北理工20北理工《综合英语》期末模拟试卷 第三套

[复制链接]
发表于 2020-7-15 09:35:29 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
(387)   北京理工大学远程教育学院2018-2019学年第一学期
《综合英语》期末试卷(模拟试卷3)
校外学习中心          学号                 姓名           成绩           
考试方式:闭卷
答题要求:
一、第一至第四部分的正确答案一律按要求用2B铅笔涂在答题卡上(从方框的左端穿过字母中间划向方框右端,不要超出方框两端,浓度盖过字母底色).
第五、六部分的翻译和写作写在末尾页,并在相应处填写考生信息.考试结束时只交答题卡和试卷答题纸.
二、机读卡填写方法:远程学生直接用签字笔或圆珠笔把15位准考证号填入答题卡学生代号下的方框内,再用2B铅笔填涂下面相应的数字方框.函授学生第一位先填"0",然后填写14位学号.非2B铅笔标准填涂或信息有误者,答题卡将无法读出而显示0分.
请仔细填涂个人信息并核对!Part I:Reading Comprehension(2*15= 30)
Directions: There are 3 passages in this part. Each passage is followed by 5 questions or unfinished statements. For each of them there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. You should decide on the best choice and blacken the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet. Passage 1
The phrase almost completes itself: midlife crisis. It’s the stage in the middle of the journey when people feel youth vanishing, their prospects narrowing and death approaching.
There’s only one problem with the cliche (套话).It isn’t true.
“In fact, there is almost no hard evidence for midlife crisis other than a few small pilot studies conducted decades ago,” Barbara Hagerty writes in her new book, Life Reimagined. The vast bulk of the research shows that there may be a pause, or a shifting of gears in the 40s or 50s, but this shift “can be exciting, rather than terrifying”.
Barbara Hagerty looks at some of the features of people who turn midlife into a rebirth. They break routines, because “autopilot is death”. They choose purpose over happiness一having a clear sense of purpose even reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s disease. They give priority to relationships, as careers often recede(逐渐淡化).
Life Reimagined paints a picture of middle age that is far from gloomy. Midlife seems like the second big phase of decision-making. Your identity has been formed; you’ve built up your resources; and now you have the chance to take the big risks precisely because your foundation is already secure.
Karl Barth described midlife precisely this way. At middle age, he wrote, “the sowing is behind; now is the time to reap. The run has been taken; now is the time to leap. Preparation has been made; now is the time for the venture of the work itself.”
The middle-aged person, Barth continued, can see death in the distance, but moves with a “measured haste” to get big new things done while there is still time.
What Barth wrote decades ago is even truer today. People are healthy and energetic longer. We have presidential candidates running for their first term in office at age 68, 69 and 74. A longer lifespan is changing the narrative structure of life itself. What could have been considered the beginning of a descent is now a potential turning point—the turning point you are most equipped to take full advantage of.1.What does the author think of the phrase “midlife crisis”?
A) It has led to a lot of debate.           B) It is widely acknowledged.
C) It is no longer fashionable.            D) It misrepresents real life.2.How does Barbara Hagerty view midlife?
A) It may be the beginning of a crisis.
B) It can be a new phase of one’s life.
C) It can be terrifying for the unprepared.
D)It may see old-age diseases approaching.3.How is midlife pictured in the book Life Reimagined?
A) It can be quite rose.
B) It can be burdensome.
C) It undergoes radical transformation.
D) It makes for the best part of one’s life.4.According to Karl Barth, midlife is the time_______.
A) to relax                     B) to mature
C) to harvest                     D) to reflect5.What does the author say about midlife today?
A) It is more meaningful than other stages of life.
B) It is likely to change the narrative of one’s life,
C) It is more important to those with a longer lifespan.
D)It is likely to be a critical turning point in one’s life.Passage 2
In spring, chickens start laying again, bringing a welcome source of protein at winter’s end. So it’s no surprise that cultures around the world celebrate spring by honoring the egg.
Some traditions are simple, like the red eggs that get baked into Greek Easter breads. Others elevate the egg into a fancy art, like the heavily jewel-covered “eggs” that were favored by the Russians starting in the 19th century.
One ancient form of egg art comes to us from Ukraine. For centuries, Ukrainians have been drawing complicated patterns on eggs. Contemporary artists have followed this tradition to create eggs that speak to the anxieties of our age: Life is precious, and delicate. Eggs are, too.
