《大学英语1》课程综合复习资料
I. Use of English
1.  — Write to me when you get home.
— OK, I _______.
A) must
B) should
C) will
D) can
2.  ― I hope I am not interrupting your work.
― ________________.
A) Oh,that’s all right.
B) O.K. Let’s startagain.
C) Please go on withyour work.
D) It’s hard to say.
3.  —letme introduce myself. I am Tom.
— _______.
A) Whata pleasure
B) It'spleasure
C) I'mvery pleased
D) Pleasedto meet you
4.  —Could you pass me the salt and pepper?
— _______.
A) Sorry, I didn't know what you mean.
B) Ok, here you are.
C) No, I won't.
D) Idon't know.
5.  —Whyhaven’t you bought any butter?
— I _________ to but I forgot about it.
A) liked
B) wished
C) meant
D) expected
6.  —“Where is Mary?”
— “She ____ to school.”
A) will go
B) has been
C) has gone
D) went
7.  — Have you finished your housework____?
— Yes. I have____ finishe
A) yet, already
B) already, yet
C) ever, never
D) still, just
8.  — How are you?
— ________
A) I am quite good.
B) I am very sorry.
C) How are you?
D) Fine, thank you.
9.  — I usually go there by train.
— Why not _______ by boat for a change?
A) try to go
B) try going
C) try go
D) go to try
10.  —Do you think _________ he should go to themusic club or not?
—Sorry, I have no idea.
A) that
B) what
C) when
D) whether
II. ReadingComprehension Passage 1
       Many people dump (倾倒)most of their garbage in sanitary landfills (垃圾填埋池). Now the landfills are overflowing(泛滥)with garbage. People are noticing that certain items in the garbage aren’tbreaking down and mixing with the soil. Things made of glass, plastics and tinchange little over years and they are piling up (堆积).
   We need to do something about it. But how?Recycling is the answer to the problem. People in many countries are trying touse these items again to make new things. It is important because it conserves(保护,保持,保存) natural resources and saves energy. For example,recycling paper saves trees. Recycling also saves space in landfills. Let’swork together to make our world beautiful.
1. Garbage overflows because ________.
       A. the landfills are toosmall
       B. there are many items ofit
       C. people dump most of itinto landfills
       D. people don’t know whereto dump it
2. Which item can mix with soil?
       A. Paper                     B. Glass        C. Tin            D.Plastics
3. People can _______ to solve the garbage problem.
       A. save energy           B. save trees                     C. dump garbage                     D.recycle
4. Things made of glass, plastics and tin _________.
       A. change a lot over theyears                    B. mix easilywith soil
       C. are too hard to breakdown                   D. do harm topeople’s health
5. Recycling is to _______.
       A. save trees                                                 B.preserve resources      
       C. use space to dumpgarbage                    D. use olditems to make new ones
Passage 2
When you take a walk in any of thecities in the West, you often see a lot of people walking dogs. It is stilltrue that a dog is the most useful and faithful animal in the world, but thereason why people keep a dog has changed. In the old days people used to traindogs to protect themselves against attacks from other beasts. And later theycame to realize that a dog was not only useful for protection but willing toobey his master. For example, when people used dogs for hunting, the dog wouldnot eat what was caught without permission.
But now people in citiesneed not protect themselves against attacks of animals. Why do they keep dogs, then?Some people keep dogs to protect themselves from robbery. But the mostimportant reason is for companionship. For a child, a dog is his bestfriend when he has no friends to play with. For young couples, a dog is theirchild when they have no children. For old couples, a dog is also their childwhen their real children have grown up. So the main reason why people keep dogshas changed from protection to friendship.
6. According to the passage, in the old days people trained dogs_______ .
A.  for protectionagainst robbery
B.  just for fun
C.  for companionship
D.  for protectionagainst other animals
7. The word “companionship”in Paragraph 2 means _______.
A.  worship
B.  treasure
C.  friendlyrelationship
D.  partnership
8. The dogs were used forhunting because ________ .
A.  they were goodhunters
B.  they obeyed theirmasters
C.  they were usefulfor protection
D.  they did not eatother animals
9. The most important reasonfor people to keep dogs now is that _______.
A.  they needcompanion
B.  they likechildren
C.  they enjoyhunting
D.  they want to protectthemselves
10. We can infer (推断) from the passage that________.
A.  dogs can behelpful to those who need company
B.  city peoplealways feel lonely
C.  dogs can beinteresting
D.  the city can be avery dangerous place
Passage 3
The biggest safety threat facingairlines today may not be a terrorist with a gun , but the man with theportable computer in business class. In the last 15 years, pilots have reportedwell over 100 incidents that could have been caused by electromagneticinterference. The source of this interference remains unconfirmed, butincreasingly, experts are pointing the blame at portable electronic devicessuch as portable computers, radio and cassette players and mobile telephones.
