[在线作业] 北语19春《阅读》(II)作业

[复制链接]
发表于 2019-4-29 08:54:02 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
19春《阅读》(II)作业1
1.[单选题]While I was working as a child psychologist,a principal phoned me."I'm baffled,"he said."A child has written an essay called ‘The Properties of the Nucleus.’"His teacher can't

understand it.Neither can I."I went to the school and met Mark,an eight-year-old with ginger hair and freckles.He looked like a very ordinary boy to me.I proceeded with the intelligence

test."What is Mars?"I asked.Most children his age say,"A chocolate bar."He described the planet in detail.He quickly completed the tests,including a math test for much older children.Then

he looked at me as if to say:"Can't you come up with something more difficult?"I had seen gifted children before,but this boy was "off the map"as far as assessing his IQ was

concerned.Mark's principle and arranged for Mark to be tutored by a science teacher.But in many ways he was just a normal child.We wanted him to be socially adjusted as well as

intellectually outstanding.So we also encouraged him to join the Club Scouts and we kept him in class with kids of his age for the time being.I asked Mark's parents what they thought of

him."He can be a pain in the neck,"his mother said."He asks such impossible questions,"she smiled."But we love him dearly."This was crucial.Like the rest of us,gifted children need to be

loved.He gained a first-class honors degree from Cambridge,is now chairman of his own computer company and is happily married with two children. 问题:Which of the following is not ture? (

)
    A.the author and the principal seperated the boy from the other children to be tutored by a science teacher
    B.the author and the principal encouraged the boy to join the Club Scouts
    C.the gifted children needed love like the rest of us
    D.the boy might not be stupid
    正确答案:——A——
2.[单选题]You don't have to set up a foundation or spend hours raising money to help the environment.Joey Gordon-Levitt,16,does his part by simply collecting his newspapers,plastic,and

cans-and have them recycled."Everyone should recycle,"the teen star says.Singer and actor Better Midler goes a step further-She picks up other people's garbage.For example,Midler has

helped remove truckloads of trash from Fort Tryon Park in New York City.Such simple efforts at trash collection and reduction are catching on.Last year,the Environmental Protection Agency

counted 7,500 recycling programs in the US. That's up from just 1,000 programs in 1988.Almost half of the country's population now lives in towns and cities with curbside recycling.So we

're on the right track to reducing trash.But we still have a long way to go.In 1994, about 40% of paper products and plastic soda bottles produced in this country were recycled. But only

2% of food packaging was recovered!We also have to work on creating more demand for recycled material.You can help by checking labels-and buying products made from recovered paper,

plastic,and metal.Recycling saves resources like water and trees,and cuts down on air pollution.So what are you waiting for?Get to work taking care of our "rock.""If we don't,we'll all

have to move to Mars,"says Gordon-Levitt."The only problem is that we don't know how to do that yet!" 问题: What is unusual about Better Midler?
    A.She helps the environment
    B.She picks up other peoples trash
    C.she collects newspapers, plastic and cans like Gordon-Levitt
    D.she urges other people to take their garbage out of the city
    正确答案:——B——
3.[单选题]Astronomers(天文学家) can tell just how hot the surface of the moon gets.The side of the moon toward the sun gets two degrees hotter than boiling water(沸水).The night side

reaches 243 degrees below zero(零度).In an eclipse(月蚀),the earth's shadow falls on the moon.Then the moon's temperature may drop 300 degrees in a very short time.A temperature change

like this cannot happen on the earth.Why does it happen on the moon?Astronomers think that the surface of the moon is dust.On the earth,rocks store heat from the sun.When the sun goes

down,the rocks stay warm.But the dust of the moon cannot store heat.So when the moon gets dark,the heat escapes quickly.The moon gets very cold.    问题:The surface of the moon is probably

(     )
    A.rock that stores heat
    B.dust that stores heat
    C.dust that cannot store heat
    D.rock that does not store heat
    正确答案:——C——
4.[单选题]No one thought of anything even a little bit like the zipper until Whitecomb L.Judson came along. There were buttons and button-holes, hooks and eyes, laces and buckles. They all

took an irritatingly long time to do up, especially when men wore high-laced boots and fashionable ladies squeezed themselves into long corsets. Whitecomb L.Judson's slide-fastener was an

out-of-the-blue invention, and no one knows what gave him the idea. No one even knows much about him, except that he was a mechanical engineer living in Chicago and that he patented other

inventions, to do with a street railway system and motor-cars. Judson invented the first zipper(called, at the time, a Clasp Locker or Unlocker)in 1891. This ingenious little device looks

so simple, and the principle behind it is simple: one row of hooks and eyes slotting neatly into another row by means of a tab. Yet it took 22 years, many improvements and another inventor

to make the zipper really practical.问题:When Judson's invention first appeared, people (  )
    A.had expected it for a long time
    B.were very much surprised
    C.didn't understand it
    D.were indifferent to it
    正确答案:————
5.[单选题]On the 4th step down I slipped,fell,and was just barely able,with my right hand,to (check) my side.
    A.examine
    B.push
    C.stop
    D.pull
6.[单选题]Surprisingly,she'd slept,though her mind was (churning) when she went to bed.
    A.a total blank
    B.agitated
    C.confused
    D.sharp
7.[单选题]Copper(铜)was the first metal that man learned to make.In some mountainous lands there were rocks streaked with green minerals.One day some rocks were accidentally heated by a

roaring fire.When the fire burned low,little beads of copper were seen on the rock wall.After that,men heated the rock deliberately to see whether more copper would appear.They soon found a

good way to make copper.They would build a trench on a hillside and fill it with charcoal and copper-bearing rock.They covered this furnace with flat stones.They started a wood fire to heat

the charcoal and the hot charcoal released copper from the rock.A hot red pool of melted metal formed at the mouth of the trench.When it was cool,the solid metal could be lifted out and cut

and pounded into shapes.  问题:Copper is found in rocks in(    )
    A.large pieces
    B.lumps
    C.small beads
    D.streaks
8.[单选题]My father was 17 when he left the farm in Cameron,N.C., and set off for Baltimore to apply for a job at the Martin Aircraft Company. When asked what he wanted to do, he

said,"Everything."  He explained that his goal was to learn every job in the factory. He'd like to go to a department and find out what was done there. When the supervisor determined his

work was as good as anyone else's, he'd want to go to a different department and start over. The personnel people agreed to this unusual request, and by the time H.T.Morris was 20, he'd

made his way through the huge factory and was working in experimental design for a fantastic salary. Whenever he went to a new department, he looked for the guys who had been around

forever. These were the people novices usually avoided, afraid that next to them they'd look like the beginners they were. My father asked them every question he could think of. They liked

this inquisitive young man and showed him shortcuts they had developed that no one else had ever asked about. These sages became his mentors. Whatever your goals, plan to network with those

who know more than you. Model your efforts on theirs, adjusting and improving as you go.            问题:The veteran workers in the factory liked the author's father because the young man

