[离线作业] 东北农业大学《大学英语Ⅲ》作业题4(easy)答案

[复制链接]
发表于 2013-8-8 09:12:36 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
作业题4(easy)
Part I Vocabulary and Structure
Directions:
There are 30 incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. choose one answer that best completes the sentence and blacken the corresponding letter on ANSWER SHEET .
1.Put the matches ____ the children’s reach.
A) within     B) out   C) beyond   D) off
2.It is so difficult for her mother to ____ several children alone.
A) come up with    B) build up   C) set up   D) bring up
3.A ____ is a person who ____ _____.
A) crime; commit; criminal   B) commit; criminal; crimes
C) commit; crimes; criminal   D) criminal; commits; crimes
4.Earthquake survival supplies include a torch, a spade, some rope and a radio ____.
A) conceiver    B) receiver   C) perceiver   D) deceiver
5.The film star went out of the hotel and was asked ____ questions.
A) a battery of    B) a bat of    C) a battle of   D) a beam of
6.You should remember to ____ your battery before you leave for it will be dead after three days.
A) chance       B) charge    C) shift   D) discharge
7.____ the rod, spoil the child.
A) Spilt       B) Square      C) Spit     D) Spare
8.Someday soon it may become possible to predict earthquakes ____.
A) in accuracy    B) on accuracy   C) with accuracy    D) of accuracy
9.There is a famous saying, which says “ Barking dogs won’t ____”
A) bite      B) bit     C) sting       D) eat
10.The worker at the airport ____ labels to the luggage of the passengers.
A) attack    B) attain   C) attach      D) attend
11.If you had been ____ in your study, you would have passed the examination without any difficulty.
A) big-minded    B) single-minded  C) broad-minded  D)narrow-minded
12.The short story ____ the heart of the little boy with its unusual plot.
A) captured      B) cost     C) cast    D) chased
13.My English professor told me to____ my vocabulary, to ____ my sentence length and to ____ my tone.
A) amplify; justify; enlarge    B)enlarge; justify; diversify   
C) diversify; enlarge; amplify    D) enlarge; amplify; diversify
14.A few villagers were ____ of “Lord Williams” but most saw nothing that aroused doubts until later.
A) suspicious    B) suspicion   C) doubtable   D) doubted
15.Women do not usually eat the recommended daily ____ of iron.
A) section      B) allowance    C) share      D) part
16.Our school ____ the principle that moral values and academic achievement are equally important.
A) operate on   B) take on   C) hold on   D) get on
17.The ____ of Liberty was dedicated on an island in Upper New York Bay in 1886.
A) Status          B) Statue           C) Stature    D) State
18.After the war, a character called Uncle Sam began appearing in political cartoon, his from ____ from an earlier cartoon character called Brother Jonathan.
A) involving     B) changing    C) evolving     D) altering
19.This painting shows a serious-looking man and a woman ____ him in front of a farmhouse.
A) along     B) besides   C) by     D) alongside
20.He got a good ___ for his honesty and hard work.
A) notoriety      B) reputation   C) name   D) knowledge
21.TOEFL stands for the ____ of the Test of English as a Foreign Language.
A) combinations   B) presentations   C) essentials   D) initials
22.The Buffalo nickel was ____ in memory of the destruction of the buffalo herds and the American Indians.
A) descended     B) designed    C) deprived    D) detailed
23.This passage is a ____ about five famous symbols of American culture, telling us the historical background of the well-known symbols.
A) narration     B) negotiation    C) notion    D) notification
24.He was strongly influenced by ____ artists and inspired by the Gothic window of an old farmhouse, but the faces in his composition were what captured the world’s attention.
A) medical      B) medium      C) medieval   D) meddlesome
25.There is a ___ of emotion within me for this stranger who so quickly came into and went from my life.
A) dwell       B) swell     C) period    D) well
26.He wasn’t ___ to sit and watch, but he could not stand unaided on the soft sand because of his lameness.
A) conceited   B) content     C) concept  D) concentrated
27.Her skin was dry after ____ to the wind during the trip.
A) failure      B) disclosure    C) exposure   D) pressure
28.The faint patient makes no attempt to ____.
A) swallow    B)swaddle    C) sward    D) shallow
28.____ for a moment that there is an earthquake. What should you do first\
A) Consume   B) Resume   C) Pursue    D) Assume
30.What we say and what we do sometimes seems ____.
