[离线作业] 东北农业大学13春《大学英语Ⅳ》第四册作业题1(easy)

[复制链接]
发表于 2013-8-5 18:25:27 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
大学英语第四册网上作业题
作业题1(easy)
Part I Structure and Vocabulary
Directions:
There are 30 incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. choose one answer that best completes the sentence and blacken the corresponding letter on ANSWER SHEET .
1. His intelligence and experience will enable him to ____ the complicated situation.
   A) cope with    B) settle down   C) intervene in    D) interfere with
2. If a person talks about his weak points, his listener is expected to say something in the way of ____.
   A) persuasion   B) remedy    C) encourage   D) compromise
3. Most broadcasters maintain that TV has been unfairly criticized and argue that the power of the medium is ____.
   A) granted    B) implied   C) exaggerated   D) remedied
4. She was so ____ in her job that she didn’t hear anybody knocking at the door.
   A) attracted   B) absorbed   C) drawn   D) concentrated
5. Now the cheers and applause ____ in a single sustained roar.
   A) mingled    B) concentrated  C) assembled   D) permeated
6. I hate people who _____ the end of a film that you haven’t seen before.
   A) reveal     B) rewrite     C) revise    D) reverse
7. On weekend my grandpa usually ____ a glass of wine.
   A) subscribes   B) engages in   C) hangs on  D) indulges in
8. It is reported that Uruguay understands and _____  China on human rights issues.
  A) grants  B) changes    C) abandons  D) backs
9. Radio, television and press ____ of conveying news as information.
   A) are the most common three means    B) are the most three common means
   C) are the three most common means    D) are three the most common means
10. In Britain, the best season of the year is probably ____ spring.
   A) later    B) last    C) latter    D)late
11. It is reported that ____ adopted children want to know who their natural parents are.
   A) the most   B) most of    C) most   D) the most of
12. I couldn’t find ____ , and so I took this one.
   A) a large enough coat     B) an enough large coat
   C) a large coat enough     D) a coat enough large
13. He is late again today. I’ll ____ that he will not be late tomorrow.
   A) be sure    B) hope for  C) see to it   D) make it so
14. ____ quite recently, most mothers in Britain did not take paid work outside the home.
   A) Before   B) Until   C) From  D) Since
15. Will all those ____ the proposal raise their hands?
   A) in relation to   B) in excess of    C) in contrast to    D) in favor of
16. Though ____ in a big city, Peter always prefers to paint the primitive scenes of country life.
   A) grown     B) raised   C) tended   D) cultivated
17. The film provides a deep ____ into a wide range of human qualities and feelings.
   A) insight    B) imagination   C)fancy    D) outlook
18. Remember that customers don’t ____ about prices in that city.
   A) debate    B) consult   C) dispute   D) bargain
19. He asked us to ____ them in carrying through their plan.
   A) provide  B) arouse   C) assist   D) persist
20. The destruction of these treasures was a loss for mankind that no amount of money could ____.
   A) stank up to   B) make up for   C) come up with  D) put up with
21. Our son doesn’t know what to ____ at the university; he can’t make up his mind about his future.
   A) take in     B) take over   C) take up    D) take after
22. John Dewey believed that education should be a preparation for life that a person learns by doing, and that teaching must ____ the curiosity and creativity of children.
   A) seek     B) stimulate    C) shape      D) secure
23. The manager urged his staff not to ____ the splendid opportunity.
   A) drop     B) miss       C) escape      D) slide
24. The neighborhood boys like to play basketball on that ____ lot.
   A) valid     B) vain       C) vacant      D) vague
25. Areas where students have particular difficulty have been treated ____ particular care.
   A) by       B) in         C) under       D) with
26. In the Chinese household, grandparents and other relative play ___ roles in raising children.
   A) incapable   B) indispensable   C) insensible   D) infinite
27. The statistical figures in that report are not ____. You should not refer to them.
   A) accurate    B) fixed    C) delicate   D) rigid
28. The European Union countries were once worried that they would not have ____ supplies of petroleum.
   A) proficient   B) efficient    C) potential  D) sufficient
29. Operations which left patients ____ in need of long periods recovery time now leave them feeling relaxed and comfortable.