RTCA, an organization which advises theaviation (航空) industry, has recommended thatall airlines ban (禁止) such devices from being usedduring "critical" stages of flight, particularly take-off andlanding. Some experts have gone further, calling for a total ban during allflights. Currently, rules on using these devices are left up to individualairlines. And although some airlines prohibit passengers from using suchequipment during take-off and landing, most are reluctant to enforce a totalban, given that many passengers want to work during flights.
The difficulty is predicting howelectromagnetic fields might affect an aircraft's computers. Experts know thatportable devices emit radiation which affects those wavelengths which aircraftuse for navigation and communication. 8ut, because they have not been able toreproduce these effects in a laboratory, they have no way of knowing whetherthe interference might be dangerous or not.
The fact that aircraft may be vulnerable (易受损的) to interference raises the risk that terrorists may use radio systemsin order to damage navigation equipment. As worrying, though, is the passengerwho can't hear the instructions to turn off his radio because the music's tooloud.
11. Thepassage is mainly about __________.
A. a new regulation for all airlines        B. the defects of electronic devices  
C. a possible cause of aircraft crashes  D. effective safety measures for airflight  
12. Whatis said about the over 100 aircraft incidents in the past 15 years?  
A. They may have been caused by the damage tothe radio systems.
B. They may have taken Place during take-offand landing.  
C. They were proved to have been caused bythe passengers, portable computers.  
D. They were suspected to have resulted fromelectromagnetic interference.
13. Few airlines wantto impose a total passengers using electronic devices because_________.
A. they don’t believe there is such a dangeras radio interference  
B. the harmful effect of electromagneticinterference is yet to be proved  
C. most passengers refuse to takea plane which bans the use of radio and cassette
players
D. they have other effective safety measuresto fall back on  
14. Why is itdifficult to predict the possible effects of electromagnetic field on anairplane's computers?  
A. Because it is extremely dangerous toconduct such research on an airplane  
B. Because it remains a mystery whatwavelengths are liable to be interfered with.
C. Because research scientists have not beenable to produce the same effects in
labs  
D. Because expert lack equipment to do suchresearch.
15. Itcan be inferred from the passage that the author ________.
A. is in favor of prohibiting passengers-useof electronic devices completely  
B. has overestimated the danger ofelectromagnetic interference  
C. hasn't formed his own opinion on thisproblem  
D. regards it as unreasonable to exercise atotal ban during flight  
Passage 4
Sixteen-year-old Maria was waitingin line at the airport in Santo Domingo. She was leaving her native country tojoin her sister in the United States. She spoke English very well. Though shewas very happy she could go abroad, she was feeling sad at leaving her familyand fiends. As she was thinking all about this, she suddenly heard the airlineemployee asking her to pick up her luggage and put it on the scales(称). Maria pulled and pulled. The bag was too heavy and she just couldn’tlift it up. The man behind her got very impatient. He, too, was waiting tocheck in his luggage.
“What’s wrong with this girl?” Hesaid, “Why doesn’t she hurry up?” He moved forward and placed his bag on thecounter, hoping to check in fist. He was in a hurry to get a good seat.
Maria was very angry, but she wasvery polite. And in her best English she said, “Why are you so upset? There areenough seats for everyone on the plane. If you are in such a hurry, why can’tyou give me a hand with my luggage?”
The man was surprised to hearMaria speak English. He quickly picked up her luggage and stepped back.Everyone was looking at him with disapproval.
16.Maria’s story happened ________.
A. when she was leaving America                   B. on her way back to SantoDomingo
C. before she left the USA                                D. when shearrived at the airport
17. You believe thatthe work of the airline employee mentioned in the story is to _______ at theairport.
A. help carry people’s luggage                        B. ask people to pick upthe luggage
C. check people’s luggage                                D. take care ofpeople’s luggage
18. “Why are you soupset?” Maria said to the man. She wanted to tell him that he should not be_______.
A. surprised                       B.sad                                 C.unhappy                        D. sorry
19.“Everyone was looking at him with disapproval.” This sentence means that thepeople around felt _______.
A. worried about Maria                                    B. worried about the man
C. sorry for Maria’s manners                           D. sorry for theman’s manners
20.The author mentioned Maria’s age at the beginning of the story in order to showthat _________.
A. she was young but behaved properly                        
B. she would not have left home alone
C. everyone around her was wrong                                 
D. it was not good that nobody offered tohelp her
Passage 5
Man has learned many excitingthings from the instruments that he has sent into space in rockets.Thermometers have measured temperatures. Barometers have measured pressure.Cameras have taken pictures.