was (   )
    A.willing to look like a beginner
    B.trying to avoid being around forever
    C.always asking questions
    D.interested in his mentors
9.[单选题]The inventor of spectacles probably lived in the town of Paris, Italy, around 1286, and was almost certainly a craftsman working in glass. But nobody knows his name. We only know

this much about him because Friar Giordane preached a sermon one Wednesday morning in February 1306 at a church in Florence. "It's not yet 20 years since there was found the art of making

eye-glasses which make for good vision," said the Friar."One of the best arts and most necessary that the world has. So short a time is it since there was invented a new art that never

existed. I have seen the man who first invented and created it, and I have talked to him." We know what Friar Giordane said because admirers copied his sermons down as he gave them. The

inventor of spectacles apparently kept the method of making them to himself. Perhaps he thought this was the best way of getting money from his invention. But the idea soon got around. As

early as 1300, craftsmen in Venice,the centre of Europe's glass industry, were making the new "disks for the eyes".Spectacles at first were only shaped for far-sighted people. Concave

lenses, for short-sighted people, were not developed until the late 15th century. Spectacles allowed people to go on reading and studying long after bad eyesight would normally have forced

them to give up.They were like a new pair of eyes. The inventor of such a valuable thing should be honored, everyone thought. But for centuries no one had any idea who the inventor really

was. So all kinds of candidates were put forward: Dutch, English, German, Italians from rival cities. A fake memorial was erected last century in a church in Florence to honor a man as the

true inventor of spectacles-but he never even existed.  问题:The first record of the spectacles is to be found in (   )
    A.newspapers
    B.church sermons
    C.trade reports
    D.praises of Jordan
10.[单选题]In the late 1920s my mother ran away from home to marry my father.Marriage,if not running away,was expected of 17-year-old girls.By the time she was 20,she had 2 children and was

pregnant with a third.5 children later,I was born.And this is how I came to know my mother:she seemed a large,soft,loving-eyed woman who was rarely impatient in our home.Her quick,violent

temper was on view only a few times a year,when she battled with the white landlord who had the misfortune to suggest to her that her children did not need to go to school.She made all the

clothes we wore,even my brothers' overalls.She made all the towels and sheets we used. She spent the summers canning vegetables and fruits.She spent the winter evenings making quilts enough

to cover all our beds.During the "working" day,she labored beside-not behind-my father in the fields.Her day began before sunup,and did not end until late at night.There was never a moment

for her to sit down,undisturbed,to unravel her own private thoughts;never a time free from interruption-by work or the noisy inquiries of her many children.And yet,it is to my mother-and

all our mothers who were not famous-that I went in search of the secret of what has fed that muzzled and often mutilated,but vibrant,creative spirit that the black woman has inherited,and

that pops out in wild and unlikly places to this day. 问题:The white landlord angered the narrator's mother by ( )
    A.driving her children out of school
    B.telling her not to let her children go to school
    C.fighting with her
    D.being rich
11.[单选题]My father was 17 when he left the farm in Cameron,N.C., and set off for Baltimore to apply for a job at the Martin Aircraft Company. When asked what he wanted to do, he

said,"Everything."  He explained that his goal was to learn every job in the factory. He'd like to go to a department and find out what was done there. When the supervisor determined his

work was as good as anyone else's, he'd want to go to a different department and start over. The personnel people agreed to this unusual request, and by the time H.T.Morris was 20, he'd

made his way through the huge factory and was working in experimental design for a fantastic salary. Whenever he went to a new department, he looked for the guys who had been around

forever. These were the people novices usually avoided, afraid that next to them they'd look like the beginners they were. My father asked them every question he could think of. They liked

this inquisitive young man and showed him shortcuts they had developed that no one else had ever asked about. These sages became his mentors. Whatever your goals, plan to network with those

who know more than you. Model your efforts on theirs, adjusting and improving as you go.            问题:It took the author's father about (   ) years to be able to do every job in the

big factory.
    A.two
    B.three
    C.five
    D.six
12.[单选题]Our party of 4 old-timers, of whom I, at 71,was the oldest,had (convened) a week earlier in Kathmandu,the capital,and had met our journey leader Nancy Jo there.
    A.gathered
    B.stayed
    C.walked
    D.rested
13.[单选题]"I can't take all the (bending) any longer,"she said.
    A.standing
    B.working
    C.stooping
    D.sitting
14.[单选题]Copper(铜)was the first metal that man learned to make.In some mountainous lands there were rocks streaked with green minerals.One day some rocks were accidentally heated by a

roaring fire.When the fire burned low,little beads of copper were seen on the rock wall.After that,men heated the rock deliberately to see whether more copper would appear.They soon found a

good way to make copper.They would build a trench on a hillside and fill it with charcoal and copper-bearing rock.They covered this furnace with flat stones.They started a wood fire to heat

the charcoal and the hot charcoal released copper from the rock.A hot red pool of melted metal formed at the mouth of the trench.When it was cool,the solid metal could be lifted out and cut

and pounded into shapes.  问题:The first copper was probably made by(    )
    A.experimenting
    B.accident
    C.someone deliberately building a fire
    D.someone who knew that there was copper in the rock
15.[单选题]My father was 17 when he left the farm in Cameron,N.C., and set off for Baltimore to apply for a job at the Martin Aircraft Company. When asked what he wanted to do, he

who know more than you. Model your efforts on theirs, adjusting and improving as you go.        问题:The author's father applied for a job at the Martin Aircraft Company and his goal was

(    )
    A.to be a good worker with a special knowledge about his work
    B.to do everything assigned him willingly
    C.to be able to do whatever job there was in the factory
    D.to be a good supervisor himself in the future
16.[单选题]The history of the Winter Games,however,has been even more troubled than that of the Summer Games.Until 1924 all the winter sports competitions,held every 4 years from 1901 to

1917 and again in 1992,had been in the Scandinavian countries-Sweden,Norway and Finland.The sportsmen of these countries believed that the Winter Games could only be held in the

Scandinavian way.Coubertin,himself,was against a separate Winter Olympics as he felt that they would cause trouble within the Olympic movement.However,as winter holidays in the Alps became

more and more popular,so did the idea of a truly international Winter Games.The first Winter Olympics were held in Chamonix in 1924,though they were only recognized by the International

