is necessary to identify people’s personality.
C) Hoe best to recognize people.    D) Why it is possible to describe people.
Passage 2
Everyone talks about the “five” senses of man. And it’s true that we get our information about the outside world from our sense of sight, hearing, smell, touch and taste. Researchers tell us that the sense of sight—our visual sense—gives us up to 80% of what we know about the world outside our bodies; while the other senses, the auditory (hearing), the olfactory (smell), the tactile (touch), and the gustatory (taste) bring into our brains information about the other twenty percent of what is happening. But there are two other senses that we cannot get along without, though they are very seldom given any credit for helping us to survive in this difficult world. These are the sense of balance, and the kinesthetic sense.
The sense of balance, without which we could act like a drunkard after a heavy bout with the bottle, is located in the inner ear. The inner ear contains three curved tubes (the semi-circular canals) filled with liquids. The shifting of these liquids activates nerve endings in the linings of the canals, and nerve impulses from these nerve endings help our brains to keep us upright.
The kinesthetic sense is actually made up of nerve impulses that arise from nerves planted in close contact with our muscles. These nerve messages are constantly telling us what position our limbs,trunk and head are in. They serve as a continuous “feedback” system to help us know how to move our various parts, and when to hold them still. Otherwise, we would lack the coordination to run, jump, dance, twist, or even sit still. Incidentally, the word “kinesthetic” comes from two Greek words meaning “motion” and “feeling”. The kinesthetic sense gives us our ideas about our own motion.
36. The best title for this passage is _____.
  A) Our Five Major Senses.             B) The Overlooked Senses.
  C) The most Important Senses           D) The Sense of Balance.
37. What is the main idea of the passage?
A) We get most of our information about the outside world form our senses of sight, hearing, smell, touch and taste.
B) The sense of sight gives us up to 80% of what we know about the world outside our bodies.
C) The sense of balance keeps us upright.
D) Two important senses which are often over-looked are the kinesthetic sense and the sense of the balance.
38. The kinesthetic sense is located in the ______.
  A) nerves     B) brain   C) skin      D) inner ear
39.Nerve impulses originating in the inner ear______.
A) keep us vertical                      B) regulate our hearing
C) gives us our ideas about our motion      D) tell us what is happening in the outside world.
40. People who cannot see are able to get along in the world, but it would be probably most difficult to get along if we lost the use of the ______.
A) Sense of smell.
B) Sense of touch.
C) Sense of taste
D) Kinesthetic sense.
Passage 3
40 years ago the idea of disabled people doing sport was never heard of. But when the annual games for the disabled were started as Stoke Mandeville, England in 1948 by Sir Ludwig Guttmann, the situation began to change.
Sir Ludwig Guttmann, who had been driven to England in 1939 from Nazi German, had been asked by the British government to set up an injuries centre at Stoke Mandeville Hospital near London. His ideas about treating injuries included sport for the disabled.
In the first games just two teams of injured soldiers took part. The next year, 1949, five teams took part. From those beginnings, thing have developed fast. Teams now come from abroad to Stoke Mandeville every year. In 1960 the first Olympics for the disabled were held in Rome. In the same place was the normal Olympic Games. Now, every four years the Olympic Games for the Disabled are held, if possible, in the same place as the normal Olympic Games, although they are organized separately. In other years Games for the Disabled are still held at Stoke Mandeville. In the 1984 wheelchair Olympic Games, 1064 wheelchair athletes from about 40 countries took part. Unfortunately, they were held at Stoke Mandeville and not in Los Angeles, along with the other Olympics.
The Games have been a great success in promoting international friendship and understanding, and in proving that being disabled does not mean you can’t enjoy sport. One small source of disappointment for those who organize, and take part in the games, however, has been the unwillingness of the International Olympic Committee to include disabled events at the Olympic Games for the able-bodied. Perhaps a few more year are still needed to convince those fortune enough not to be disabled that their disabled fellow athletes should not be excluded.
41. The first games for the disabled were held _____ after Sir Ludwig Guttmann arrived in England.
A) 40 years      B) 21 years     C) 10 years     D) 9 years
42. Besides Stoke Mandeville, surely the games for the disabled were once held in _____.
A) New York    B) London      C) Rome       D) Los Angeles
43. In Paragraph 3, the word athletes’ means____
A) People who support the games    B) People who watch the games
C) People who organize the games   D) People who compete in the games
44. Which of the following statements is NOT true?
A) Sir Ludwig Guttmann is an early organizer of the games for the disabled.
B) Sir Ludwig Guttmann is an injured soldier.
C) Sir Ludwig Guttmann is from Germany.’
D) Sir Ludwig Guttmann is welcomed by the British government.
45. From the passage, we may conclude that the writer is _____.
A) One of the organizers of the games for the disabled.  B) A disabled person who once took part in the games.
C) Against holding the games for the disabled.         D) In favor of holding the games for the disabled.
Passage 4
Space is a dangerous place, not only because of meteors(流星) but also because of rays from the sun and other stars. The atmosphere again acts as our protective blanket on earth. Light gets through, and this is essential for plants to make the food which we eat. Heat, too, makes our environment endurable. Various kinds of rays come through the air from outer space, but enormous quantities of radiation from the sun are screened off. As soon as men leave the atmosphere, they are exposed to this radiation but their spacesuits or the walls of their spacecraft, if they are inside, do prevent a lot of radiation damage.