A) out of the question      B) out of the limit     C) out of joint             D) out of our mind
Part II Reading Comprehension
Direction:
There are four reading passages in this part. Each passage is followed by five question, for each question there are four suggested answers marked A, B, C and D. Choose the best answer and blacken the corresponding letter on ANSWER SHEET.
Passage 1
Lord Woolf, the most senior judge in Britain believes that the civil courts are a nightmare for those trapped in their procedures. The average High Court case takes more than three years from the legal document to trial. Many personal injury cases take twice as long. The costs of these legal cases are out of proportion to the stakes. Lawyer’s fees in personal injury cases amount to more than half the claim. Some multinational (跨国的) companies complain that the British court system is slower and more expensive than any other.
The new Lord Chief Justice, Lord Bingham, describes the excessive costs of civil litigation (诉讼) as a cancer eating at the heart of the administration of justice. His point is that when justice is expensive, most people do not have access to it. These days, only the very rich or the very poor (whose costs will be paid by the state) can afford to go to court. Rising costs, therefore, also means a growing burden on the taxpayer: public expenditure on civil legal aid has increased a lot since 1983.
Cases have allowed running on and on because, at present, the lawyers set the pace, and they have no interest in seeing a quick result. Lord Woolf’s remedy is to shift control of litigation (诉讼)from lawyers to judges.
Quicker, cheaper justice is in almost everybody’s interests; but there will be opposition from two sources. The Treasury (财政部)is worried that, even though the court costs per case should fail, the costs to the state of the system as a whole will probably rise: there will have to be more judges, more staff members in the court, and the court system will need to be computerized. But such objections can be easily met. Higher court costs could be passed onto the litigants who would still pay less overall because their lawyer bills would be so much smaller.
Opposition may also come from lawyers. Some of them will complain that handing power to the courts will restrict their ability to represent their client’s interests. If justice is cheaper, it will also be rougher. Such an outcome is possible, but it is far from inevitable. In any case, the finest legal system in the world would still not provide justice if most people do not have access to it.
31. Lord Woolf describes the British court system as a nightmare because _________.
   A) many people are trapped in its procedures
   B) it takes at least 3 years before any court decision is made
   C) it is expensive and inefficient
   D) it is irresponsible and indifferent
32. As a result of the high costs of civil litigation, _____________.
   A) the poor are actually not protected by law     B) few people in Britain go to court
   C) justice is hardly existent in Britain           D) most people can not afford to go to court
33. In order to avoid the delay of cases, Lord Woolf suggests that _________.
   A) lawyer’ s fees be reduced         B) judges take over the control of litigation
   C) lawyers no longer set the pace     D) the court prescribes a time limit for each case
34. Lord Woolf’s remedy is opposed to by lawyers because ___________.
   A) the cheaper a thing is, the poorer the quality will be
   B) the court will restrict their ability to represent their client’ s interests
   C) the costs to the state of the system as a whole will probably rise
   D) the lack of money and time will result in a decline in the quality of their work
35. Which of the following is closest in meaning to the last sentence of the passage?
   A) In dealing with any legal cases, the finest legal system is not necessarily the most efficient if people do not have faith in it.
   B) It is not always the case that the best legal system is still able to provide justice even if most people do not have access to it.
   C) Whatever happens, the finest legal system in the world will not do people justice if people do not go to court.
   D) No matter how good a legal system is, it would not be able to perform its duty if people are denied access to it.
Passage 2
What kind of human being will the future spaceman be?
Will he need bones of steel and powerful muscles to resist rocket thrust, the lungs of a glass blower (玻璃吹制工人), a mighty heart, the calmness of an acrobat (杂技演员), unconscious death urges, or a schizophrenic (患精神分裂症的) drive toward isolation? Popular ideas of a spaceman tend to be funny composites of fiction and fact.
A more realistic portrait emerges from the young science of bioastronautics, the newest and strangest of medical disciplines. The astronaut may be described as a youngish man of high intelligence who is normal to an abnormal degree. On earth he may well have been a high diver, high jumper, pole vaulter (撑杆跳运动员), or acrobat. He must be highly motivated, carefully trained, and he must want to come back.
His heart and lungs must be healthy but need not be exceptionally developed, for his cabin will be pressurized. Huge muscles may actually be disadvantageous, for he will have almost no way to get exercise, and he will find that the strength of a year-old child is adequate in the weightlessness of space. A firm body and a short, strong neck will help him to withstand the tremendous forces encountered at take-off. Most important physically, his digestive system must be one that will not be upset by weightlessness; he must not be subject to motion sickness.
