东北农业大学20秋《大学英语Ⅲ》作业考核试题参考

[复制链接]
发表于 2021-3-7 09:31:04 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
东北农业大学20秋《大学英语Ⅲ》作业考核试题
1.[单选题] We must look beyond ____ and assumptions and try to discover what is missing.
无忧答案网答案资料下载,请参考帮助中心说明
    A.justifications
    B.illusions
    C.manifestations
    D.specifications
    答:——B——
2.[单选题] Most broadcasters maintain that TV has been unfairly criticized and argue that the power of the medium is ____.
    A.granted
    B.implied
    C.exaggerated
    D.remedied
3.[单选题] He is watching TV? He is _____ to be cleaning his room.
    A.known
    B.supposed
    C.regarded
    D.considered
4.[单选题] The Smiths decided to _____ a boy and a girl though they already had three children.
    A.adapt
    B.bring
    C.receive
    D.adopt
    答:————
5.[单选题] I had just started back for the house to change my clothes ____ I heard voices.
    A.as
    B.when
    C.after
    D.while
6.[单选题] We can not trust him any more because he often ________ his duty.
    A.owes
    B.spoils
    C.deserts
    D.neglects
7.[单选题] In order to increase our output, we need to import more production _______.
    A.facilities
    B.hens
    C.votes
    D.artists
8.[单选题] Free medical service is _______ to nearly all the college students in China.
    A.favorite
    B.available
    C.convenient
    D.average
9.[单选题] Iron supplements may produce a feeling of wanting to ____ , and may be poisonous in some cases.
    A.throw away
    B.throw up
    C.throw in
    D.throw out
10.[单选题] Grant Wood instantly ____ to fame in 1930 with his painting American Gothic, an often-copied interpretation of the solemn pride of American farmers.
    A.arise
    B.rise
    C.rose
    D.raised
11.[单选题] I rub cream into the old woman’s yellow skin, feeling perfectly the ____ of each bone in the back.
    A.outline
    B.organization
    C.structure
    D.frame
12.[单选题] If you had been ____ in your study, you would have passed the examination without any difficulty.
    A.big-minded
    B.single-minded
    C.broad-minded
    D.narrow-minded
13.[单选题] My English professor told me to____ my vocabulary, to ____ my sentence length and to ____ my tone.
    A.amplify; justify; enlarge
    B.enlarge; justify; diversify
    C.diversify; enlarge; amplify
    D.enlarge; amplify; diversify
14.[单选题] Women do not usually eat the recommended daily ____ of iron.
    A.section
    B.allowance
    C.share
    D.part
15.[单选题] The point in ____ by correspondence is not whether we should do it but whether we can do it.
    A.argument
    B.debate
    C.dispute
    D.controversy
16.[单选题] ____ their difference, the couple were developing an obvious and genuine affection for each other.    东财答案q7 612 960 21更多答案进 ap5u.com
    A.But for
    B.For all
    C.Above all
    D.Except for
17.[单选题] We ____ Edison’s success to his intelligence and hard work.
    A.subject
    B.attribute
    C.owe
    D.refer
18.[单选题] We should keep a ____ eye on the prisoners every moment.
    A.jealous
    B.envious
    C.jealousy
    D.envy
19.[单选题] Under the present system, state enterprises must ____ all profits to the government.
    A.turn down
    B.turn up
    C.turn out
    D.turn in
20.[单选题] Many people like white color as it is a ____ of purity.
    A.symbol
    B.sign
    C.signal
    D.symptom
21.[单选题] Now the cheers and applause ____ in a single sustained roar.
    A.mingled
    B.concentrated
    C.assembled
    D.permeated
22.[单选题] John Dewey believed that education should be a preparation for life that a person learns by doing, and that teaching must ____ the curiosity and creativity of children.
    A.seek
    B.stimulate
    C.shape
    D.secure
23.[单选题] He asked us to ____ them in carrying through their plan.
    A.provide
    B.arouse
    C.assist
    D.persist
24.[单选题] Mr. Smith was the only witness who said that the fire was ____.
    A.mature
    B.deliberate
    C.meaningful
    D.innocent
25.[单选题] Tryon was extremely angry, but cool-headed enough to ____ storming into the boss’s office.
    A.prevent
    B.prohibit
    C.turn
    D.avoid
26.[单选题] She gave him back the money she’d stolen, for ____ sake.
    A.consent’s
    B.conscience’s
    C.her
    D.conscious
27.[单选题] If you have any problems during your study here, please do not _______ to call me for help
    A.hesitate
    B.despair
    C.urge
    D.request
28.[单选题] Some lazy men would rather _______ than work.