Olympic Committee as "Olympic" two years later in 1926.Although there were many arguments before them,the 1st Games were a success,but the problems did not end there.In 1935,it was decided

by the IOC that ski teachers could not compete in the Olympics because they were professionals.This caused a big argument between the IOC and the International Ski Federation,who agreed

with the ski teachers and,as the two organizations could come to an end very soon after their beginning.However,war came and with it an end to the discussions.When the war was finally

over,the Winter Games were started up again,as before,in St Moritz in 1948 and the crisis had passed.  问题:Before 1924,all the winter sports competitions were held in (   )
    A.Asia
    B.Africa
    C.Latin America
    D.Europe
17.[单选题]At the 1908 Olympics in London the Marathon race was held on a very hot day.The race started at Windsor Castle,one of the homes of the Royal Family,so that the Royal children

could see the runners leave.The race was planned to continue for 26 miles 385 yards (42,195 metres),now the accepted distance for this race,into Central London.Because of the great

heat,however,many runners had to give up before they could finish the race.Towards the end,the large crowd waited with great excitement for the South African,Charles Hefferon,to come into

the stadium first.They were surprised,however,when the 1st man to appear was the small Italian,Pietri Dorando.Dorando was by now extremely tired and weak and,as he was running round the

stadium towards the finishing line,he fell to the groud,unable to continue.Doctors rushed to help him and he soon got to his feet and continued,with loud cheers from the crowd.As he came

close to the line he had to be helped again, this time by a journalist,but finally he finished the race.He was not,of course,allowed to receive the gold because he had had help during the

race.Afterwards, Dorando argued unsuccessfully that he had not asked for this help.But the medal was given to an American,Hayes,who had finished second.However, Dorando later received a

special gold cup from Queen Alexandra for his courage.   问题:Dorando later received a special gold cup because of his (     )
    A.top speed
    B.fair play
    C.great courage
    D.successful argument
18.[单选题]While I was working as a child psychologist,a principal phoned me."I'm baffled,"he said."A child has written an essay called ‘The Properties of the Nucleus.’"His teacher can't

understand it.Neither can I."I went to the school and met Mark,an eight-year-old with ginger hair and freckles.He looked like a very ordinary boy to me.I proceeded with the intelligence

test."What is Mars?"I asked.Most children his age say,"A chocolate bar."He described the planet in detail.He quickly completed the tests,including a math test for much older children.Then

he looked at me as if to say:"Can't you come up with something more difficult?"I had seen gifted children before,but this boy was "off the map"as far as assessing his IQ was

concerned.Mark's principle and arranged for Mark to be tutored by a science teacher.But in many ways he was just a normal child.We wanted him to be socially adjusted as well as

intellectually outstanding.So we also encouraged him to join the Club Scouts and we kept him in class with kids of his age for the time being.I asked Mark's parents what they thought of

him."He can be a pain in the neck,"his mother said."He asks such impossible questions,"she smiled."But we love him dearly."This was crucial.Like the rest of us,gifted children need to be

loved.He gained a first-class honors degree from Cambridge,is now chairman of his own computer company and is happily married with two children.   问题:The principal was puzzled because (  

)
    A.he could not understand the strange ideas of a gifted boy
    B.he didn't believe an eight-year-old boy could write a scientific essay on the nucleus
    C.he was shocked to see an eight-year-old boy interested in the nucleus
    D.he could not understand the essay
19.[单选题]Everyone who eats in Carman's Country Kitchen in South Philadelphia knows that if you need a job,a place to stay or a friendly ear on a blue day,you come to Carman Luntzel.The

six-foot,46 year-old powerhouse not only cooks,she also acts as her restaurant's discussion leader and matchmaker.When breakfast regular Stephen Sacavitch wasn't meeting women,she put his

picture on a bulletin board,with the words:"Girls.Nice guy.Give him a break."Last September a coffeepot left on a red-hot burner nearly destroyed the restaurant.Luntzel didn't have

insurance.But bad news has a way of turning good at Carman's.Bereft at the thought of no more buttermilk pancakes or homemade pear pie-and no more Carman dishing out advice and help-her

customers pitched in.They boarded up her windows,removed debris and primed and painted her scorched walls.It wasn't just the regulars.A guy on a motorcycle dropped off some cash.A woman

from a nearby restaurant scoured charred dishes and stuck two $50 bills in Luntzel's pocket as she left.Just three weeks after the blaze,Luntzel was serving breakfast again."It was

incredible,"she says."There's a sense about Carman that is just can-do,"says regular Kevin Vaughan."It's infectious."       问题: How many weeks did it take to reopen the restaurant ?
    A.2 weeks
    B.3 weeks
    C.2 months
    D.3 months
20.[单选题]In the late 1920s my mother ran away from home to marry my father.Marriage,if not running away,was expected of 17-year-old girls.By the time she was 20,she had 2 children and was

pregnant with a third.5 children later,I was born.And this is how I came to know my mother:she seemed a large,soft,loving-eyed woman who was rarely impatient in our home.Her quick,violent

temper was on view only a few times a year,when she battled with the white landlord who had the misfortune to suggest to her that her children did not need to go to school.She made all the

clothes we wore,even my brothers' overalls.She made all the towels and sheets we used. She spent the summers canning vegetables and fruits.She spent the winter evenings making quilts enough

to cover all our beds.During the "working" day,she labored beside-not behind-my father in the fields.Her day began before sunup,and did not end until late at night.There was never a moment

for her to sit down,undisturbed,to unravel her own private thoughts;never a time free from interruption-by work or the noisy inquiries of her many children.And yet,it is to my mother-and

all our mothers who were not famous-that I went in search of the secret of what has fed that muzzled and often mutilated,but vibrant,creative spirit that the black woman has inherited,and

that pops out in wild and unlikly places to this day.        问题:The goal of the narrator's research was to (    )
    A.praise all the working black mothers
    B.find reasons for the black woman's creativeness
    C.show how black women's talent has been stifled
    D.recall her own mother's good qualities
19春《阅读》(II)作业2
1.[单选题]As the candle (flickered out),so would their lives.
    A.shone brightly and then died out
    B.fluttered and became dim
    C.burnt unsteadily and gradually died out
    D.burnt brightly and then became dim
2.[单选题]In 1989,Melissa started Kids F.A.C.E.as an after-school club at her elementary school.The six-member group met each Monday to write letters and plan cleanup activities."We never

thought it was anything more than a group of kids coming together so they could talk about the environment,"says Trish Poe,her mother.But then a letter from Milissa to the "Today" show got

her club on television in 1990.When other kids heard about the club,they wrote asking how they could get involed.So Melissa,with the help of her mother,who today manages the Kids

F.A.C.E.office as executive director,developed a membership book that instructed kids on environmental projects and how to start a club of their own."I felt like I had to write them all

back at once because I didn't like what the president did to me.Because I didn't like being ignored...I didn't want the kids to have the same feeling,"says Melissa.Requests for information

came from all over the nation.At first,Melissa's parents paid the postage and supply bills for the club,but soon expenses became too high.So the club found a sponsor,War-Mart Inc.,which

began underwriting the bimonthly newsletter,Kids F.A.C.E.illustrated,which currently provides environmental updates,suggestions,and ideas to more than 2 million people world wide.      问题