36. All the following are popular beliefs about the future spaceman EXCEPT that ____.
   A) faced with isolation, he is brave enough and not liable to go mad
   B) he needs to have a strong death complex
   C) he must have strong bones and powerful muscles
   D) he must be cool-headed
37. Which of the following will NOT be considered by the author as a more realistic image of the future spaceman?
   A) He must have superior intelligence.         B) He is young.
   C) He should have a strong desire to survive.    D) He doesn’t get upset easily.
38. Bioastronautics is mostly related to __________.
   A) literature    B) the science of medicine       C) biology     D) disciplines and regulations
39. “normal to an abnormal degree” (Para. 3) means________.
   A) seemingly normal but actually abnormal
   B) so ordinary that he is undistinguished in every way
   C) extremely healthy, and there is nothing abnormal with him
   D) so normal that no one believes it is true
40. To the future spaceman, what is most physically important is that _________.
   A) his vital capacity must be as great at a glass blower’s
   B) he must have a short and firm neck
   C) his heart must be comparatively large
   D) his digestive system should not be upset by weightlessness
Passage 3
Children learn almost nothing from television, and the more they watch the less they remember. They regard television purely as entertainment, dislike programs that demand their attention mad are bewildered that anybody should take the medium seriously. Far from being over-excited by programs, they are mildly bored with the whole thing. These are the main conclusions from a new study of children and television. The author, C. Cullingford, confirms that the modern child is devoted viewer. The study suggests that there is little point in the later hours. More than a third of the children regularly watch their favorite programs after 9 p.m. All II-year-olds have watched programs after midnight.
Apart from the obvious waste of time involved, it seems that all this viewing has little effect. Children don’t pay close attention, says Cullingford, and they can recall few details. They can remember exactly which programs they have seen but they can rarely explain the elements of a particular plot. Recall was in “reverse proportion to the amount they had watched”. It is precisely because television, unlike a teacher, demands so little attention and response that children like it, argues Cullingford. Programs seeking to pass on serious messages are strongly disliked. So are people who frequently talk on screen. What children like most, and remember best, are the advertisements. They see them as short programs in their own right and particularly enjoy humorous presentation. But again, they react strongly against high-pressure advertisements that attempt openly to influence them.
41. We can infer from the first paragraph that _____________.
   A) children are generally believed to get excited easily while watching TV
   B) most children like to stay up late and watch TV
   C) all children over 11 years old have watched programs after midnight
   D) children enjoy TV programs better than adults
42. “Recall was in ‘reverse proportion to the amount they had watched’” (Para. 2) is closest in meaning to _________.
   A) they can recall few details
   B) they can rarely explain the elements of a particular plot
   C) the more they watch, the less they remember
   D) children learn almost nothing from television
43. According to the passage, which of the following DO children like?
   A) Commercials.                          B) The later hours.
   C) Ads that play up their products too thinly.    D) People who talk very much on screen.
44. Which of the following statements is true?
    A) Though children like watching ads, most of them don’t believe what ads say about the product.
   B) Children can remember what programs they have seen but they don’t remember the details at all.
   C) Children believe they have the right to enjoy short and humorous programs.
   D) Children don’t remember what they have seen very well because television doesn’t demand very much attention and response.
45. What conclusion can we draw from the passage?
   A) C. CuIiingford has conducted a new study of children and television.
   B) Watching TV is obviously a waste of time.
   C) The educational function of TV is questioned.
   D) Children don’t like educational programs on TV.
Passage 4
In response to his summons(传唤,召唤), I had entered the room and shut the door quietly behind me. There was a pause of complete stillness in which the buzzing (嗡嗡声)of the bees among the pink roses sounded as loud as a flight of aircraft.
I said, “Grandfather?” on a note of painful hesitation.
His voice was harsh when he spoke, and the words uncompromising, but I had seen him wet his lips and make the attempt twice, “Well, Annabel?”
    I went quickly across the room and knelt down beside the sofa and put my hands on his lap on top of the plaid(方格呢)rug. His thin hand, with its prominent blue-knotted veins(静脉), came down hard over mine, surprisingly strong and warm.
    In the end it was easy to know what to say. I said quite simply, “I’m sorry, Grandfather. Will you have me hack?”
