大学英语B8
一、交际英语
1.- Sorry I'm late.
- _________
A.You are welcome.  
B.It's a pleasure.                 
C.Take care.          
D.Don't worry.

2.- Is it possible for you to work late tonight?     
- _______
A.I like it.
B.I'll do that.
C.I'd love to.
D.I think so.

3.How tall is your sister?
-- _________
A.She is not very well.
B.She is 28 years old.
C.She is very nice.
D.She is as tall as I am.

4.Thank you for calling.
-- _________
A.Don't mention it.
B.That's fine.
C.Nice talking to you.
D.Call back again.

5.How much is this necklace?
-- _________
A.It's very nice.
B.It's a birthday present from my parents.
C.It costs fifty pounds.
D.It's a bargain.

二、阅读理解
    Jimmy is a very kind young man, he works in a big supermarket. His workmates like him very much.
    Last month Jimmy caught a bad cold, he stayed in bed for about two weeks. But after he got well, something happened-he couldn't stop winking(眨眼). When he stayed at home. he was all right as usual. But if he went out, he couldn't stop his eyes from winking.
    Jimmy went to work the next morning. On the way he met a policeman and winked at him. The policeman felt surprised but said nothing. Then he met an old man and winked at him. The old man thought he must be mad. But still he didn't say a word.
    Real trouble started when he met women. First he met a young lady. He winked at her. The woman's face turned red, and ran away as fast as she could. And then he met an old woman who carried a walking stick. Jimmy winked at her, she looked closely at him. Jimmy winked again. Without saying a word, she hit Jimmy on the head with her walking stick.
    “Take that!” she cried out “This is a lesson for you.”
    Poor Jimmy! How could he explain it? He ran away quickly.
    From then on, he always wears a pair of dark glasses when he goes out.
6.Jimmy had to stay in hospital for a long time.
A.T
B.F

7.When he stayed at home,he couldn’t control his eyes of winking.
A.T
B.F

8.The young lady felt surprised when Jimmy winked.
A.T
B.F

9.Jimmy winked at the young lady because he loved her very much.
A.T
B.F

10.The old woman hit Jimmy because Jimmy winked at her.
A.T
B.F

A characteristic of American culture that has become almost a tradition is to respect the self-made man - the man who has risen to the top through his own efforts, usually beginning by working with his hands. While the leader in business or industry or the college professor occupies a higher social position and commands greater respect in the community than the common laborer or even the skilled factory worker, he may take pains to point out that his father started life in America as a farmer or laborer of some sort.
This attitude toward manual (体力的) labor is now still seen in many aspects of American life. One is invited to dinner at a home that is not only comfortably but even luxuriously (豪华地) furnished and in which there is every evidence of the fact that the family has been able to afford foreign travel, expensive hobbies, and college education for the children; yet the hostess probably will cook the dinner herself, will serve it herself and will wash dishes afterward; furthermore,  the dinner will not consist merely of something quickly and easily assembled from contents of various cans and a cake or a pie bought at the nearby bakery. On the contrary, the hostess usually takes pride in careful preparation of special dishes. A professional may talk about washing the car, digging in his flowerbeds, painting the house. His wife may even help with these things, just as he often helps her with the dishwashing. The son who is away at college may wait on table and wash dishes for his living, or during the summer he may work with a construction gang on a highway in order to pay for his education.
11.From Para. 1, we know that in America _________.
A.people tend to have a high opinion of the self-made man
B.people can always rise to the top through their won efforts
C.college professors win great respect from common workers
D.people feel painful to mention their fathers as labors

12.According to the passage, the hostess cooks dinner herself mainly because _________.
A.servants in America are hard to get.
B.she takes pride in what she can do herself
C.she can hardly afford servants
D.it is easy to prepare a meal with canned food

13.The underlined expression “wait on table” in Para. 2 means “_________”.
A.work in a furniture shop
B.keep accounts for a bar
C.wait to lay the table
D.serve customers in a restaurant

14.The author’s attitude towards manual labor is _______.
A.positive
B.negative
C.humorous
D.critical

15.Which of the following could be the best title of the passage?
A.A Respectable Self-made Family
B.American Attitude toward Manual Labor
C.Characteristics of American Culture
D.The Development of Manual Labor

三、词汇与语法
16.Each new way of looking at a situation ________ our understanding and makes it easier to discover new possibilities.
A.deeps
B.deepens
C.deep
D.deeply

17.The father advised her to avoid the mistake made by many couples of marrying for the wrong reasons ________ he found the young man charming and intelligent.
A.as though       
B.even though
C.because of
D.due to

18.Eggs, though rich in nourishments, have ______ of fat.
A.a large number
B.the large number
C.a large amount
D.the large amount

19._________her and then try to copy what she does.
A.Mind
B.See
C.Stare at
D.Watch

20.I like the teacher _____classes are very interesting and creative.
A.which
B.who
C.whose
D.what

四、完型填空
"Mom, can I have some money?" Those are the words my mother used to hear all the time. In return, I heard, " Why don't you get a job? Not to make me happy, but so that you have your own money and gain a bit more responsibility." So last year I got a job working about 25 hours a week. For $5 an hour, working as a salesman in a photo studio.
After I got this __21__, I had to do football, homework and job at the same time. It was really hard for me. I was burning out, falling asleep at school and failing __22__ many courses. My teachers were mad at me and yelled at me: why have a job? I missed a lot practice in football team and could only __23__ back down at the match. My coach was cold at me with an unasked question : why have a job? I told them it was for the things I need, when actually it was for the things I wanted. Needing and wanting are different. Needing something is like your only shoes have holes in them. But wanting is to have every new brand sneaker just because you __24__ it. I start to think about if I did a wrong thing. Slowly, I learnt to manage my money better so that I could have more time for school and football. I learnt to make a wise __25__ on what I need and what I want.
A.decision
B.like
C.sit
D.in
E.job
答案:E
A.decision
B.like
C.sit
D.in
E.job

A.decision
B.like
C.sit
D.in
E.job

A.decision
B.like
C.sit
D.in
E.job

A.decision
B.like
C.sit
D.in
E.job

五、英译汉
26.Their parents don't know them as well as their friends do.
答案:他们的父母不像朋友那样了解他们。
27.Playing the sport you like is an important part of a person's life.
答案:进行一项自己喜欢的运动是一个人生活中重要的一部分。
28.She could not understand me when I spoke to her.
答案:当我跟她讲话的时候,她根本听不懂我的话。
29.A friend of mine from high school is working in England now.
答案:我高中的一个朋友目前在英格兰工作。
30.Ted and William have lived under the same roof for five years.
答案:泰德和威廉已经在同一个屋檐下生活了五年了。
31.In no other country in the world can you find such plants as this one.
答案:像这样的植物在世界上的其他任何一个国家都找不到。
六、写作
32.写作
Instructions:根据下面所给的题目和提纲用英语写出一篇不少于80词的短文。
1.你特别喜欢的运动;
2.你喜欢的理由。
My Favorite Sport
答案:无

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表