:How many people worldwide can have access to the club's bimonthly newsletter?
    A.1 million
    B.2 million
    C.3 million
    D.4 million
3.[单选题]Surely a (telltale hole )in the melted wax would expose the end of the metal capsule concealed in the base of the candle.
    A.a hole that revealed the secret
    B.a hoel that was able to tell a story
    C.a hole that was able to be used in a tale
    D.a hoel that appeared in a tale
    正确答案:——A——
4.[单选题]In the (haze) I saw two of my trek mates.
    A.darkness
    B.light
    C.thin mist
    D.heavy smog
5.[单选题]The 12th lunar month in Chinese is called layue(the month to worship all the deities).The 8th day of the 12the lunar month is the Laba Festival.It is treated as the beginning of

the Chinese holiday season.After the Laba Festival,people enter into the busy preparation for the Lunar New Year.The main activity of the Laba Festival is cooking and sharing the special

laba gruel(laba-zhou).Most people believe it has a close relation to Sakyamuni,the Buddha.He left his comfortable home and set off in search of the final enlightenment.After days of

travelling without rest,he collapsed near a river in northern India.He was revived by a wandering shepherdess,who offered him her lunch of family leftovers consisting of sticky

cereal,glutinous rice,dates,chestnuts and wild fruit.After consuming this repast,Sakyamuni took a batch and sat under a tree for meditation,where he finally attained enlightenment.The very

day was the 8th day of the last lunar month.The meal was the original laba gruel.    问题:The 8th day of the last lunar month was remarkable because that day Sakyamuni(    )
    A.ate a meal given by a shepherdess
    B.found the meal very delicious
    C.made a deep meditation
    D.obtained the final enlightenment
6.[单选题]Hemingway was born in 1899 in Oak Park,Illinois,a prosperous suburb of Chicago.His father,a physician,was an enthusiastic hunter and fisheman who taught his son to handle a rod

and a gun.Hemingway's respect for these skills and his love of the open air run through his writing.He has tired to capture the point of view,actions,feelings,and speech of men who excel in

the activities he admires.In school Hemingway was a good student,with a wide range of interests beyond the classroom.He was known as a boxer,a football player,a member of the swimming

team,and manager of the track team.For 3 years he played in the school orchestra.But much of his activity was connected with words,which were to be his lifelong preoccupation.First as

reporter,then as editor,he gained experience on the school paper,to which he contributed articles and stories.When Hemingway graduated from high school in 1917,World War I was still being

fought.After a few months as a reporter on the Kansas City Star,he sailed for Europe in May,1918,as a volunteer ambulance driver and later transferred to the Italian infantry.Two weeks

before his 19th birthday a leg wound brought him close to death.War and death have been recurrent themes in Hemingway's writing.Of war he has said," I thought about Tolstoi and about what a

great advantage an experience of war was to a writer.It was one of the major subjects and certainly one of the hardest to write truly of ... "    问题:Hemingway thought that his experience

of war was to him (      )
    A.the hardest subject to write about
    B.something very useful for writing
    C.something as terrible as death
    D.like that of Tolstoi's
7.[单选题]Dorothy worked alongside him,in the beginning,until he proved himself;then gradually she (relinquished) more of the work to him and concentrated on her garden and flowers,and the

housework
    A.gave up
    B.offered
    C.took
    D.reconsidered
8.[单选题]In 1989,Melissa started Kids F.A.C.E.as an after-school club at her elementary school.The six-member group met each Monday to write letters and plan cleanup activities."We never

thought it was anything more than a group of kids coming together so they could talk about the environment,"says Trish Poe,her mother.But then a letter from Milissa to the "Today" show got

her club on television in 1990.When other kids heard about the club,they wrote asking how they could get involed.So Melissa,with the help of her mother,who today manages the Kids

F.A.C.E.office as executive director,developed a membership book that instructed kids on environmental projects and how to start a club of their own."I felt like I had to write them all

back at once because I didn't like what the president did to me.Because I didn't like being ignored...I didn't want the kids to have the same feeling,"says Melissa.Requests for information

came from all over the nation.At first,Melissa's parents paid the postage and supply bills for the club,but soon expenses became too high.So the club found a sponsor,War-Mart Inc.,which

began underwriting the bimonthly newsletter,Kids F.A.C.E.illustrated,which currently provides environmental updates,suggestions,and ideas to more than 2 million people world wide.      问题

:When Melissa was starting the club,she was (     )
    A.a school teacher working for the kids
    B.a social worker taking care of children after school
    C.the parent of a kid at school
    D.a kid attending an elementary school
9.[单选题]At the 1908 Olympics in London the Marathon race was held on a very hot day.The race started at Windsor Castle,one of the homes of the Royal Family,so that the Royal children

could see the runners leave.The race was planned to continue for 26 miles 385 yards (42,195 metres),now the accepted distance for this race,into Central London.Because of the great

heat,however,many runners had to give up before they could finish the race.Towards the end,the large crowd waited with great excitement for the South African,Charles Hefferon,to come into

the stadium first.They were surprised,however,when the 1st man to appear was the small Italian,Pietri Dorando.Dorando was by now extremely tired and weak and,as he was running round the

stadium towards the finishing line,he fell to the groud,unable to continue.Doctors rushed to help him and he soon got to his feet and continued,with loud cheers from the crowd.As he came

close to the line he had to be helped again, this time by a journalist,but finally he finished the race.He was not,of course,allowed to receive the gold because he had had help during the

race.Afterwards, Dorando argued unsuccessfully that he had not asked for this help.But the medal was given to an American,Hayes,who had finished second.However, Dorando later received a

special gold cup from Queen Alexandra for his courage.   问题:the one who 1st finished the Marathon race turned out to be (    )
    A.Hefferon
    B.Dorando
    C.Hayes
    D.Alexandra
10.[单选题]He had carried messages and acted as (lookout).
    A.person sent to attract enemy's attention
    B.person assighed to protect the message
    C.person assigned to be on the watch
    D.person sent to set up sighposts
11.[单选题]No one thought of anything even a little bit like the zipper until Whitecomb L.Judson came along. There were buttons and button-holes, hooks and eyes, laces and buckles. They all

took an irritatingly long time to do up, especially when men wore high-laced boots and fashionable ladies squeezed themselves into long corsets. Whitecomb L.Judson's slide-fastener was an

out-of-the-blue invention, and no one knows what gave him the idea. No one even knows much about him, except that he was a mechanical engineer living in Chicago and that he patented other

inventions, to do with a street railway system and motor-cars. Judson invented the first zipper(called, at the time, a Clasp Locker or Unlocker)in 1891. This ingenious little device looks

so simple, and the principle behind it is simple: one row of hooks and eyes slotting neatly into another row by means of a tab. Yet it took 22 years, many improvements and another inventor

to make the zipper really practical.问题:When Judson's invention first appeared, people (  )
    A.had expected it for a long time
    B.were very much surprised
    C.didn't understand it
    D.were indifferent to it
12.[单选题]Surprisingly,she'd slept,though her mind was (churning) when she went to bed.
    A.a total blank
    B.agitated
    C.confused
    D.sharp
13.[单选题]Most Americans think that ice cream is as American as baseball and applepie.But ice cream was known long before American was discovered.The Roman emperor Nero may have made a

king of ice cream.He hired hundreds of men to bring snow and ice from the mountains.He used it to make cold drinks.Traveler Marco Polo brought back recipes for chilled and frozen milk from