But none of these things reallysatisfies man. He wants to see space for himself. So, some countrieslikeAmericaandRussiabegan to train astronauts in 1960s and have sent them intospace successfully.The training is hard and the project is big. Later therewere even animals such as monkeys, mice and chimpanzees that made the trip intospace, too. The time has not come for families to go on space trips but todaynobody thinks that such things are impossible. Everyone knows we will have themsomeday and may have them sooner than we think.
Man feels excited when he thinksabout the future. He will someday step into a rocket and rise from the earth.But he will land somewhere else. Therocket has made it possible for man toimagine how big our world is.
21.In space research, man is not satisfied because ______.
A.rockets man has made are not satisfactory
B.things man has learned are not exciting enough
C.the pictures taken are not very clear
D.he has not yet fully realized his hope to see space for himself
22.The main idea of this passage is that _______.
A.man has tried and still wants to see space for himself
B.man has made many exciting instruments such as thermometers and barometers
C.Russia andAmericahave trained astronauts
D.man knows how big our world is
23.Man feels excited when he ______.
A.thinks about the future in space research
B.will step into a rocket, rise from the earth and landsomewhere else
C.goes on space trips freely and knows how big our world is
D.all of the above
24.“These things” in paragraph Two refer to _______.
A.rockets and instruments
B.all things done in space research except sending man there
C.thermometers and cameras
D.cameras and barometers
25.One can learn from the first paragraph that _______.
A.thermometers and barometers are very exciting
B.man has made only cameras, thermometers and barometers inspace research
C.man has learned many exciting things from the instruments he has sent intospace
D.man is very interested in various kinds of instruments
III. Vocabularyand Structure
1.  Mybrother like country music, ______ I like pop music.
A) when
B) while
C) except
D) because
2.  Whatthe leader does and says _______ of great importance.
A) is
B) was
C) are
D) were
3.  Abook emphasizes AIDS ______ a disease, not a social problem, and discusses howit can be prevented.
A) for
B) on
C) with
D) as
4.  ______hard he tried, he could not lift it.
A) Whatever
B) Nomatter
C) However
D) Although
5.  Thereis a woman at the counter who seems very angry and I think she means ______trouble.
A) havingmade
B) make
C) tomake
D) tohave made
6.  Do I have to take this medicine? It _______so terrible.
A) tastes
B) is tasting
C) is tasted
D) has tasted
7.  My aunt has lived in New York _________ 1995.
A) for
B) during
C) in
D) since
8.  I agree with him to some _______, but notentirely.
A) expand
B) extent
C) express
D) expensive
9.  I have been feeling ill _______.
A) late
B) latest
C) lately
D) later
10.  _______ joyful he was to meet his fatheragain!
A) What
B) How
C) How a
D) What a
11.  Both you and I ________ finished the work intime.
A) am
B) have
C) are
D) is
12.  The mother together with her sons ______asked to go to the court.
A) are
B) have
C) were
D) was
13.   John’s father ______ maths in thisschool ever since he graduated
A) taught
B) teaches
C) has taught
D) is teaching
14.   Don’t talk so loudly. Your father________.
A) sleeps
B) slept
C) is sleeping
D) has slept
15.   Our team _______ every match so farthis year, but we still have t
A) was winning
B) has won
C) had won
D) wins
16.   Reporters should ______ investigatingthe facts.
A) such as
B) no matter how
C) to some extent
D) stick to
17.  This flower smells ________. I like it a lot.
A) bad
B) badly
C) well
D) good
18.   Nothing can stop him from ________.
A) come
B) coming
C) to come
D) comes
19.   If it _______ tomorrow, we’ll go swimming.
A) isn’t raining
B) don’t rain
C) isn’t to rain
D) doesn’t rain
20.   Eating ______ is bad for your health.
·                 A) many
·                 B) many much
·                 C) too much
·                 D) much too
21.   He learned to speak English ______ months.
A) within
B) from
C) on
D) at
22.   The word “recently” means ________.
A) 昨天
B) 直播的
C) 最近
D) 结构
23.   Jerry didn’t tell the story to _______students in the class.
A) another
B) others
C) both
D) other
24.   The new English dictionary I bought yesterday________ me almost twenty yuan.
A) spent
B) paid
C) cost
D) took
25. I will go and get some milk, since there is ______ left.
·                 A) a few
·                 B) few
·                 C) a little
·                 D) little
26.   I went home, ______ she stayed at thestation.
A) but
B) or
C) so
D) and
27.  By the end of 2020, China ______ muchstronger and richer.
A) will become
B) would become
C) is becoming
D) will have become
28.   ______ we need more practice is quiteclear.