    A.indicate
    B.declare
    C.solve
    D.starve
29.[单选题] He keeps on with physical training in winter ___________cold it is .
    A.whatever
    B.no matter how
    C.whether or not
    D.although
30.[单选题] The designer has applied for a ____ for his new invention.
    A.tariff
    B.discount
    C.version
    D.patent
31.[阅读理解] I left my friend’s house shortly after seven. It was still too early for me to have my evening meal, so I walked along the seafront (滨海马路) for about an hour until I began to feel hungry. By that time I was not far from a favorite restaurant of mine, where I often went to eat two or three times a week. I knew the owner well and frequently complimented (赞美, 恭维) him on his excellent cooking.
I went into the restaurant, which was already crowded, and ordered my meal. While I was waiting for the soup to arrive, I looked around to see if I knew anyone in the restaurant. It was then that I noticed that a man sitting at a corner table near the door kept glancing in my direction, as if he knew me, I certainly did not know him, for I never forgot a face. The man had a newspaper open in front of him, which he was pretending to read, though all the while I could see that he was keeping an eye on me. When the waiter brought my soup, the man was clearly puzzled by the familiar way in which the waiter and I addressed each other. He became even more puzzled as time went on and it grew more and more obvious that I was well known in the restaurant. Eventually he got up and went into the kitchen. After a few minutes he came out again, paid his bill and left without another glance in my direction.
When I had finished and was about to pay my bill, I called the owner of the restaurant over and asked him what the man had wanted. The owner was a little embarrassed by my question and at first did not want to tell me. I insisted. “Well,” he said, “that man was a detective.” “Really?” I said, considerably surprised. “He followed you here because he thought you were a man he was looking for,” the owner of the restaurant said. “When he came into the kitchen, he showed me a photograph of the wanted man. He certainly looked like you! Of course, since we know you here, I was able to convince him that he had made a mistake.” “It’s lucky I came to a restaurant where I am known,” I said, “otherwise I might have been arrested!”
(1)When the author got to his favorite restaurant, it was ___________ .
    A.already nine o’clock
    B.eight o’clock on the dot
    C.about two minutes past eight
    D.slightly later than eight o’clock
(2)The man sitting at the corner table near the door kept glancing in the direction of the author because he was __________________ .
    A.interested in the personality of the author
    B.making a study of the author
    C.looking up and down the author
    D.keeping a lookout over the author
(3)The author was followed by the detective probably because he ___________ .
    A.took after a suspect
    B.was similar to a criminal in personality
    C.was an accomplice
    D.looked like a murderer
(4)The detective had a newspaper open in front of him in order to ____________ .
    A.read it in detail
    B.cover up what he was really doing there
    C.have it rechecked
    D.wait for his food
(5)According to the text, if the author had been a stranger in the restaurant, he would have been ____________________.
    A.taken to court
    B.followed
    C.captured
    D.sentenced to a few years’ imprisonment
32.[阅读理解] Man young British doctors drink too much and use cannabis and other illegal drugs, according to a survey released last week.
The poll of 14 junior doctors in northeastern England, published in a letter in The Lancet medical journal, showed that more than 60 per cent drank more alcohol than the recommended safe limits.
Over 35 per cent of male doctors and 19 per cent of female physicians also admitted using cannabis and up to 13 per cent also took other drugs.
“The current drinking habits, illegal drug use, and stress in some junior doctors is of concern, not only for their own well being, but also how they affect patients’ care,” said Dr. Farhad Kam all of the University of Newcastle, who conducted the study.
The British Medical Association ( BMA ) said the findings were consistent with its own research into the habits of the junior doctors.
The survey was released a day after Dr. Patrick Dixon, a British AIDS expert and author, called for random testing of doctors for alcohol and drug abuse.
EXxon, the author of The Truth about Drugs, said that the problem, posed a significant threat to the public health because patients’ lives were being put at risk.
“With around 10 per cent of all doctors either intoxicated(沉醉)or withdrawing (from drugs or alcohol) we are faced with the fact that significant numbers of doctors have impaired judgment because of addiction,” Dixon said in a telephone interview.
He claimed that more than 1,000 addicted doctors in London were addicts but he said their colleagues were reluctant to identify them because of fear of retribution (报复).
“Our estimate is that up to 10 percent of doctors may have a drug or alcohol problem at some time in their working lives,” a BMA spokeswoman said.
(1)From the first paragraph, we can know ________________.
    A.it is quite fashionable to take cannabis in Britain
    B.taking cannabis is against the law in Britain
    C.cannabis is something delicious to eat
    D.there is no limit to the use of cannabis
(2)What does the word “released” (Para. 6) mean?
    A.Set free.
    B.Given up.
    C.Finished.
    D.Issued.