China.Hundreds of years later,ice cream reached England.It is said that King Charles I enjoyed that treat very much.There is a story that he bribed his cook to keep the recipe for ice cream

a royal secret.Today ice cream is known throughout the world.Americans alone eat more than two billion quarts a year.  问题:The Roman emperor Nero hired men to (   )
    A.make ice cream for him
    B.bring ice cream from China
    C.guard the secret of ice cream
    D.bring ice to cool his drinks
14.[单选题]Our party of 4 old-timers, of whom I, at 71,was the oldest,had (convened) a week earlier in Kathmandu,the capital,and had met our journey leader Nancy Jo there.
    A.gathered
    B.stayed
    C.walked
    D.rested
15.[单选题]Less commonly,they make mistakes with tragic (consequences).
    A.sequence
    B.concern
    C.influences
    D.results
16.[单选题]Most Americans think that ice cream is as American as baseball and applepie.But ice cream was known long before American was discovered.The Roman emperor Nero may have made a

king of ice cream.He hired hundreds of men to bring snow and ice from the mountains.He used it to make cold drinks.Traveler Marco Polo brought back recipes for chilled and frozen milk from

China.Hundreds of years later,ice cream reached England.It is said that King Charles I enjoyed that treat very much.There is a story that he bribed his cook to keep the recipe for ice cream

a royal secret.Today ice cream is known throughout the world.Americans alone eat more than two billion quarts a year.  问题:Marco Polo is known as (    )
    A.a Roman emperor
    B.the inventor of ice cream
    C.a royal cook
    D.a traveler to China
17.[单选题]While I was working as a child psychologist,a principal phoned me."I'm baffled,"he said."A child has written an essay called ‘The Properties of the Nucleus.’"His teacher can't

loved.He gained a first-class honors degree from Cambridge,is now chairman of his own computer company and is happily married with two children.   问题:"Off the map"here means that (     )
    A.it was hard to assess how intelligent the boy was
    B.the boy surpassed the other children in intelligence and emotion
    C.the boy's intelligence was too high to register
    D.the boy was not satisfired with such an easy test
18.[单选题]The 12th lunar month in Chinese is called layue(the month to worship all the deities).The 8th day of the 12the lunar month is the Laba Festival.It is treated as the beginning of

the Chinese holiday season.After the Laba Festival,people enter into the busy preparation for the Lunar New Year.The main activity of the Laba Festival is cooking and sharing the special

laba gruel(laba-zhou).Most people believe it has a close relation to Sakyamuni,the Buddha.He left his comfortable home and set off in search of the final enlightenment.After days of

travelling without rest,he collapsed near a river in northern India.He was revived by a wandering shepherdess,who offered him her lunch of family leftovers consisting of sticky

cereal,glutinous rice,dates,chestnuts and wild fruit.After consuming this repast,Sakyamuni took a batch and sat under a tree for meditation,where he finally attained enlightenment.The very

day was the 8th day of the last lunar month.The meal was the original laba gruel.    问题:Sakyamuni ate a meal which was made of all the following except(     )
    A.wild fruit
    B.rice
    C.cereal
    D.meat
19.[单选题]In the late 1920s my mother ran away from home to marry my father.Marriage,if not running away,was expected of 17-year-old girls.By the time she was 20,she had 2 children and was

that pops out in wild and unlikly places to this day.        问题:It seems to the narrator that it would be really good if (     )
    A.the mother worked from sunup till night
    B.the mother worked side by side with her husband
    C.the mother made all things that the family needed
    D.the mother could have some time to think undisturbed
20.[单选题]In order to deceive even the (shrewd)German Secret Field Police who sometimes headed unwelcome search parties,the candle was partially burned.
    A.stupid
    B.searching
    C.cruel
    D.cunning
19春《阅读》(II)作业3
1.[单选题]At the 1908 Olympics in London the Marathon race was held on a very hot day.The race started at Windsor Castle,one of the homes of the Royal Family,so that the Royal children

special gold cup from Queen Alexandra for his courage.   问题:Dorando later received a special gold cup because of his (     )
    A.top speed
    B.fair play
    C.great courage
    D.successful argument
2.[单选题]Hemingway was born in 1899 in Oak Park,Illinois,a prosperous suburb of Chicago.His father,a physician,was an enthusiastic hunter and fisheman who taught his son to handle a rod

and a gun.Hemingway's respect for these skills and his love of the open air run through his writing.He has tired to capture the point of view,actions,feelings,and speech of men who excel in

the activities he admires.In school Hemingway was a good student,with a wide range of interests beyond the classroom.He was known as a boxer,a football player,a member of the swimming

team,and manager of the track team.For 3 years he played in the school orchestra.But much of his activity was connected with words,which were to be his lifelong preoccupation.First as

reporter,then as editor,he gained experience on the school paper,to which he contributed articles and stories.When Hemingway graduated from high school in 1917,World War I was still being

fought.After a few months as a reporter on the Kansas City Star,he sailed for Europe in May,1918,as a volunteer ambulance driver and later transferred to the Italian infantry.Two weeks

before his 19th birthday a leg wound brought him close to death.War and death have been recurrent themes in Hemingway's writing.Of war he has said," I thought about Tolstoi and about what a

great advantage an experience of war was to a writer.It was one of the major subjects and certainly one of the hardest to write truly of ... "    问题:Hemingway thought that his experience

of war was to him (      )
    A.the hardest subject to write about
    B.something very useful for writing
    C.something as terrible as death
    D.like that of Tolstoi's
3.[单选题]In the late 1920s my mother ran away from home to marry my father.Marriage,if not running away,was expected of 17-year-old girls.By the time she was 20,she had 2 children and was

that pops out in wild and unlikly places to this day.        问题:It seems to the narrator that it would be really good if (     )
    A.the mother worked from sunup till night
    B.the mother worked side by side with her husband
    C.the mother made all things that the family needed
    D.the mother could have some time to think undisturbed
    正确答案:——D——
4.[单选题]Last December 22 a pickup truck slid on an icy bridge over the Elizabeth River near Portsmouth,and slammed into the guardrail,where workers were removing scaffolding from a paving

project.The impact threw Cornell Taylor,43,more than 70 feet into the frigid water below.Nearby,Joseph G.Brisson,36,was in the wheelhouse of his tugboat.He and his crew were talking about

the upcoming holidays when suddenly their chatter was interrupted by an urgent voice:"Man down!"Brisson saw Taylor hit the water."He went down a few times and all I saw was a

hand."Realizing there was no time to wait for rescue crews,Brisson took off his shoes and handed his wallet to a co-worker,then jumped feet-first into the 40-degree water.Swimming to