“There’s something about their delicate nature that appeals to me,” says New Yorker cartoonist Roz Chast. Several years ago, she became interested in eggs and learned the traditional Ukrainian technique to draw her very modem characters. “I’ve broken eggs at every stage of the process—from the very beginning to the very, very end.”
But there’s an appeal in that vulnerability. “There’s part of this sickening horror of knowing you’re walking on the edge with this, that I kind of like, knowing that it could all fall apart at any second.” Chast’s designs, such as a worried man alone in a tiny rowboat, reflect that delicateness.
Traditional Ukrainian decorated eggs also spoke to those fears. The elaborate patterns were believed to offer protection against evil.
“There’s an ancient legend that as long as these eggs are made, evil will not prevail in the world,” says Joan Brander, a Canadian egg-painter who has been painting eggs for over 60 years, having learned the art from her Ukrainian relatives.
The tradition, dating back to 300 B.C., was later incorporated into the Christian church. The old symbols, however, still endure. A decorated egg with a bird on it, given to a young married couple, is a wish for children. A decorated egg thrown into the field would be a wish for a good harvest.
6.Why do people in many cultures prize the egg?
A) It is a welcome sign of the coming of spring.
B) It is their major source of protein in winter.
C) It can easily be made into a work of art.
D) It can bring wealth and honor to them.7.What do we learn about the decorated “eggs” in Russia?
A) They are shaped like jewel cases.
B) They are cherished by the rich.
C) They are heavily painted in red.
D) They are favored as a form of art.8.Why have contemporary artists continued the egg art tradition?
A) Eggs serve as an enduring symbol of new life.
B) Eggs have an oval shape appealing to artists.
C) Eggs reflect the anxieties of people today.
D) Eggs provide a unique surface to paint on.9.Why does Chast enjoy the process of decorating eggs?
A) She never knows if the egg will break before the design is completed.
B) She can add multiple details to the design to communicate her idea.
C) She always derives great pleasure from designing something new.
D) She is never sure what the final design will look like until the end.10.What do we learn from the passage about egg-painting?
A) It originated in the eastern part of Europe.
B) It has a history of over two thousand years.
C) It is the most time-honored form of fancy art.
D) It is especially favored as a church decoration.Passage 3
The Urbanization — migration away from the suburbs to the city center — will be the biggest real estate trend in 2015, according to a new report.
The report says America’s urbanization will continue to be the most significant issue affecting the industry, as cities across the country imitate the walkability and transit-oriented development making cities like New York and San Francisco so successful.
As smaller cities copy the model of these “24-hour cities,’’ tfiore affordable versions of these places will be created. The report refers to this as the coming of the “18-hour city,”,and uses the term to refer to cities like Houston, Austin, Charlotte, and Nashville, which are “positioning themselves as highly competitive, in terms of livability, employment offerings, and recreational and cultural facilities.”
Another trend that looks significant in 2015 is that America’s largest population group, Millennials (千禧一代),will continue to put off buying a house. Apartments will retain their appeal for a while for Millennials, haunted by what happened to home-owning parents.
This trend will continue into the 2020s, the report projects. After that, survey respondents disagree over whether this generation will follow in their parents,footsteps, moving to the suburbs to raise families, or will choose to remain in the city center.
Another issue affecting real estate in the coming year will be America’s failing infrastructure. Most roads, bridges, transit, water systems, the electric grid, and communications networks were installed 50 to 100 years ago, and they are largely taken for granted until they fail.
The report’s writers state that America’s failure to invest in infrastructure impacts not only the health of the real-estate market, but also our ability to remain globally competitive.
Apart from the specific trends highlighted above, which cause some investors to worry, the report portrays an overall optimism borne by the recent healthy real-estate “upcycle” and improving economy. Seventy-four percent of the respondents surveyed report a “good to excellent” expectation of real-estate profitability in 2015. While excessive optimism can promote bad investment patterns, resulting in a real- estate “bubble,” the report’s writers downplay that potential outcome in that it has not yet occurred.11.        According to the new report, real estate development in 2015 will witness_______ .
A)        an accelerating speed
B) a shift to city centers
C) a new focus on small cities
D) an ever-increasing demand12.        What characterizes “24-hour cities” like New York?
A)        People can live without private cars.
B)        People are generally more competitive.
C)        People can enjoy services around the clock.
D)        People are in harmony with the environment.13. Why are Millennials reluctant to buy a house?
A)        They can only afford small apartments.
B)        The house prices are currently too high.
C) Their parents' bad experience still haunts them.
D) They feel attached to the suburban environment.14.        What might hinder real estate development in the U.S.?