    The hand moved, holding mine together even more tightly. “If I said no,” said Grandfather, “it would be no more than you deserve.” He cleared his throat violently. “We thought you were dead.”
    “I’m sorry.”
    His other hand reached forward and lifted my chin. He studied my face, turning it towards the light of the window. I bit my lip and waited, not meeting his gaze. He said nothing for a long time, then, as harshly as before, “You’ve been unhappy, haven’t you?”
    I nodded. He let me go, and at last I was able to put my forehead down on the rug so that he couldn’t see my face. He said, “So have we,” and fell silent patting my hand.
46. The passage is taken from a story about a girl who has _____________.
   A) had a date and returned home late
   B) got married and come to see her grandfather
   C) made her grandfather angry and now come to apologize
   D) run away from home and returned
47. We can infer from the passage that when .Annabel enters the room she _________.
   A) doesn’t know what to say to her grandfather
   B) believes her grandfather will forgive her
   C) is prepared to get a good scolding
   D) is surprised that her grandfather is so easy to talk to
48. In the passage, the “rug” (Para. 4) is ___________.
   A) a floor covering       B) a kind of blanket     C) a tablecloth           D) a cushion
49. We can infer from the passage that Annabel’s grandfather ____________.
   A) is very strict with her     B) is too uncompromising to excuse anyone’s mistakes
   C) is passionless           D) has tender affection for Annabel
50. Which of the following best descries the relationship between Annabel and her family?
    A) Annabel’s family treats her unfairly.     B) Annabel and her family resent one another.
    C) Annabel and her family love each other.    D) Annabel and her family will never yield to each other.
Part III Cloze
Directions: There are 20 blanks in the following passage. For each blank there are four choices marked A), B), C) and D) on the right side of the paper, you should choose the ONE that best fits into the passage. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
There was a time then parents who wanted an educational present for their children would buy a typewriter, a globe or a set of encyclopedia(百科全书). Now those _51__ seem hopelessly old-fashioned: this Christmas, _52__ a lot of personal computers under the tree. _53__ that computers are their key to success, parents are also frantically insisting that children _54__ taught to use them in school--- as early as possible.
The problem for schools is that when it _55__ computers, parents do not always know best. Many schools are __56_ parental impatience and are purchasing hardware _57__ sound educational planning so they can say, :Ok, we’ve moved into the computer age.” Teachers _58__ themselves caught in the middle of the problem-between parent pressure and _59__ educational decisions. Educators do not even agree _60__ how computers should be used. A lot of money is going for computerized educational materials _61__ research has shown can be taught _62__ with pencil and paper. Even those who believe that all children should _63__ to computer warn of potential __64_ to the very young.
The temptation remains strong largely because young children _65__ so well to computers. First graders have been __66_ willing to work for two hours on math skills. Some have an attention span of 20 minutes. _67__ school can afford to go into computing, and that creates _68__ another problem: division between the haves and have-nots.
Very few parents _69__ for computer instruction in poor school districts, _70__ there may be barely enough money to pay the reading teacher.
51. A) items     B) books     C) sets     D) series
52. A) there were   B) they were   C) there had   D) they had
53. A) Given      B) Provided    C) Convinced   D) Believed
54. A) are        B) be          C) are being   D) were
55. A) talks about    B) comes to   C) turns to    D) mentions
56. A) ignorant of    B) blaming    C) yielding to   D) absent from
57. A) without      B) with       C) through      D) for
58. A) relied on     B) relaxed     C) freed       D) found
59. A) wise        B) clever       C) slow      D) enough
60.A) on          B) with        C) to        D) about
61.A) however      B) where       C) what      D) that
62.A) equally     B) in the same way   C) just as well   D) not as well
63.A) be open     B) have access    C) look      D) turn
64.A) approaches   B) exposures    C) hazards    D) laziness
65.A) adopt      B) keep         C) adapt      D) devote
66.A) watched    B) seen       C) told       D) taught
67.A) So many    B) Not every    C) No       D) Any
68.A) already     B) of course    C) in addition   D) yet
69.A) demand   B) expect    C) press   D) require
70.A) due that    B) in any case   C) although   D) where
Part IV Writing
Directions: For this part, you are allowed 30 minutes to write a composition based on the topic “My Best Friend”. You must write at least 100 words, and base your composition on the outline given in Chinese below. Remember to write clearly:
2 你最好的朋友是个什么样子的人,
3 你们如何成为好朋友的。

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表