Taylor,Brisson helped the disoriented man get his face above water."I told him I was not going to let him go,that if he went,I was going with him."The river current was freezing."I couldn't

feel my legs,arms or hands,"Brisson said.He locked his legs around Taylor's waist and kept the injured man float and talking."I told him we were going to be all right,that we were both

going to enjoy Christmas."Finally, after about 30 minutes in the water,the men were pulled to safety.Calling himself "a normal Joe,"Brisson says,"I have a family.I thought about that.But I

thought about how life is very important,I couldn't let anything happen to him."   问题:After Brisson saw Taylor fall into the river,he (   )
    A.waited for rescue crews first
    B.couldn't be sure where the latter was
    C.jumped into the cold water to save him
    D.asked a co-worker to jump first
5.[单选题]The inventor of spectacles probably lived in the town of Paris, Italy, around 1286, and was almost certainly a craftsman working in glass. But nobody knows his name. We only know

this much about him because Friar Giordane preached a sermon one Wednesday morning in February 1306 at a church in Florence. "It's not yet 20 years since there was found the art of making

eye-glasses which make for good vision," said the Friar."One of the best arts and most necessary that the world has. So short a time is it since there was invented a new art that never

existed. I have seen the man who first invented and created it, and I have talked to him." We know what Friar Giordane said because admirers copied his sermons down as he gave them. The

inventor of spectacles apparently kept the method of making them to himself. Perhaps he thought this was the best way of getting money from his invention. But the idea soon got around. As

early as 1300, craftsmen in Venice,the centre of Europe's glass industry, were making the new "disks for the eyes".Spectacles at first were only shaped for far-sighted people. Concave

lenses, for short-sighted people, were not developed until the late 15th century. Spectacles allowed people to go on reading and studying long after bad eyesight would normally have forced

them to give up.They were like a new pair of eyes. The inventor of such a valuable thing should be honored, everyone thought. But for centuries no one had any idea who the inventor really

was. So all kinds of candidates were put forward: Dutch, English, German, Italians from rival cities. A fake memorial was erected last century in a church in Florence to honor a man as the

true inventor of spectacles-but he never even existed.  问题:The first record of the spectacles is to be found in (   )
    A.newspapers
    B.church sermons
    C.trade reports
    D.praises of Jordan
6.[单选题]Hemingway was born in 1899 in Oak Park,Illinois,a prosperous suburb of Chicago.His father,a physician,was an enthusiastic hunter and fisheman who taught his son to handle a rod

great advantage an experience of war was to a writer.It was one of the major subjects and certainly one of the hardest to write truly of ... "    问题:a good title for the passage is (     

)
    A.Hemingway's Interest in Writing
    B.The Subjects for Hemingway's Writing
    C.The Life of Young Hemingway
    D.Hemingway's Understanding of War
7.[单选题]The inventor of spectacles probably lived in the town of Paris, Italy, around 1286, and was almost certainly a craftsman working in glass. But nobody knows his name. We only know

true inventor of spectacles-but he never even existed.         问题:The first spectalces were made for (  )
    A.any one who had an eye trouble
    B.the far-sighted
    C.the short-sighted
    D.both the far-sighted and the short-sighted
8.[单选题]Last December 22 a pickup truck slid on an icy bridge over the Elizabeth River near Portsmouth,and slammed into the guardrail,where workers were removing scaffolding from a paving

project.The impact threw Cornell Taylor,43,more than 70 feet into the frigid water below.Nearby,Joseph G.Brisson,36,was in the wheelhouse of his tugboat.He and his crew were talking about

the upcoming holidays when suddenly their chatter was interrupted by an urgent voice:"Man down!"Brisson saw Taylor hit the water."He went down a few times and all I saw was a

hand."Realizing there was no time to wait for rescue crews,Brisson took off his shoes and handed his wallet to a co-worker,then jumped feet-first into the 40-degree water.Swimming to

Taylor,Brisson helped the disoriented man get his face above water."I told him I was not going to let him go,that if he went,I was going with him."The river current was freezing."I couldn't

feel my legs,arms or hands,"Brisson said.He locked his legs around Taylor's waist and kept the injured man float and talking."I told him we were going to be all right,that we were both

going to enjoy Christmas."Finally, after about 30 minutes in the water,the men were pulled to safety.Calling himself "a normal Joe,"Brisson says,"I have a family.I thought about that.But I

thought about how life is very important,I couldn't let anything happen to him."   问题:By calling himself a normal Joe,Brisson means that (    )
    A.he is willing to sacrifice himself for others
    B.he is a family man
    C.he is an ordinary man
    D.he knows the value of life
9.[单选题]On the 4th step down I slipped,fell,and was just barely able,with my right hand,to (check) my side.
    A.examine
    B.push
    C.stop
    D.pull
10.[单选题]Although American civilization took over and replaced the frontier almost a century ago,the heritage of the frontier is still very much alive in the U.S.today.The idea of the

frontier still stirs the emotions and imaginations of the American people.Americans continue to be fascinated by the frontier because it has been a particularly important force in shaping

their national values.The frontier experience began when the first colonists settled on the east coast of the continent in the 1600s.It ended about 1890 when the last western lands were

settled.The American frontier consisted of the relatively unsettled regions of the country.Here,both land and life were more rugged and primitive than in the more settled eastern part.As

one frontier area was settled,people began moving farther west into the next unsettled area.By settling one frontier area after another,Americans moved across an entire continent,2,700

miles wide.   问题:The frontier experience began (   )
    A.in the 16th century
    B.in the 17th century
    C.in the 18th century
    D.in the 19th century
11.[单选题]You don't have to set up a foundation or spend hours raising money to help the environment.Joey Gordon-Levitt,16,does his part by simply collecting his newspapers,plastic,and

cans-and have them recycled."Everyone should recycle,"the teen star says.Singer and actor Better Midler goes a step further-She picks up other people's garbage.For example,Midler has

helped remove truckloads of trash from Fort Tryon Park in New York City.Such simple efforts at trash collection and reduction are catching on.Last year,the Environmental Protection Agency

counted 7,500 recycling programs in the US. That's up from just 1,000 programs in 1988.Almost half of the country's population now lives in towns and cities with curbside recycling.So we

're on the right track to reducing trash.But we still have a long way to go.In 1994, about 40% of paper products and plastic soda bottles produced in this country were recycled. But only