Radiation is the greatest known danger to explorers in space. The unit of radiation is called “rem”. Scientists have reason to think that a man can put up with far more radiation than 0.1 rem without being damaged; the figure of 60 rems has been agreed on. The trouble is that it is extremely difficult to be sure about radiation damage—a person may feel perfectly well, but the cells of his or her sex organs may be damage, and this will not be discovered until the birth of deformed children or even grandchildren. Missions of the Apollo flights have had to cross belts of high radiation, and during the outward and return journeys, the Apollo crew accumulated a large amount of rems. So far, no dangerous amounts of radiation have been reported, but the Apollo missions have been quite short. We simply do not know yet how men are going to get on when they spend weeks and months outside the protection of the atmosphere, working in a space laboratory. Drugs might help to decrease the damage done by radiation, but no really effective ones have been found so far.
46. According to the first paragraph, the atmosphere is essential to man in that ________________.
  A) it protects him against the harmful rays from space   B) it provides sufficient light for plant growth
  C) it supplies the heat necessary for human survival     D) it screens off the falling meteors
47. We know from the passage that _________________.
  A) exposure to even tiny amounts of radiation is fatal
  B) the effect of exposure to radiation is slow in coming
  C) radiation is avoidable in space exploration
  D) astronauts in spacesuits needn’t worry about radiation damage
48. The harm radiation has done to the Apollo crew members ______________.
  A) is insignificant     B) seems overestimated    C) is enormous   D) remains unknown
49. It can be inferred from the passage that _________________.
  A) the Apollo mission was very successful
  B) protection from space radiation is no easy job
  C) astronauts will have deformed children or grandchildren
  D) radiation is not a threat to well-protected space explorers
50. The best title for this passage would be ___________________.
  A) The Atmosphere and Our Environment     B) Research on Radiation
  C) Effects of Space Radiation               D) Importance of Protection against Radiation
Part III Cloze
Directions: There are 20 blanks in the following passage. For each blank there are four choices marked A), B), C) and D) on the right side of the paper, you should choose the ONE that best fits into the passage. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
One summer night, on my way home from work I decided to see a movie. I knew the theatre would be air-conditioned and I couldn’t face my __51_ apartment.
Sitting in the theatre I had to look through the __52_ between the two tall heads in front of me. I had to keep changing the __53_ every time she leaned over to talk to him, __54_ he leaned over to kiss her. Why do Americans display such __55_ in a public place?
I thought the movie would be good for my English, but _56__ it turned out, it was an Italian movie. _57__ about an hour I decided to give up on the movie and __58_ on my popcorn (爆玉米花). I’ve never understood why they give you so much popcorn! It tasted pretty good, __59_. After a while I heard _60__ more of the romantic-sounding Italians. I just heard the __61_ of the popcorn crunching (咀嚼) between my teeth. My thought started to _62__. I remembered when I was in South Korea (韩国), I _63__ to watch Kojak on TV frequently. He spoke perfect Korean--- I was really amazed. He seemed like a good friend to me, _64__ I saw him again in New York speaking __65_ English instead of perfect Korean. He didn’t even have a Koran accent and I _66__ like I had been betrayed.
When our family moved to the United States six years ago, none of us spoke any English. _67__ we had begun to learn a few words, my mother suggested that we all should speak English at home. Everyone agreed, but our house became very _68__ and we all seemed to avoid each other. We sat at the dinner table in silence, preferring that to __69__ in a difficult language. Mother tried to say something in English but it __70_ out all wrong and we all burst into laughter and decided to forget it! We’ve been speaking Korean at home ever since.
51. A) warm    B) hot     C) heated      D) cool
52. A) crack    B) blank    C) break      D) opening
53. A) aspect   B) view     C) space      D) angle
54. A) while    B) whenever    C) or     D) and
55. A) attraction   B) attention    C) affection    D) motion
56. A) since      B) when       C) what       D) as
57. A) Within     B) After       C) For        D) Over
58. A) concentrate    B) chew    C) fix         D) taste
59. A) too           B) still     C) though     D) certainly
60.A) much        B) any      C) no        D) few
61.A) voice        B) sound     C) rhythm    D) tone
62.A) wonder      B) wander    C) imagine    D) depart
63.A) enjoyed      B) happened   C) turned     D) used
64.A) until         B) because    C) then      D) therefore
65.A) artificial     B) informal     C) perfect    D) practical
66.A) felt         B) looked      C) seemed    D) appeared
67.A) While     B) If       C) Before       D) Once
68.A) empty     B) quiet    C) stiff          D) calm
69.A) telling     B) uttering   C) saying       D) speaking
70.A) worked    B) got       C) came        D) made
Part IV Writing
Directions: For this part, you are allowed 30 minutes to write a composition based on the topic “Transportation”. You must write at least 120 words, the following is the beginning of each part. Remember to write clearly:
1.  Transportation is always considered essential to national economy.
3.  Therefore, ____________________________________________________________

QQ|手机版|小黑屋|网站地图|无忧答案网 ( 冀ICP备18010495号-1 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-4 14:25