(3)According to Dr. Dixon, alcohol drinking and drug abuse ___________.
    A.put the health of the drinkers and users at risk
    B.had negative influence over the younger doctors
    C.presented a great threat to the public health
    D.was a pretty new social phenomenon in Britain
(4)The word “impaired” (Para. 8) means ____________.
    A.irresponsible
    B.weakened
    C.false
    D.paired up
(5)The colleagues of the addicted doctors were unwilling to identify them because they _____________.
    A.did not want to lose friendship
    B.lacked self-confidence
    C.didn’t want to get punished
    D.didn’t’ t want the addicted doctors to be punished
33.[阅读理解] One of the most daring deep-space missions NASA has ever launched is turning out to be one of the least publicized. The target is a large asteroid (小行星) named 1992KD, which orbits the sun millions of miles from Earth. But that destination is almost incidental to the performance of the spacecraft that will make the trip. Though it looks little different from countless other unmanned probes NASA has launched, the ship will be navigated by an electronic brain that has been likened to HAL, the independent-minded computer in the film 2001, and will move through space under power of a system that has long been the stuff of technological fantasies: an ion propulsion (离子推进) engine.
If all goes as planned, Deep Space 1, scheduled for launch later this month, will be the forerunner of a new’ generation of spacecraft. While flight planners hope the ship will make some interesting observations about the target asteroid, including its composition and the structure of its surface, DS1 ‘s primary assignment is to validate a host of new technologies NASA has always considered too risky to try on a mission that may attract a great deal of public attention. Says Mar Rayman of Jet Propulsion Laboratory, DS1’ s chief engineer, “We have an unproven propulsion system,  powered by an unproven solar panel, commanded by an unproven navigation system.
What is most remarkable about the spacecraft is how it gets from place to place. After being launched by an ordinary rocket, DS1 will be pushed through space by an engine that works by firing electrons into atoms of xenon gas, stripping each of an electron and giving the atoms an electric charge-ionizing them. The ions are then accelerated through an electric field and emitted from the thrusters at 65,000 m. p. h. Despite that speed, the particles produce little thrust, comparable to the weight of a piece of paper.
(1)What is special about NASA’s planned deep-space mission regarding its publicity?
    A.It is targeted at a large asteroid.
    B.It is much less reported by the media.
    C.It is the same as other unmanned probes.
    D.It isn’t certain whether it will be successful.
(2)What is the primary, purpose of the DS1 mission?
    A.Testing new technologies for future spacecraft.
    B.Calculating risks for the benefit of other missions.
    C.Studying the surface of a large asteroid.
    D.Proving a new generation of spacecraft.
(3)Once launched, whether the spacecraft will reach its destination is incidental to the performance of all the following EXCEPT ___________.
    A.the self-navigation system
    B.the ion-powered engine
    C.the solar cells
    D.the flight planners
(4)How does the DS1 leave the earth’s orbit?
    A.By its special propulsion engine.
    B.By a conventional rocket engine.
    C.By firing electrons into the atoms of xenon gas.
    D.By accelerating through an electric field.
(5)Which of the following is NOT true according to this article?
    A.The author likens the DS1’s navigation system to an electronic brain.
    B.The DS1 is the first of a new breed of spacecraft.
    C.The DS1 chief engineer has nothing to lose in such a mission.
    D.The DS1’s power system used to be the dream of scientists.
34.[阅读理解] Most young people enjoy some forms of physical activity. It may be walking, cycling or swimming, or in winter skating or skiing. It may be a game of some kind-foot-ball, hockey, golf, or tennis. It may be mountaineering(登山).
Those who have a passion for climbing high and difficult mountains are often looked upon with astonishment. Why are men and women willing to suffer cold and hardship, and to take risks on high mountains? This astonishment is caused probably by the difference between mountaineering and other forms of activity to which men give their leisure.
Mountaineering is a sport and not a game. There are no man made rules, as there are for such games as golf and football. There are, of course, rules of a different kind which it would be dangerous to ignore, but it is this freedom from man-made rules that makes mountaineering attractive to many people. Those who climb mountains are free to use their own methods.
If we compare mountaineering and other more familiar sports, we might think that one big difference is that mountaineering is not a “team game”. We should be mistaken in this. There are, it is true, no “matches” between “teams” of climbers, but when climbers are on a rock face linked by a rope on which their lives may depend, there is obviously teamwork.
The mountain climber knows that he may have to fight forces that are stronger and are powerful than man. He has to fight the forces of nature. His sport requires high mental and physical qualities.
A mountain climber continues to improve in skill year after year. A skier if probably past his best by the age of thirty, and most international tennis champions are in their early twenties. But it is not unusual for a man of fifty or sixty to climb the highest mountains in the Alps. They may take more time that younger men, but they probably climb with more skill and less waste of effort, and they certainly experience equal enjoyment.