2% of food packaging was recovered!We also have to work on creating more demand for recycled material.You can help by checking labels-and buying products made from recovered paper,

plastic,and metal.Recycling saves resources like water and trees,and cuts down on air pollution.So what are you waiting for?Get to work taking care of our "rock.""If we don't,we'll all

have to move to Mars,"says Gordon-Levitt."The only problem is that we don't know how to do that yet!" 问题: What does Joey Gordon-Levitt do to help the environment?
    A.He raises money in the street
    B.He drives a truck carrying trash away
    C.He sells newspapers
    D.He collects used things that can be recycled
12.[单选题]For a few minutes he (tapped) the switch after each flash.
    A.touched
    B.painted
    C.pressed
    D.snapped
13.[单选题]Last December 22 a pickup truck slid on an icy bridge over the Elizabeth River near Portsmouth,and slammed into the guardrail,where workers were removing scaffolding from a

paving project.The impact threw Cornell Taylor,43,more than 70 feet into the frigid water below.Nearby,Joseph G.Brisson,36,was in the wheelhouse of his tugboat.He and his crew were talking

about the upcoming holidays when suddenly their chatter was interrupted by an urgent voice:"Man down!"Brisson saw Taylor hit the water."He went down a few times and all I saw was a

thought about how life is very important,I couldn't let anything happen to him."   问题: What happened to Cornell Taylor?
    A.he was thrown to the guardrail
    B.he lost control of his truck
    C.he was removed from a paving project
    D.he was thrown into the cold river
14.[单选题]You don't have to set up a foundation or spend hours raising money to help the environment.Joey Gordon-Levitt,16,does his part by simply collecting his newspapers,plastic,and

have to move to Mars,"says Gordon-Levitt."The only problem is that we don't know how to do that yet!" 问题: In 1994, 40% of the paper products and plastic soda bottles produced in America

were recycled.But (   ) of food packaging was recovered.
    A.none
    B.only half
    C.20%
    D.2%
15.[单选题]In 1989,Melissa started Kids F.A.C.E.as an after-school club at her elementary school.The six-member group met each Monday to write letters and plan cleanup activities."We never

16.[单选题]In the (haze) I saw two of my trek mates.
    A.darkness
    B.light
    C.thin mist
    D.heavy smog
17.[单选题]Most Americans think that ice cream is as American as baseball and applepie.But ice cream was known long before American was discovered.The Roman emperor Nero may have made a

a royal secret.Today ice cream is known throughout the world.Americans alone eat more than two billion quarts a year.  问题:Marco Polo is known as (    )
    A.a Roman emperor
    C.a royal cook
    D.a traveler to China
18.[单选题]Two basic models of parental influence emerge from all this competition and variety,however.One, loosely based on Freudian ideas,has presented an image of the vulnerable

child:children are sensitive beings,easily damaged not only by traumatic events and emotional stress,but also by overdoses of affection.The 2nd model is that of the behaviorists,whose

intellectual ancestors,the empiricist philosophers,described the child's mind as a tabula rasa,or blank slate.The behaviorist model of child-rearing is based on the view that the child is

malleable,and parents are therefore cast in the role of Pygmalions who can shape their children however they wish."Give me a dozen healthy infants,well-formed,and my own specified world to

bring them up in,"wrote J.B.Watson,the father of modern behaviorism,"and I'll guarantee to take any one at random and train him to be any type of specialist I might-

doctor,lawyer,artist,merchant,chief, and yes,even beggar man and thief!"The image of the vulnerable child calls for gentle parents who are sensitive to their child's inner-most thoughts and

feelings in order to protect him from trauma.The image of the malleable child requires stem parents who coolly follow the dictates of their own explicit training proceduresnly the early

eradication of bad habits in eating,sleeping,crying,can fend off permanent maladjustments.             问题: According to the behaviorist model of child-rearing,parents (   )
    A.shouldn't give overdoses of affection
    B.should know that children are sensitive
    C.can train their children to be any type of people they like
    D.should be gentle to their children
19.[单选题]"Another gray day,gray and gloomy,"she muttered,though really the rain was more than welcome after last year's (drought).
    A.lack of rain
    B.heavy storm
    C.strong wind
    D.heavy snow
20.[单选题]The 12th lunar month in Chinese is called layue(the month to worship all the deities).The 8th day of the 12the lunar month is the Laba Festival.It is treated as the beginning of

day was the 8th day of the last lunar month.The meal was the original laba gruel.    问题:Sakyamuni left his home and searched for (    )
    A.weath for life
    B.wisdom of life
    C.comforts of life
    D.remedies for life
19春《阅读》(II)作业4
1.[单选题]No one thought of anything even a little bit like the zipper until Whitecomb L.Judson came along. There were buttons and button-holes, hooks and eyes, laces and buckles. They all

to make the zipper really practical.问题:Before Judson invented the zipper, people found buttoning clothes to be (   )
    A.interesting
    B.burdensome
    C.easy
    D.comfortable
2.[单选题]In the (haze) I saw two of my trek mates.
    A.darkness
    B.light
    C.thin mist
    D.heavy smog
3.[单选题]The 12th lunar month in Chinese is called layue(the month to worship all the deities).The 8th day of the 12the lunar month is the Laba Festival.It is treated as the beginning of

day was the 8th day of the last lunar month.The meal was the original laba gruel.    问题:Sakyamuni ate a meal which was made of all the following except(     )
    A.wild fruit
    B.rice
    C.cereal
    D.meat
    正确答案:——D——
4.[单选题]Astronomers(天文学家) can tell just how hot the surface of the moon gets.The side of the moon toward the sun gets two degrees hotter than boiling water(沸水).The night side

reaches 243 degrees below zero(零度).In an eclipse(月蚀),the earth's shadow falls on the moon.Then the moon's temperature may drop 300 degrees in a very short time.A temperature change

like this cannot happen on the earth.Why does it happen on the moon?Astronomers think that the surface of the moon is dust.On the earth,rocks store heat from the sun.When the sun goes

down,the rocks stay warm.But the dust of the moon cannot store heat.So when the moon gets dark,the heat escapes quickly.The moon gets very cold.  问题:Astronomers have found that the

moon's surface is(    )
    A.always hotter than boiling water
    B.either very hot or very cold
    C.usually many degrees below zero
    D.about the same as that of the earth
5.[单选题]While I was working as a child psychologist,a principal phoned me."I'm baffled,"he said."A child has written an essay called ‘The Properties of the Nucleus.’"His teacher can't

loved.He gained a first-class honors degree from Cambridge,is now chairman of his own computer company and is happily married with two children.   问题:The boy's parents looked upon their

son as  (     )
    A.a real genius
    B.a normal boy
    C.a mischievous boy
    D.a boy that needs love
6.[单选题]Most Americans think that ice cream is as American as baseball and applepie.But ice cream was known long before American was discovered.The Roman emperor Nero may have made a king

of ice cream.He hired hundreds of men to bring snow and ice from the mountains.He used it to make cold drinks.Traveler Marco Polo brought back recipes for chilled and frozen milk from