   A) exhausted   B) abandoned   C) injured  D) deserted
30. Modern forms of transportation and communication have done much to ____ the isolation of life in Alaska.
   A) break through   B) break down  C) break into  D) break out
Part II Reading Comprehension
Direction:
There are four reading passages in this part. Each passage is followed by five question, for each question there are four suggested answers marked A, B, C and D. Choose the best answer and blacken the corresponding letter on ANSWER SHEET.
Passage 1
People became quite illogical when they try to decide what can be eaten and what cannot be. If you lived in the Mediterranean, for instance, you would consider octopus a great delicacy. You would not be able to understand why some people find it repulsive. On the other hand, your stomach would turn at the idea of frying potatoes in animal fat—the normally accepted practice in many northern countries. The sad truth is that most of us have been brought up to eat certain foods and we stick to them all our lives.
    No creature has received more praise and abuse than the common garden snail. Cooked in wine, snails are a great luxury in various parts of the world. There are countless people who, ever since their early years, have learned to associate snails with food. My friend, Robert, lives in a country where snails are disliked. As his flat is in a large town, he has no garden of his own. For years he has been asking me to collect snails from my garden and take them to him. The idea never appealed to me very much, but one day, after a heavy shower, I happened to be walking in my garden when I noticed a huge number of snails taking a walk on some of my prize plants. Acting on a sudden impulse, I collected several dozen, put them in a paper bag, and took them to Robert. Robert was delighted to see me and equally pleased with my little gift. I left the bag in the hall and Robert and I went into the living room where we talked for a couple of hours. In had forgotten all about the snails when Robert suddenly said that I must stay to dinner. Snails would, of course, be the main dish. I did not fancy the idea and I reluctantly followed Robert out of the room. To my surprise, we saw that there were snails everywhere: they had escaped from the paper bag and had taken complete possession of the hall! I have never been able to look at a snail since then.
31. The word “repulsive” in line 3, Para. 1 most probably mean ______
   A) disgusting  B) pleasant  C) acceptable   D) delicious
32. We can infer from the second paragraph that when the author collected the snails
A) he was glad that he could share them with his friend
B) he was angry because they might damage his beloved plants
C) he was excited about being able to give his friend a surprise
D) he was depressed because it was hard to extinguish them all
33. Which of the following statements is true according to the passage?
A) The author could not understand why some people love eating octopus
B) Robert lives in a country where people love eating snails.
C) Snail is the most controversial food.
D) Most people in the world practice frying potatoes in animal fat.
34. The best title of this passage might be _________ .
A) One Man’s Meat Is Another Man’s Poison
B) Foods and Cultures
C) Snail and Octopus
D) Likes and Dislikes of Foods
35. The author used _____ example(s) to support the topic sentence of this passage.
A) one    B) two    C) three    D) four
Passage 2
Language learning begins with listening. Individual children vary greatly in the amount of listening they do before they start speaking, and late starters are often long listeners. Most children will “obey” spoken instructions some time before they can speak, though the word “obey” is hardly accurate as a description of the eager and delighted cooperation usually shown by the child. Before they can speak, many children will also ask questions by gestures and by making questioning noises.
Any attempt to trace the development from the noises babies make to their first spoken words leads to considerable difficulties. It is agreed that they enjoy making noises, and that during the first few months one or two noises sort themselves out as particularly indicative (标示的) of delight, distress, sociability, and so on. But since these cannot be said to show the baby’s intention to communicate, they can hardly be regarded as early forms of language. It is agreed,too,that from about three months they play with sounds for enjoyment, and that by six months they are able to add new sounds to their store. This self-imitation (自我模仿) leads on to deliberate imitation of sounds made or words spoken to them by other people. The problem then arisen so to the point at which one can say that these imitations can be considered as speech.
It is a problem we need not get out teeth into. The meaning of a word depends on what a particular person means by it in a particular situation; and it is clear that what a child means by a word will change as he gains more experience of the world. Thus the use, at say seven months, of “mama” as a greeting for his mother cannot be dismissed as a meaningless sound simply because he also uses it at other times for his father, his dog, or anything else he likes.
Playful (顽皮的) and apparently meaningless imitation of what other people say continues after the child has begun to speak for himself. I doubt, however, whether anything is gained when parents cash in on this ability in an attempt to teach new sounds.