A) If
B) What
C) That
D) /
29.   We find _____ difficult that we shouldfinish the work on time.
A) that
B) them
C) us
D) it
30.  She chose to learn the violin in ________ to the piano.
A) limitation
B) relaxation
C) preference
D) recreation
31.   We have a growing population and_______ we need more food.
A) therefore
B) but
C) and
D) when
32.   He as well as his students _______interested in sports.
A) are
B) is
C) were
D) was
33.   ______ he is only 8 years old, he knowsmore about science than his father.
A) But
B) Though
C) So
D) Because
34.   I _____ him yesterday.
A) meet
B) am meeting
C) met
D) meted
35.   You're ________ too heavy. You have toeat less food.
·                 A) a few
·                 B) a little
·                 C) some
·                 D) any
36.   Study hard, ______ you will fail in theexam.
A) still
B) also
C) or
D) therefore
37.   If you study hard, you ______ the examination.
A) has passed
B) are passing
C) have passed
D) will pass
38.   I am _____ to cycle to school becausemy bicycle is broken.
A) able
B) disable
C) enable
D) unable
39.   It _____ them three years to build thisroad.
A) cost
B) spent
C) took
D) paid
40.   He has two daughters. One is a nurse,_______ is a teacher.
A) others
B) the others
C) other
D) the other
IV. Cloze (10×1)
Directions: There are 10 blanks in the followingpassage. For each blank there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. You shouldchoose the ONE answer that best completes the passage. Then mark thecorresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
Passage 1
Most childrenwant to be like their parents. Their lifelong 1______start to form at theearliest ages, often by mimicking 2______ members of the family. If they seeyou reading daily 3_____ for function or for pleasure — they will be more 4______to become avid (热切的) readersthemselves. If children see parents visiting libraries, 5______ and receivingbooks as gifts, and borrowing and loaning books to friends, they will knowtheir parents place a high value 6_____ reading. To create a healthy reading7______ at home, you can start with a good supply of reading materials — 8______, magazines and books.It doesn’t matter if 9______ owned or borrowed, new or used. 10_____ importantis that reading materials are a natural part of your home and everyday life.
1. A. behavior                   B.habits             C. experience             D. likes
2. A. older                         B.oldest             C. aged                       D. grown-up
3. A. either                        B.neither            C. both                       D. maybe
4. A. possibly                    B.surely              C. certainly                D. likely
5. A. buying               B.reading           C. giving              D. sending
6. A. to                              B.on                   C. in                            D. with
7. A. environment            B. situation         C. condition               D. place
8. A. pictures                    B.software         C. discs                       D. newspaper
9. A. this is                        B.they are          C. it is                         D. the books are
10. A. What’s                   B.It is                  C. You find it              D. The children are
Passage 2
You really have to get very oldbefore you realize you’re old. I’m in my middle fifties and I don’t feel oldyet. However, sometimes I look back at my childhood and 11____ things to theway life is for today’s kids. Some things have 12______ changed.
One area of change is television.Some changes have been improvements. Some changes, 13_____ the other hand, havebeen setbacks.
When I started school, most peopledidn’t have a television; TV was just beginning to get 14____. My fatherdecided to go all out and buy a 16 inch black and white Motorola set. I stillremember 15____ the Lone Ranger save people from the bad guys on that awesomeelectronic machine. That was exciting!
Now, televisions have largerpictures in full color. The pictures are 16______ and the sound is much morerealistic. The new high definition sets are made to rival movie 17______. Thevariety and quantity of programming has increased greatly. There are hundredsof 18______ and more shows than one person could ever watch. There are manyfine entertainment and 19______ shows. There’s also a lot of garbage, stuffthat most parents don’t want their kids exposed to. Overall, we have morechoices, and that is good.
I wonder what television will be 20_____when today’s kids are my age.
11. A. forget                B. remember           C. compare              D. miss
12. A. seldom               B. often                             C. usually         D. certainly
13. A. at                        B. on                                C.in                  D. for
14. A. gone          B. great                         C.expensive    D. popular
15. A. to watch   B. have watched              C. watching              D.watched
16. A. clearer               B. good                              C. cheaper                D. clearly
17. A. theater              B. mirror                   C. shade           D.screen
18. A. canals                B. chains                   C. channels              D.shifts
19. A. education B. educational                  C.educate                D. educator
20. A. likely     B.alike                      C. like        D.dislike

《大学英语1》课程综合复习资料参考答案
I. Use of English

题号

答案
C
A
D
B
C
C
A