A.a Roman emperor
    C.a royal cook
    D.a traveler to China
7.[单选题]Two basic models of parental influence emerge from all this competition and variety,however.One, loosely based on Freudian ideas,has presented an image of the vulnerable

child:children are sensitive beings,easily damaged not only by traumatic events and emotional stress,but also by overdoses of affection.The 2nd model is that of the behaviorists,whose

intellectual ancestors,the empiricist philosophers,described the child's mind as a tabula rasa,or blank slate.The behaviorist model of child-rearing is based on the view that the child is

malleable,and parents are therefore cast in the role of Pygmalions who can shape their children however they wish."Give me a dozen healthy infants,well-formed,and my own specified world to

bring them up in,"wrote J.B.Watson,the father of modern behaviorism,"and I'll guarantee to take any one at random and train him to be any type of specialist I might-

doctor,lawyer,artist,merchant,chief, and yes,even beggar man and thief!"The image of the vulnerable child calls for gentle parents who are sensitive to their child's inner-most thoughts and

feelings in order to protect him from trauma.The image of the malleable child requires stem parents who coolly follow the dictates of their own explicit training proceduresnly the early

eradication of bad habits in eating,sleeping,crying,can fend off permanent maladjustments.             问题: The image of the malleable child needs parents who are (   )
    A.tender
    B.sensitive
    C.moderate
    D.strict
8.[单选题]The inventor of spectacles probably lived in the town of Paris, Italy, around 1286, and was almost certainly a craftsman working in glass. But nobody knows his name. We only know

true inventor of spectacles-but he never even existed.         问题:The first spectalces were made for (  )
    A.any one who had an eye trouble
    B.the far-sighted
    C.the short-sighted
    D.both the far-sighted and the short-sighted
9.[单选题]Most Americans think that ice cream is as American as baseball and applepie.But ice cream was known long before American was discovered.The Roman emperor Nero may have made a king

of ice cream.He hired hundreds of men to bring snow and ice from the mountains.He used it to make cold drinks.Traveler Marco Polo brought back recipes for chilled and frozen milk from

a royal secret.Today ice cream is known throughout the world.Americans alone eat more than two billion quarts a year.  问题:More than 2 billion quarts of ice cream have been eaten (      

)
    A.by Americans in one year
    B.all over the world in one year
    C.since the time of Nero
    D.since America was discovered
10.[单选题]At the 1908 Olympics in London the Marathon race was held on a very hot day.The race started at Windsor Castle,one of the homes of the Royal Family,so that the Royal children

special gold cup from Queen Alexandra for his courage.   问题:a good title for the passage is (    )
    A.Dorando,hero of the Olympics
    B.Dorando,the fastest runner
    C.A Marathon race held on a hot day
    D.who was the 1st runner?
11.[单选题]At first,she was almost alarmingly (apathetic) and seemed to be totally uninterested in my visit.
    A.active
    B.indifferent
    C.emotional
    D.enthusiastic
12.[单选题]"Another gray day,gray and gloomy,"she muttered,though really the rain was more than welcome after last year's (drought).
    A.lack of rain
    B.heavy storm
    C.strong wind
    D.heavy snow
13.[单选题]The history of the Winter Games,however,has been even more troubled than that of the Summer Games.Until 1924 all the winter sports competitions,held every 4 years from 1901 to

1917 and again in 1992,had been in the Scandinavian countries-Sweden,Norway and Finland.The sportsmen of these countries believed that the Winter Games could only be held in the

Scandinavian way.Coubertin,himself,was against a separate Winter Olympics as he felt that they would cause trouble within the Olympic movement.However,as winter holidays in the Alps became

more and more popular,so did the idea of a truly international Winter Games.The first Winter Olympics were held in Chamonix in 1924,though they were only recognized by the International

Olympic Committee as "Olympic" two years later in 1926.Although there were many arguments before them,the 1st Games were a success,but the problems did not end there.In 1935,it was decided

by the IOC that ski teachers could not compete in the Olympics because they were professionals.This caused a big argument between the IOC and the International Ski Federation,who agreed

with the ski teachers and,as the two organizations could come to an end very soon after their beginning.However,war came and with it an end to the discussions.When the war was finally

over,the Winter Games were started up again,as before,in St Moritz in 1948 and the crisis had passed.  问题: the above passage mainly discusses (   )
    A.the birth of the winter Olympics
    B.the problems of the Winter Olympics
    C.the history of the Winter Olympics
    D.the necessity for a separate Winter Olympics
14.[单选题]New measurements taken from sleeping people explain,at least in part,why dreams tend to have such bizarre but vivid storylines.The findings deal a blow to the Freudian

interpretation of dreams but leave open the possibility that some useful personal meaning can be extracted from them.The main purpose of dreams,however,the authors of the new study

believe,is to test whether the brain has had enough sleep and,if so,to wake it up.The new results show that in sleep,the frontal lobes of the brain are shut down.In the absence of activity

in these lobes,which integrate other information and make sense of the outside world,the sleeping brain's images are driven by its emotional centers.The content of these dreams may be vivid

and gripping but lacks coherence.The new results are consistent with the theory that memories are consolidated during sleep.From the pattern of activity that was recorded,"it seems that

memories already in the system are being read out and filed in terms of their emotional salience,with is an extremely interesting idea,"said Dr.J.Allan Hobson of Harvard Medical School.The

new measurements were made by applying the technique known as PET scanning to sleeping subjects.The biologists focused on the two forms of sleep,known as slow-wave sleep and REM sleep.REM

sleep,so named because of the rapid eyeball movements that occur then,takes palce about four times during the night and is the phase from which the most vivid dreams are recalled.     问题

:The new results of the study (    )
    A.show that in sleep the frontal lobes of the brain are active
    B.record the pattern of dream activity
    C.prove that memories are consolidated during sleep
    D.prove that dreams are based on and reflect daily facts
15.[单选题]In 1989,Melissa started Kids F.A.C.E.as an after-school club at her elementary school.The six-member group met each Monday to write letters and plan cleanup activities."We never

:More people wanted to join the club after(     )
    A.a newspaper interview was made
    B.enough letters were distributed
    C.they heard about the club from a television show
    D.Melissa became an executive director
16.[单选题]The inventor of spectacles probably lived in the town of Paris, Italy, around 1286, and was almost certainly a craftsman working in glass. But nobody knows his name. We only know

true inventor of spectacles-but he never even existed.           问题:The final paragraph discusses (   )
    A.the function of spectacles
    B.the fake memorial
    C.the invention of spectacles
    D.the identity of the inventor
17.[单选题]While death might (beckon)at any time,its dark shadow came directly into their home sometime after dusk every Thursday.
    A.make an unnoticed departure
    B.make a signaling or summoning gesture
    C.make a sudden dash
    D.make a fatal stroke
18.[单选题]Two basic models of parental influence emerge from all this competition and variety,however.One, loosely based on Freudian ideas,has presented an image of the vulnerable

eradication of bad habits in eating,sleeping,crying,can fend off permanent maladjustments.             问题:According to the Freudian model of parental influence,a child is (   )
    A.tough
    B.easily hurt
    C.well-behaved
    D.healthy
19.[单选题]In 1989,Melissa started Kids F.A.C.E.as an after-school club at her elementary school.The six-member group met each Monday to write letters and plan cleanup activities."We never

20.[单选题]No one thought of anything even a little bit like the zipper until Whitecomb L.Judson came along. There were buttons and button-holes, hooks and eyes, laces and buckles. They all

to make the zipper really practical.                  问题:A good title for the above passage is (   )
    A.Judson the Inventor
    B.How the Zipper Works
    C.The Principle of the Zipper
    D.The Invention of the Zipper
附件是答案

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表