36. Children who start speaking late __________.
A) may have problems with their hearing
B) usually pay close attention to what they hear
C) often take a long time in learning to listen properly
D) probably do not hear enough language spoken around them
37. According to the second paragraph, a baby’s first noises are ___________.
  A) a sign that he means to tell you something    B) a reflection of his moods and feelings
  C) an imitation of the spoken of adults         D) an early form of language
38. The problem of deciding at what point a baby’s imitations can be considered as speech _________.
  A) is not especially important because the change takes place gradually
  B) is important because words have different meanings for different people
  C) is one that can never be properly understood because the meaning of words changes with age
  D) is one that should be completely ignored because children’s use of words is often meaningless
39. It is implied in the passage that __________.
  A) parents can never hope to teach their children new sounds
  B) children no longer imitate people after they being to speak
  C) even after they have learnt to speak children still enjoy imitating
  D) children who are good at imitation learn new words more quickly
40. It can be inferred from the passage that when a 7-mnth baby calls his or her mother “mama” ____________.
  A) he probably has known that mother should be called in this way
  B) he probably does not know the sound stands for “mother”
  C) he probably has already known the meaning of mama
  D) it is the first meaningful sound pronounced by him
Passage 3
The “balance of nature” is not an empty phrase. Nature provides a population to occupy a suitable environment and cuts down surplus population to fit the available food supply. One means of reducing surplus population is predators(食肉动物); others are parasites(寄生虫) and diseases. Also, population density produces nervous disorders and even drivers animals to mass migrations, like the lemmings(旅鼠) of Norway who plunge(跳入) into the sea.
That predators populations increase to control other animals has long been known. Many years ago, the Hudsons Bay Company records revealed that the fox population went up and down about a year after the rabbit population had gone up and down.
Sometimes a situation occurs in which the predator population is reduced to a level below that which nature can readily replace. On Valcour Island in Lake Champlain (New York), a costly campaign resulted in the elimination of predatory animals only to have birds and small animals (including grouse(松鸡) and hares, popular game) increase for four years afterward. Then, lacking predator control, nature resorted to disease to cut down these populations.
Jamaica had an example of natures persistence in providing animals for existing habits. Sugar planters, about 75 years ago, imported mongooses(猫鼬) to control rats. The mongooses killed off the rats and, with plentiful food, multiplied. Rats became scarce and the mongooses ate lambs, kids, puppies(小狗),and wildlife. Eventually, food became scarce and the mongooses’ population declined.
41.The phrase “balance of nature” (Line 1, Para. 1) means ____________.
A) reducing the population of predators
B) keeping the right number of animals for the right amount of food
C) keeping the ration of small game to predators
D) driving animals t mass migrations
42.The fact that number of predators has much to do with that of other animals ______.
A) is not recent knowledge       B) has just been learned
C) has not proved yet            D) is not important now
43. When predators control fails, nature brings animal population into balance by _______.
A) eliminating the number of predators
B) increasing the number of other animals
C) seeping the help of disease to reduce other animals
D) replacing the number of predators immediately
44. When the mongooses in Jamaica killed off the rats they ___________.
   A) attacked humans              B) ate the sugar crop
   C) became problems themselves    D) had nothing to eat
45. It is implied in the passage that ___________.
   A) sugar planter imported mongooses to control rats
   B) man should never kill animals
   C) man has complete control over nature
   D) to upset the balance of nature can be troublesome
Passage 4
It is natural for young people to be critical of their parents at times and to blame them for most of the misunderstandings between them. They have always complained, more or less justly, that their parents are out of touch with modern ways; that they are possessive and dominant; that they do not trust their children to deal with crises; that they talk too much about certain problems, and that they have no sense of humor, at least in parent-child relationships.
I think it is true that parents often underestimate their teenage children and also forget how they themselves felt when young.
Young people often irritate their parents with their parents with their choices in clothes and hairstyles, in entertainers and music. This is not their motive. They feel cut off from the adult world into which they have not yet been accepted. So they create a culture and society of their own. Then, if it turns out that their music or entertainers of vocabulary or clothes or hairstyles irritate their parents, this gives them additional enjoyment. They feel they are superior, at least in a small way, and that they are leaders in style and taste.
Sometimes you are resistant and proud because you do not want your parents to approve of what you do. If they approve, it looks as if you are betraying your own age group. But in that case, you are assuming that you are the underdog; you cannot win; but at least you keep your honor. This is a passive way of looking at things. It is natural enough after long years of childhood, when you were completely under your parents’ control. But it ignores the fact that you are now beginning to be responsible for yourself.