A)        The continuing economic recession in the country.
B)        The lack of confidence on the part of investors.
C)        The fierce global competition.
D)        The worsening infrastructure.15.        How do most of the respondents in the survey feel about the U.S. real-estate market in 2015?
A) Pessimistic.                        B) Hopeful.
C)        Cautious.                        D) Uncertain. Part II: Vocabulary and Structure(2*10=20)
Directions: In this part there are 10 incomplete sentences. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence. Then blacken the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
16. If you insist on doing that, please take me into____.
A. think? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?        B.thinking? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?         C. thought? ?? ?? ??         D. consideration
17. The letters PTA ____ parent-teacher association.
A. stand for? ?? ?? ?        B.call for? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?        C. reach for? ?? ?? ??         D. care for
18. On ____ side of the street were standing young boys and girls to welcome the President.
A. both? ?? ?? ?? ?? ? B.two? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ???        C. either? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??D. every
19. Hospital doctors don’t go out very often as their work ____ all their time.
A. takes away? ?? ?         B.takes in? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ???                C. takes over? ?? ?? ??        D. takes up
20. The ___ of blood always makes him sick.
A. sight? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?        B.view? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?        C. look? ?? ?? ?? ??? ? D. form
21. None of us knew how the change had come______.
A. across? ?? ?? ?? ?         B.about? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ???        C. over? ?? ?? ?? ??         D. down
22. The price of fish is ______ during the Spring Festival
A. expensive? ?? ???        B.high? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?         C. valuable? ?? ?? ?? ? D. dear
23. He offered to ______ her a hand as the bag was too heavy for her to carry.
A. lend? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?         B.help? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??                 C. show? ?? ?? ?? ???? ?D. borrow
24. Do you mind if I ______ the mistakes in your report?
A. pick up? ?? ?? ???        B.put up? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?         C. call out? ?? ?? ?? ?? D. point out
25- They told me it would be cheap but?______ ?it cost me nearly $ 500.
A. in general? ?? ???        B.in a word? ?? ?? ?? ?? ???                C. in detail? ?? ?? ?? ? D. in fact

Part III: Cloze (2*10=20)
Directions: There are 10 blanks in the following passage. You should choose ONE answer that best fits into the passage. Then blacken the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.In August 2000, I walked onto the campus of Illinois State University (ISU) as a simple, quiet girl from a small rural town. There were more freshmen here than the population of my  26  hometown. Standing by myself, I was all of a sudden  27  by strangers from various backgrounds. I was  28  with this place and, for the first time in my life, I felt  29   .
   Over time, I realized that everybody around 30  the same. The strangers soon became friends, and the campus turned into one where I found 31  . Before I knew it, ISU became my “  32  ” away from home.
Throughout the four years, I learned a lot I had not learnt from my  33  . I realized that you cannot  34  late Thursday night and still pass you Friday exam; that pizza three times a day will gain the   35  15 pounds. 26. A. noted                  B. entire                  C. former          D. vague
27. A. puzzled                 B. supported               C. surrounded              D. discovered
28. A. satisfied         B. surprised        C. frightened       D. unfamiliar
29. A. alone           B. excited          C. scared          D. delighted
30. A. imagined        B. experienced      C. believed                D. remained
31. A. loneliness               B. difficulty        C. peace                  D. comfort
32. A. home                  B. gift             C. purpose                D. apartment
33. A. books                  B. parents          C. hometown             D. teachers
34. A. sit up                  B. stay out          C. work hard      D. rest easy
35. A. freshman               B. university        C. family         D. friends

Part IV: Translation (30)
Directions: In this part there is a passage consisting of 8 sentences in Chinese. You should translate it into English. Be sure to write clearly on the Answer Sheet.
黄河是亚洲第三、世界第六长的河流。“黄”这个字描述的是其河水浑浊的颜色。黄河发源于青海,流经九个省份,最后注入渤海。黄河是中国赖以生存的几条河流之一。黄河流域(river basin)是中国古代文明的诞生地,也是中国早期历史上最繁荣的地区。然而,由于极具破坏力的洪水频发,黄河曾造成多次灾害。在过去几十年里,政府采取了各种措施防止灾害发生。
(387)   北京理工大学远程教育学院2018-2019学年第一学期
《综合英语》期末试卷(模拟试卷3)答题纸校外学习中心          学号                 姓名           成绩           Part IV: Translation (30) _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
在本页上端填写考生信息
转载注明 无忧答案网
快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表