(1)Mountaineering involves everything EXCEPT ______________.
    A.cold
    B.hardship
    C.risk
    D.astonishment
(2)The difference between a sport and a game has to do with the kind of __________.
    A.activity
    B.rules
    C.uniform
    D.participants
(3)Mountaineering can be called a team sport because _________.
    A.it is an Olympic event
    B.teams compete against each other
    C.mountaineers depend on each other while climbing
    D.there are 5 climbers on each team
(4)Mountaineers compete against __________.
    A.nature
    B.each other
    C.other teams
    D.international standards
(5)The best title for the passage is ___________.
    A.Mountaineering Is Different from Golf and Football
    B.Mountaineering Is More Attractive than Other Sports
    C.Mountaineering
    D.Mountain Climbers
35.[阅读理解] Faces, like fingerprints, are unique. Did you ever wonder how it is possible for us to recognize people? Even a skilled writer probably could not describe all the features that make one face different from another. Yet a very young child-or even an animal, such as a pigeon-can learn to recognize faces, we all take this ability for granted.
We also tell people apart by how they behave. When we talk about someone’s personality, we mean the ways in which he or she acts, speaks, thinks and feels that make that individual different from other.
Like the human face, human personality is very complex. But describing someone’s personality in words is somewhat easier than describing his face. If you were asked to describe what a “nice face” looked like, you probably would have a difficult time doing so.
But if you were asked to describe a “nice person”, you might begin to think about someone who was kind, considerate, friendly, warm, and so forth.
There are many words to describe how a person thinks, feels and acts. Fordin Allport, an American psychologist, found nearly 18,000 English words charactering differences in people’s behavior. And many of us use this information as a basis for describing, or typing, his personality. Bookworms, conservatives, military types-people are described with such terms.
People have always tried to “type” each other. Actors in early Greek drama wore masks to show the audience whether they played the villains or the hero’s role. In fact, the words “person” and “personality” come from the Latin persona, meaning “mask”. Today most television and movie actors do not wear masks. But we easily tell the “good guys” from the “bad guys” because the two types differ in appearance as well as in actions.
(1)By using the simile (直喻) of fingerprints, the author tells us that _____.
    A.people differ from each other in facial features
    B.people have difficulty in describing the features of fingerprints
    C.people have different personalities
    D.people can learn to recognize faces
(2)According to this passage, some animals have the gift of _____.
    A.typing each other
    B.telling people apart by how they behave
    C.recognizing human faces
    D.telling good people from bad people
(3)Who most probably knows best hw to describe people’s personality?
    A.Psychologists.
    B.The modern TV audience.
    C.The ancient Greek audience
    D.The movie star.
(4)According to the passage, it is possible for us to tell one type of person form another because _____.
    A.human faces have complex features
    B.people differ in their behavioral and physical characteristics
    C.human fingerprints provide unique information
    D.people’s behavior can be easily described in words
(5)Which of the following is the major point of the passage?
    A.How to get to know people.
    B.Why it is necessary to identify people’s personality.
    C.Hoe best to recognize people.
    D.Why it is possible to describe people.
36.[完型填空] Directions: There are 20 blanks in the following passage. For each blank there are four choices marked A ), B ), C ) and D ) on the right side of the paper, you should choose the ONE that best fits into the passage. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.

There was a time then parents who wanted an educational present for their children would buy a typewriter, a globe or a set of encyclopedia(百科全书). Now those ## seem hopelessly old-fashioned: this Christmas, ## a lot of personal computers under the tree. ## that computers are their key to success, parents are also frantically insisting that children ## taught to use them in school--- as early as possible.
The problem for schools is that when it ## computers, parents do not always know best. Many schools are ## parental impatience and are purchasing hardware ## sound educational planning so they can say, :Ok, we’ve moved into the computer age.” Teachers ## themselves caught in the middle of the problem-between parent pressure and ## educational decisions. Educators do not even agree ## how computers should be used. A lot of money is going for computerized educational materials ## research has shown can be taught ## with pencil and paper. Even those who believe that all children should ## to computer warn of potential ## to the very young.
The temptation remains strong largely because young children ## so well to computers. First graders have been ## willing to work for two hours on math skills. Some have an attention span of 20 minutes. ## school can afford to go into computing, and that creates ## another problem: division between the haves and have-nots.
Very few parents ## for computer instruction in poor school districts, ## there may be barely enough money to pay the reading teacher.
    A.items
    B.books
    C.sets
    D.series
    A.there were
    B.they were
    C.there had
    D.they had
    A.Given
    B.Provided