If you plan to control your life, cooperation can be part of that plan. You can charm others, especially your parents, into doing things the way you want. You can impress others with your sense of responsibility and initiative, so that they will give you the authority to do what you want to do.
46.The author is primarily addressing __________ .
A) parents of teenagers              B) newspaper readers
C) those who give advice to teenagers  D) teenagers
47.The first paragraph is mainly about __________ .
A) the teenagers’ criticism of their parents
   B)misunderstandings between teenagers and their parents
C)the dominance of the parents over their children
D)the teenagers’ ability to deal with crises
48.Teenagers tend to have strange clothes and hairstyles mainly because they _______.
A) want to show their existence by creating a culture of their own
B) have a strong desire to be leaders in style and taste
C) have no other way to enjoy themselves better
D) want to irritate their parents
49.Teenagers do not want their parents to approve of whatever they do because they _________.
A)have already been accepted into the adult world
B)feel that they are superior in a small way to the adults
C)are not likely to win over the adults
D)have a desire to be independent
50.To improve parent-child relationships, teenagers are advised to be _______.
A) obedient   B) responsible   C) cooperative     D) independent

Part III Cloze
Directions: There are 20 blanks in the following passage. For each blank there are four choices marked A), B), C) and D) on the right side of the paper, you should choose the ONE that best fits into the passage. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
The formation of the atomic theory is one of the great achievements of science.  It has enabled us __51__ the properties of the elements, the basic building blocks of all matter, __52__ we know which elements can __53__ each other. The science of chemistry is based on our understanding of atoms and __54__ in interacting with one another. __55__ science called atomic (or sometimes nuclear) physics __56__ to study the structure of the atom __57__.  As the atom was investigated, it became __58__ that the atom was not a solid piece of matter; __59__ was made up of even smaller particles.  The first subatomic particle __60__ was the electron, a tiny piece of matter __61__ a negative electric charge. The __62__ of an electron was very small indeed—approximately __63__ of the weight of a hydrogen atom, __64__ all the elements.  Scientists came to believe that the electrons orbited the nucleus of the atom, __65__ almost all of the weight of the atom was concentrated.  The atom, __66__ was arranged like a very tiny solar system.  __67__ were like the planets that orbit the sun in the center.  __68__ of each atom was in fact empty space, as is the space __69__ the planets in our solar system.  The electrons __70__ the nucleus of the atom in this empty space at incredibly fast rates of speed.
51.  A) to learn about    B) of realizing   C) to understand    D) in the belief of
52.  A) so that          B) therefore    C) in order that      D) resulting from
53.  A) go together      B) work out    C) replace      D) combine with
54.  A) its property  B) their behavior   C)  its behavior     D) their performing
55.  A)  The other   B)  The           C)  One         D)  Another
56.  A)  which is B)  whose task is C)  was invented    D)  came into being
57.  A)  of all       B)  itself      C)  in an entire way   D)  by scientists
58.  A)  reasonable     B)  interesting   C)  important        D)  apparent
59.  A)  since it        B)  it          C)  but            D)  and
60.  A) people are identifying                B)  to be identified  
C) that it identifies                     D) which needs identifying
61.  A)  in           B)  of              C)  with        D)  on  
62.  A)  size         B)  weight           C)  scale       D)  pattern
63.  A)  one eighteen- hundredth       B)  one eighteenth- hundredth
     C)  One eighteen- hundreds       D)  one eighteens- hundredth                                               
64.  A)the heaviest of    B)the lightest of   C) the smallest of    D)the largest of
65.  A)  in which      B)  for which  C)  on which       D)  around which
66.  A)  in this way  B)  accordingly  C)  for instance     D)  in other words
67.  A)  The atoms  B)The neutrons C)The smaller particles  D)  The electrons
68.  A)  All       B)  Most          C)  Every            D)  Almost
69.  A)  beside    B)  in             C)  with             D)  between
70.  A)  revolve around   B)  move about   C)  are sent off by   D)  go with
Part IV Writing
Directions: For this part, you are allowed 30 minutes to write a composition based on the topic “Styles of Living” You must write at least 120 words, and base your composition on the outline given in Chinese below. Remember to write clearly:
1 有些人愿意和父母住在一起;
2 有些人想自己独立居住;
3 我的看法。

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表